An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Wasted money!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by 6up, Apr 7, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Sometimes I calculate all the money that I spent when I used to drink, and I usually feel bad. I preferred expensive whisky brands but did not think of wearing good clothes. Anything cheap was my consideration without thinking about its quality. It was difficult to have a good meal because I saved money for alcohol on weekends. Even going to hospital was difficult because I thought that I could get better the following day!
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  2. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Well, it sounds like this idea of saving money helps you in a way to stay sober. It sounds like nowadays, you are able to understand how spending or saving all your money on alcohol consumed your life.

I would suggest to not feel guilty about your past actions of spending habits because it sounds like you have moved forward! I would give yourself a pat on the back and buy that next cool outfit! I would go to get your annual check-ups and celebrate your new found health! I would go out and eat that expensive mean at your favorite restaurant and toast your success and good health with a glass of organic pineapple juice (my favorite drink lol)!

It is refreshing to hear about how you now understand the unnecessary waste of spending your money on choices that only hurt you in the long run! Good job, keep it up!
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I tallied up a similar list with one of my close friends. The amount of money he spent on alcohol, weed, fast food to pacify the hunger that both of those things bring and other drugs, he was spending somewhere close to $600 dollars every month and a half. That is straight up ridiculous. People do not realize how expensive drugs are.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You remind me of my grandfather. He was a raging alcoholic who slept with a gun under his pillow. And he always hid his money in different places so that no-one would know he had any. Then he would go to the liquor store and get himself some scotch or whisky or whatever he drank back then, plus the rudimentary pack of cigarettes. That was his daily routine - drink, smoke, yell and go to bed. He ultimately died of laryngeal cancer without leaving so much as a dime to his family. May his soul rest in peace.
  5. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way. I'm not saying you are anything like him. It's just that when you said you had been saving money for alcohol, it brought back a lot of memories. I'm sure you're a better person than my grandfather ever was.
  6. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

It seems the story is the same with my father-in-law. He has more than enough money for his basic needs like food, clothes and medicines. But he will not spend them on those, he would rather use that money to drink alcohol. You won't see him buying good food or healthy and nutritious ones, and definitely not expensive meals. He would look for the cheapest items on clothes even with questionable quality. But at the end of the day, he would spend all his money on beer or vodka or whatever he fancies. The money he spends for one night drinking alcohol is more than enough to cover his food allowance for one week.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

So you invest more in alcohol than anything else in your life. I am not certain about your current circumstances but if you've already overcome this lifestyle, then kudos to you. There are far more important things that won't put a large sum to waste. Education, for instance. Other important investments could be capital for your future business.
  8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Same here, I did that too. I found out that I would spend about $4000 a month just on drinking. I would never have been able to marry and raise kids if I had continued. Maybe I wouldn't even have met my wife, because I would have died because of liver problems.
  9. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Oh it always comes as a surprise to all of us. We just end up wondering the next day how we spent all that money on things that we really don't need. But we might as well enjoy the fruits of our labor.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I feel sick when I think about all the money I have wasted on cocaine in the past. It's one of my biggest regrets in life. Still, you can't spend your life looking backwards can you? I'm sure I'll be in the position where I've got spare cash again sometime soon, I'll just be a little more sensible with it this time around!
  11. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Thinking of all the money spent in buying alcohol is not one thing my government promotes. You see, here in the Philippines, you can get a bottle of gin for less than a dollar. And that gin is quite strong already at %80 proof. If based on salary, a minimum wage earner can get really drunk with an hour's worth of work. I don't know if this is the case in other countries, but being a hard drinker in the Philippines is not expensive.
  12. Matthodge1

Cocaine is definitely one of the most expensive drugs that are out there, so you must have spent a pretty penny! Do you mind sharing the total amount?
    missbishi likes this.
  13. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that's the nature of addiction and vice. It takes from us. Financially, mentally, physically, more. I would dare say that most addictions come at a steep price, some more than others, but almost always at a price. I think it's a great idea to look at what you are gaining when you stopped, because too many people focus on what they are loosing when they abstain from substances. Sounds like you're on a good path.
    stariie likes this.
  14. missbishi

It runs into thousands. Thousands of pounds just wasted. At that time in my life, I was earning good money but I worked hard for it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the amount of work I was doing perpetuated the habit. That was eight years ago and I might be poor now but at least I'm clean.
  15. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Stop thinking about it, man. You'll just get depressed. Think about positive things!
    stariie likes this.
  16. missbishi

You're right! It's all done and dusted and years behind me. I know I'll never go back and that in itself is something extremely positive!
  17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

My ex was like that too. He would surely budget to make sure he had enough to drink, but wouldn't think about getting food or how he was going to pay a bill. He couldn't hold a job, but somehow find a way to drink everyday even though he couldn't help with bills.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I hope that your realization that you are just wasting your money on alcohol will be enough to make you want to quit buying it or even drinking it for free like in parties. Whenever you have the urge to drink, just think about what other substantial things that you can buy with your money and hopefully you will get discouraged and will not push through with buying it.
  19. Matthodge1

Honestly, that is the best way to look at it. Your well being is much more important than your income, even though many people would disagree with me on that fact.
  20. Matthodge1

I agree with this too! The more people linger on the negative parts of their addiction and their habits, they will sink into a sadness, and that is definitely counter-intuitive to the healing process.