An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Was legalising alcohol a wise move?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Elendil, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

In modern times debates rage hotly about whether or not legalizing marijuana is a mistake(or a good thing to do). But people don't really pay attention to the already legal (and far more harmful and lethal, by a long margin) alcohol. Why is this? Why do you think that legalising alcohol was a good (and according to some, bad) move? Let the debate rage!
  2. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Alcohol has only been illegal during the prohibition and any history book will tell you the same thing. The alcohol consumption remained the same, just that the sellers were underground sellers, and hard liquor was far more common than beer and alcohol. The supply and demand in this particular case remains pretty much the same, and some people are getting rich of it illegally. I think legalizing it was a wise move, at least this way people know what they are buying.
  3. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

People are still making their own alcoholics beverages. One of the reasons selling alcohol is legal is the fact that there will always be buyers for it, no matter of the price. However, certain regions on Earth exist only because they make and sell wine. Authorities are getting taxes for it and so on. It's a neverending cycle.

Trying to ban it would simply crush the economy of certain communities, not to say that it would make a lot of underground sellers richer than they already are.
  4. Waterel

Now that you mention it, 111kg, obviously people are still making their own alcoholic beverages, and in my country this thing is still happening a lot. Homemade wine and hard liquor are really common and older people never buy alcohol, as they are kind of elitist thinking that their drinks are the only one that are good.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Prohibition created more complications whilst at the same time failing to solve the existing [alcoholism] problem.

It always happens that when drugs can't be sold legally [but there are people wiling to buy them] someone will find a way to secure the drugs and sell them at a higher price.

IMHO though prohibition was repealed much later it had achieved nothing so it really didn't make any difference.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Where I come from the old timers think the same way. It's obvious that if you try their wine you always have to complement them on their wine making skill, doesn't matter how bad it is.
    Waterel likes this.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think it is better to have it legal where we can control it more. At least when it is legal, we can get a rough idea where it is being purchased and by who. During the Prohibition Era, people were making their own alcohol and selling it on the black market, you never knew what was in that type of alcohol. At least now that it is legal and there are licensed distilleries around, we are more able to keep tabs on it.
  8. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I think that part of the reasoning goes that alcohol in moderation is relatively safe - and possibly beneficial - but other substances, such as those that have to be smoked, or other obviously dangerous substances like cocaine, have no social or dietary utility. I'm not saying I agree with that, but some people do argue the point in this way.
  9. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

In my mind it is on the person to drink responsibly.
  10. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I personally think that legalizing alcohol comes with the good and bad. The good part is that there is no longer smuggling alcohol everywhere causing violence. The bad part is that now alcohol is so common that it's not really considered a dangerous drug.
  11. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Whether a substance is legal or not, people will still find a way to get hold of them. In my opinion, I think that it's best to legalize them so that they can be regulated. I also think that there should be a law that limits the number of bottles of booze or any alcoholic beverage that a single person could buy. As of now, I do not think that there's a limit to how much we can buy from the stores or bars, thus a lot of people imbibe more that they can handle most of the time.
  12. Waterel

I relate to this soo much. Every time I have to drink such wine it tastes like spoiled wine, close to vinegar, but they swear by their skills and on how good and natural it is. To be honest, I don't enjoy any type of wine. But usually the homemade one is simply gross.
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Drugs are illegal and people still get them. It doesn't stop them from using them and becoming addicted to them. So whether alcohol was legal or not it would make no difference. People would get their hands on it and be addicted to it. It is up to the individual to be responsible when consuming alcohol and I do believe that most people do because it is a problem for some it shouldn't be illegal for all.
  14. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Rosyrain put forward an excellent point, if it was illegal people would just make alcohol at home or buy it at black markets, this way that it is today, every drink is as healthy as it could possibly be.
  15. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Prohibition doesn't work; it never has and it never will. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. The only things prohibition changes is the supplier, the quality of the drug, and the safety of purchasing them.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Alcohol is widely accepted in our society, and I don't think prohibiting it would somehow decrease the number of people who drink.
  17. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

It seems that the general consensus leans towards the 'It was a good decision' front, and for good reason. But that obviously begs the question, why so much discussion on the matter of legalising other drugs, like... I dunno, marijuana? Or LSD? Or anything for that matter?

Keep in mind that alcohol is never a good thing. Contrary to popular belief, alcohol has zero beneficial effects, except maybe as an antidote to Methyl Alcohol poisoning.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

The question to ask is not if having booze legal is good (which really its not) BUT how bad is having it illegal?
    Prohibition was an interesting time. The amount of booze consumer didn't really drop.
    BUT how it was made (quality, safety ect) who was making and selling it and profiting from it (criminals) where it was consumed (underground) ect ect ect.
    So is having alcohol legal good for society? Well no of course not.
    Is having it illegal even worst, many would argue yes.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

I think that alcohol was legalised so that governments can monitor the manufacturing standards. It was also legalised because it does not affect those who take it in moderation. I do wonder whether we had alcoholics by the year 1500. It seems that we have forgotten about our social values that is why we have a lot of people taking alcohol. Governments also considered legalising alcohol since they wanted to apply taxes hence raising their revenue.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

In ancient times alcohol was legal. Even in the bible people drank wine, but weren't supposed to get drunk. I think there's a certain level of responsibility involved with alcohol just like with marijuana. People can easily make alcohol and I guess they felt there was no reason it shouldn't be taxed. It could be possible this may happen with marijuana.