An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Wanting to smoke?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Lucy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Lucy

Lucy Member

I am not a smoker, but I keep getting urges to start smoking. Isn't that stupid? I feel so dumb. Idk why I keep wanting to smoke but I really do. Is it possible to just be a casual smoker? I want to smoke but I do not want to get addicted!
  2. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

The problem with smoking is that it needs a lot of willpower not to become an addict, as with any other drug. For years I thought I was just a casual smoker, until I realized that I had a pattern that had turned into addiction. I thought that since I smoked less than the average smoker, and never close to one pack a day, I was ok. Turns out that I was smoking almost every day, anyway.

As for the urges, it's understandable. For example, do you see a lot of movies? Many main characters are shown smoking when thinking, relaxing, celebrating or just looking seductive (specially in old movies, when they didn't really know the adverse effects of smoking). You might just subconsciously want to feel what they feel. Or maybe it's someone in your life that you might want to emulate. Either way, my advice would be not to start smoking.
  3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Do not start to smoke, period. If you start to smoke, you will want to do it more than once, and then, you will want to do it occasionally, and then, you will start to form a habit of smoking, which will turn to a bad habit of chain smoking, or, if you really just smoke every once in a while, think about the effects; bad breath, dry mouth, weak lungs, dull skin and nails, and just a totally different look form how you were when you were not smoking, start to chew gums instead, it'll make your teeth whiter :-D
  4. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

To answer your question as asked, yes, that's stupid. Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. Smoking causes lung and and heart disease. Cigarettes are expensive and make everything you own smell like smoke. No one thinks it's cool any more. We all know it's deadly. Yes. It's stupid. Don't do it. Period.
  5. DAE89

DAE89 Member

How old are you? I started smoking cigarettes when i was 14, in an attempt to be "cool" and fit in with the people I was hanging around with, thinking I could just do it casually. It started as just doing it out with my friends, then before I knew it I was sneaking off at home to have a smoke by myself. If I could do it all again I definitely would not have started. It's a waste of time, money, and health. If you start smoking, you will get addicted.

However, when I was that age, I would've blown off the advice I just gave and done what I wanted. One thing you could look into if you absolutely feel like smoking is a vaporizer. While most e-liquid contains nicotine, they do make liquid with 0 nicotine content. You could smoke that, and avoid getting addicted to nicotine itself. Be aware, vaporizing in a fairly new phenomenon, so there are no long term studies on the health risks of it.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  6. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I am curious how old are you? Smoking will not make you look mature or smart. Nicotine is addictive. Never start smoking, period. It will take strong willing power not to be addicted to smoking.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Smoke what?! Smoking is ambiguous and can imply anything that can be burned and inhaled by a human - it's like saying,"I want to eat," but eat what?! Knowing specifics and distinguishing that particular thing in one's mind, will go far in helping one find a solution to one's problem.

As for smoking cigarettes and cigars, glad I never started that habit.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Don't do it please!!!! I urge you are anyone else that is possibly thinking of lighting up a cigarette don't. I haven't the time to tell you of all the many disadvantages that go with being a smoker. I can tell you the biggest is being very unhealthy. Your health will suffer, and will continue to decline as long as you smoke.
  9. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

Well I've been a casual smoker so to say. But most people obviously get addicted to it, chances are you're part of most people. I think it's good that you don't want to get addicted, it might help to prevent you from starting smoking.
  10. karmaskeeper

I remember when my mama would drink. Which she didn't drink very often she couldn't handle her booze. She would want a cigarette, and she wasn't a smoker either. Well it was so funny to see her tipsy with that cigarette in her hand. She was trying to be so lady like, kind of like a movie star.
  11. karmaskeeper

Smoking is no joke!!!! It is deadly it kills a person slowly. I have seen way to many people die from smoking. In fact I have a friend right now in a hospice house. I talked to her daughter today, and they aren't expecting her to come home this time. Yes I said this time she has been in hospice before.

She doesn't even weigh 100 pounds she's always been a tiny thing, but she was also a very heavy smoker. She has been on oxygen for a long time. It's not really helping her the damage is just to severe.
  12. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

That is exactly how I got started. I thought that I never would get addicted. I first started maybe smoking a few per week. I moved to Southern California and with the stress of the traffic I increased that to some where near a pack a day. I assumed that I would never be able to be addicted to smoking. Boy was I wrong. Now I am addicted and it has become a hardcore habit for me. I would suggest not taking on the habit even if you have the urge. You more then likely will become addicted over time.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it is possible to be a casual smoker. I have a few friends who only smoke when they drink and they never do it on a daily basis even after years of sticking to this routine. It's not a method for everyone though so I think you should proceed with caution if you are to consider picking this habit up even with the goal of keeping it casual.
  14. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I say you just don't do it :) It is not worth doing for something so stupid. What are you getting from it? nothing. I never got anything from it I can tell you that. If you are feeling that much of an urge I say go get an electric cigarette or something. At least it will trick your mind that you are smoking since you have never actually smoked.
  15. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Smoking is a risk. Once you get involved with a stick, there's this yearning for more, especially if you don't have other activities to delve into. Addiction to cigarette is very fast, and the smoke a stick contains shorten your lifespan by a minute.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If you don't want to get addicted then don't do it. Pretty simple answer, and you don't have to think too hard about it.
  17. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

You won't get addicted if you don't want it. It's all on your mind, all psychological. It is true that tobacco is very addictive, but it's in your hands to let him beat you or not.
  18. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

It is possible to be a casual smoker, some people only smoke socially but it is not likely. The fact is that a majority of people who try it become hooked. I smoked for 17 years! I never expected to smoke for that long and it was very difficult to quit. I recommend staying away from cigs!
  19. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

No, you'll never be just a casual smoker, believe me. Once you start, you start for good, the only way of being a casual smoker, it's probably to smoke once or twice a year which it isn't great if you feel the urge to smoke. Depends on what you want to feel, you can keep going and feel the urge to start, or you can start and feel the urge to stop, be full of regrets for starting and wondering why did you make this mistake.
  20. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I agree with GenevB. Casual smoking is a passport to the more chronic symptoms of cigarette addiction. Once you tasted a cigarette stick, the yearning won't end unless you put a stop to the habit.