An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Watch your surroundings in public

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Jasmine2015, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard stories about people going to clubs and ordering a drink. Just when the person looks away, someone else puts something in your drink without you knowing it. I don't go to clubs or bars but are these types of stories true? Would you take a chance on drinking or drink when you know you haven't watched it 100% of the time? I have heard about employees in restaurants doing nasty stuff to people's food and drink but it was never drug related.
  2. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

It's possible, sometimes even people you call friends may put something in your drink as a "joke" or to "boost you up". I've personally been in very sketchy situations, and I believe I've had stuff put in my drinks a couple of times, but I can't know for sure, and I am not sure I want to.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have heard these stories from the community man times.
    Good bartenders will keep an eye out, as well as any other staff should too.
    Rule is just don't leave your drink unattended.
    Wasn't really a big thing when I was drinking so we didn't worry about it.,
    But these days your gotta watch out.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have heard stories of that happening around here. A co-worker's son went out drinking one night. He woke up in a alley, he had been raped and beaten and he could not remember anything from the previous night. The last thing he remembered was being at a bar and he was talking to his guy. He had only had two beer at the time. It was determined that somebody had put something in his drink but he didn't know the person so they were never able to identify who did it. It can be scary out. If you are going to drink at a bar you should never leave your drink unattended. You never know who is watching you.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have heard something about that in the news before and so I think there are true cases of that. So better to be careful when going on such places and be attentive to your drinks whether it is just plain juice cause someone might put something on it and take advantage of you.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's highly possible. I have also heard similar news/reports about such situations. And yes, if you're going to a bar/club, make sure you are with someone you totally trust. Don't drink too much, or use drugs, these substances could help lose your focus. Always be attentive, and trust your instinct.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is true this happened to someone I knew once. You have to be careful at parties and clubs. You never know who will be in public places. I would never leave a drink unattended at a bar. I agree you have to watch your surroundings.
  8. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

It happens on a regular basis in some of our local bars, and at this point I think a few of the bartenders are in on it. My best friend is a bartender and I know that she watches like a hawk, but some others don't even try.

Anyway, never take your eyes off of your drinks.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This is more common than people would like to think. I always thought that this only happened once in a while and was mostly a scare tactic, but I was sadly informed otherwise. I never leave my drink unattended. I don't care where I am. I will only leave my drink with someone I trust. Luckily, I never go out alone and am constantly surrounded by people I love and trust.
  10. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

I usually go to the one bar only. So, I personally know all the bartenders there and even consider them friends. So, they're kinda good people and never do stuff like this.
  11. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

However, I really appreciate your concern and I will be watching my drinks carefully. By the way, I don't usually leave them anywhere.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I rarely go to bars, and when I do, I am with my drink the whole time...so I don't think I have anything to worry about. I can't imagine that happening out here in the boonies, but I guess it could happen anywhere. It is just one of the things you need to look out for when out in public.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This used to be quite common where I live many years ago. I've known it to happen to a few people back then and I've had it done to me on one occasion. It's not nice and obviously can dangerous. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to happen anywhere near as much in this area these days. Never leave your drink unattended when in public.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Whilst it's never happened to me, I've absolutely heard of it happening in my city - there was a fairly big awareness campaign about not leaving your drink unattended for that very reason here. It's not worth the risk, I think -- sure, it might be a little paranoid to assume that every person that goes near your drink could be putting something in it, but I always prefer to be safe than sorry.
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, I've heard of these things happening but I've never experienced it on a night out. These stories started surfacing around 10 years ago, women were targeted in particular. There are too many shady people out there and it's best to be careful with who you go out with and which nightspots you frequent.
  16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

That's how I like to think of it as. Better safe than sorry. I don't understand why people have to do the craziest things to others but want to be the same ones wondering why the world has so many troubles.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is important to keep an eye on your drink and see the bartender pours exactly what you order and it looks the way it is meant to be which is going to make the drink enjoyable and also be with people who are going to be supportive and help you keep an eye on what you drink and not get drugged out during the night. It is going to be important to be aware of your surroundings and also the bar you enter should have a good reputation, and also you need to be careful of where you go as some bars can have a bad reputation and a bad grade as well. I think that it is something we need to be careful of and also you need to check how the drink and mad and who is sitting near you and also what sort of people they are.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  18. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Drugging somebody is extremely dangerous and people have to keep their head on a swivel at all times.
  19. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

It happens, but it's not nearly as common as people make it seem. When it does happen, it's not going to be with cocaine. Downers are much more commonly used to drug people than stimulants, especially such a short-acting one.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I heard a lot stories like those while growing up, I guess that this kind of incidents did happen in the past, and do still happen. Because well there is a lot evil in the world. Thankfully that never happened to me, I was never into clubbing.