An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Was Alcohol a Big Problem in College for You?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by stridee, Aug 16, 2015.

1. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Nowadays, college students are exposed to the substance of alcohol. It is almost everywhere. Going to a party in college probably means that there is some sort of alcohol involved. During your college years, how big of an impact was alcohol to you?
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Alcohol was a big part of my college life. Every party or hanging out that I went to had lots of alcohol in them that I couldn't help but drink until I get drunk. Good thing I was still able to manage my studies and have never let the alcohol affect it. I can say I enjoyed my university days but I still would never advise anyone to try out the things I did before because alcohol can still ruin one's life if you let it influence you and your actions. College can still become memorable and enjoyable even without the use of alcohol.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Yes it was. It was the first time I was able to break away from my parents grip and I celebrated like other underage drinkers did with a lot of alcohol and all night parties. That is the way we did it back in the early 90s. But you know what, it never slowed down for me. I kept on drinking and partying all the way til my mid 30s. Some people don't learn until they hit the proverbial wall so to speak. I had my moments, and I'm done with those days.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

Wasn't that much of a problem to me because I was already drinking before going to college. The real problem for me was that I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I think kids should spend at least a year off to think things through and decide what they really want to do without any pressure from mom and dad.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Alcohol was a huge part of my college life. I didn't always partake in all of the drinking but it was readily available. There were so many parties and get togethers and alcohol was always an big part of them. People were encouraged in binge drink and there were always lots of drinking games going on so that everybody would get totally wasted. Sometimes I wonder how people got through college with all the drinking and partying going on. I know so many people that missed classes after a night of binge drinking. I, also, know people who dropped or failed out mid term because they couldn't keep up and would have done better had drinking not been such a huge part of their time there.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

I used to take alcohol when I was in college. Luckily I was not an alcoholic since I could go out to drink once or twice a month. I associated my drinking to influence, since I had friends who could offer to buy for me alcohol. Sometimes I managed to avoid them but sometimes I could not.
  7. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

It wasn't for me personally because I hadn't really discovered alcohol much yet at that point. I was still mostly a designated driver for people if I did go out, but most times, I was working on focusing on school, so I wasn't a partier.

When I did end up getting into alcohol more, I would buy it and drink it alone in my room while I was doing other things. It wasn't really a result of college itself or other people influencing me at all.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

When I was in college, it was usually food trips, singing in videoke, playing at arcade games or just staying on someone's house for a project whenever we go out. Alcohol is not a big thing on us and none of close college friends were into drinking that time.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think most people that go to college will have the whole alcohol and parties experience that's associated with it.

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a drink problem in later life though and I just see it as all part of the growing up process.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I admit I was a bit of a heavy drinker in college, specially during the first two years of it. I was some sort of a rebel kid who would sometimes cut classes just to hang out with friends. But yeah, thankfully, I've eventually came to my senses and studied really hard. I got a full scholarship due to my hardwork. :)
  11. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I once got very drunk when I was in college due to a friend of mine who insisted I'd drink a bottle of wine with him at the corner of the street. When I got back to my class, I really couldn't focus on absolutely anything at all. Never doing that again!