An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Want too quit..really hard

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by bonzmistrz, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Hello everybody, well I was wondering if anyone else is trying to quit and having trouble. My husband and I have been trying to quit since New Years eve. We do good for a little bit and then after hours and hours of dealing with two little one's we find ourselves getting frustrated towards each other or our children not even meaning too. Then we say screw it.
    I know some of you might be saying it's all in your mind but trust me when I say it's harder than quitting drugs. I jave a past and have been there so I definitely know.
    It's bad for both of our healths..My husband has quite a bit woke up coughing so bad at night that he has to sleep on his stomach bunched up like a baby.
    My uncle just passed away after a three year battle of cancer that started in his throat from years of smoking. I want to quit and find it so hard.
    I have called places to trying and get help..like free gum and other stuff but they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Have you read Allen Carr's "easy way to stop smoking "? It will put things into perspective, if you look on YouTube you can find his video and his audio book. If you are really having a lot of difficulty I recommend the audio book. It will out your smoking addiction into perspective.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I would like to encourage @bonzmistrz not to quit trying. These things take time; don't be too hard on yourself. Discourage yourself from purchasing cigarettes; rather when urged to buy, put the money in a special box and watch it grow.

The more research you do on quitting, the better educated and informed you are. Children will tend to frustrate you, rather than turning to your old habits, go into your closet and yell or go for a run to release the tension. Find alternatives that will make your quitting a success.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have a friend who tried to give up smoking for years [from 2005 on . . .

He'd try and fail. Try and fail. He never stopped trying. His last attempt was in 2013. Said he would stop smoking on New Year's day. It was hard for him but when cravings assailed him he'd chew some mint-flavored candies. He said they helped. He hasn't smoked since.

I believe that as long as you are willing to fight and beat the addiction, you can do it but it might take a while. It took my friend 8 years . . .
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Don't ever give up, @bonzmistrz. It took me five or six tries before I finally quit for good 25 years ago. Quitting smoking is hard. Damn hard. But it's incredibly worth it. Never stop trying, my friend.
  6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

It's a plus that you have realised that quitting smoking is a very difficult task, therefore, you should now be prepared to put in some hard work and determination to achieve this goal.
    I urge you to stick to the task and each time it may seem you are failing, kick a bit harder. I suggest u got to the WebMD site there you will get some useful tips to help your cause
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It sounds like your relapses are stress related. The best thing to do is find a healthier alternative for dealing with the stress in your life. Try exercise and a healthy diet. Finding ways to deal with your everyday stress better will definitely help you avoid relapses.
  8. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

9. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

I really appreciate that. Even when I don't have anything else(although some might say it's in my head) cigarettes calm me down when my kids get too me or my husband gets in his mood because he hasn't smoked and the kids are getting to him. Things are tough sometimes and well I guess for me I say at least I am just smoking instead of other things. Honestly I can not say that us the case tonight. I do want to quit. My husband and I both do, it's just when I hit that weak moment mt husband feels sorry for me and then he does too. So does that make me the worse between us???
  10. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

I thank you for your help and suggestions. What ideas do you have for someone who lives in a motel at the moment and can't leave her kids home while jogging or screaming in the closet. My kids would totally freak. Major mommas kids. If something is wrong with momma then they get scared.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think there is always hope as long as the person in question doesn't stop trying. The day you stop trying is the day the battle is lost. So don't give up OP, keep on trying until you get it right. It might take a while but it's well worth it. Relapses are a normal part of this process, so don't feel bad if it happens.

Also remember we are here to help and listen, so please feel free to contact us :)
  12. Joethefirst

It doesn't matter how many times you might try eventually you will be able to give up this terrible addiction. This post is very inspirational glad you shared it with us.
  13. blenly

blenly Member

One thing I did to motivate me was to look at timelines of how your health will improve after smoking. I was amazed to see how quickly things start to improve after your last cigarette. Also in my experience the withdrawals weren't that bad after the first few days. I did get a bit restless from time to time and for about a week I was snacking constantly. One thing I did to make sure I didn't put weight on fast was snack on carrot sticks. They are crunchy and sweet - the two things that I was craving. That way I didn't pile on weight and I stopped snacking pretty quickly after becoming sick of carrot sticks.

In terms of the timeline I just Googled "What happens after you stop smoking?"
    These are some of the points:
    • In 20 minutes heart rate drops towards normal levels
    • In 2 hours heart rate and blood pressure near normal
    • In 12 hours carbon monoxide levels and blood oxygen levels are near normal
    • In 24 hours apparently risk of heart attack has already begun to drop
    Most of these list go all the way up to about 15 years after quitting smoking.

Remember it may be hard to stop at first, but most withdrawals won't last longer than two weeks. Two weeks of hardship is nothing when the rest of your life you'll reap the benefits.
  14. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Hello everybody, well still trying to quit. I made some progress yesterday..Lets see(have to think about when I smoked starting when husband left for work which is 4:30) okay so I had a total of six cigarettes yesterday.
    I keep telling myself that it is better for my health(especially as bad as my genes are) definitely better for my kids...Not too mention my husband says I will be able to smell everything better (back when he was with his ex wife he quit for about siix months) and food would even taste better.
    Now I love steak and ribs and good hamburgers..could you imagine the taste if meat turning out better than what it already is?? I can't wait to find out.
    I need to say something, I never really thought that being part of a group, a community would be able to help(as when I was younger I was part of an anger group ans thus ended up being something I had to grow up and figure out on my own) but I was really wrong. I want to say thanks to everyone and that it is really helping. Can't wait to finally quit.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Cutting down on the number of cigarettes you're smoking each day is a huge step in the right direction, @bonzmistrz. Congrats on the progress! And yes, your husband is right: Food WILL taste better! It's true!!

As far as being part of this group... We're glad you're here and that you're getting something out of it. We're here to help and support you, my friend! :)
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

6 cigarettes is not bad. Just keep on cutting back slowly. Your body will start to crave nicotine less and less. I smoke a little too, but sometimes I forget I even have tobbacco because I don't smoke everyday. Sooner or later, it will be less important to you. It is a good thing to do to quit,,,and keep reminding yourself of the reasons you want to.
  17. blenly

blenly Member

I'm glad to see things are heading in the right direction for you! Just take things one step at a time.

It's not only your taste that will get better, your sense of smell will too. I remember about a week in to not smoking I went in to my room and I could smell the air freshener that I had put in the room weeks earlier. When I bought it I remember thinking to myself ,"This is rubbish it only smells if I put my nose right up close." As it turns out it was actually my reduced sense of smell and not a bad air freshener!
  18. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

Former smoker here chiming in. I am about 5 months or so smoke free. I've quit many times in the past and the motivation to quit this time was weight loss surgery. The only way I could get the surgery was to be completely smoke free and so I did it. It is hard, I totally agree. But the feeling I have now from not being dependent on those damn things is unreal! I feel free and can smell and breath. My husband is still a smoker and unbelievably the smell of him doesn't make me crave it at all..it makes me sick smelling smoke now. Just be patient and don't be too hard on yourself. I'm proud of you for taking the steps toward quitting..I know you and your husband will both do it if you all are taking these steps to do so already.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is definitely hard to get rid of an addiction but one should not stop trying. Right that it could take several tries before one can totally get rid of it. Try to find more motivation to help you along the way or process.
  20. Joethefirst

That is the real secrete to stopping. Never stop trying, it doesn't matter which method you use, you will eventually stop.