An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Want to quit chewing tobacco

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Vinaya, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have nicotine addiction.I take nicotine by chewing tobacco. I have been chewing tobacco for more than 12 years. I have been trying ti give up my addiction since two years, I have tried various thing such as chewing gum, candies etc, but my addiction is still the same.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Have you tried to read Allen Carr's book, easy way to stop smoking? Don't be mislead by the tittle, it is also applicable to chewing tobacco or any other way of nicotine consumption.
    If you look on YouTube you can find the video and the audio book.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

You should first make a commitment and know why you must quit chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco can cause mouth cancer and that is something you have to consider. Know that you can save a lot of money by quitting chewing tobacco. Join groups that have the same problem and who want to quit the behavior. Get to know what makes you crave for chewing tobacco and try to avoid it.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think you should try some detox tea. Getting the nicotine out of your system could make it a bit easier. Sometimes people try to ween themselves off of things they are addicted to, by doing less and less until it's none. Just keep trying different things something has to work. You can do this.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is very true, most people that quit don't get right on the first try, but if you are persistent in your attempts to quit you will get it right.
  6. npatel2

npatel2 Member

Hey if going cold turkey hasnt been working for you, there are alternative things that you can try to slowly ween yourself off your nicotine addiction. For me I was in a similar situation to yours about a year ago and then I was introduced to vaping my a buddy of mine. At first I was skeptical of it, but I soon realized that while I was vaping my craving for dip went away. Over the last year I have been able to slowly reduce the amount of nicotine that I have been vaping and I am now close to zero nicotine. Keep on fighting buddy you can do it, you just have to be persistent about it.
  7. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It never fails to amuse me how people could become addicted to some weird things. This is my first time learning about this type of addiction and I do hope you will find the willpower to overcome. I remember at one point I kept eating baby powder and swore I was addicted, then it was limestone but I automatically quit after a period of trial and error. Best of luck my friend.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The fact is that chewing and smoking both involve nicotine intake. I sympathise with your inability to summon enough willpower to stop. You have a similar problem with those that chew khat though the addictive principle is different. I suggest you research case studies of people who stopped chewing khat. What about chewing a herb like mint or rosemary when the craving sets in?
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Please try harder. I know is not easy, but you must really make use of your will power. Because chewing tobacco is probably one of the most risky activities when it comes to oral cancer. Please try harder, there are some people who have survived to the oral cancer caused by chewing tobacco, but believe me... it came with a cost. The sooner you beat the habit and the addiction the better.