An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Watching addiction focused shows - harmful or helpful?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Janie, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Do you think watching shows like Intervention, or watching movies about addicts and their addiction, is harmful or helpful for recovery? Why?
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

I think it depends on the individual situation. If you watch a show with a positive outcome, then it is mostly likely going to make a positive impact and create motivation. However, a show or movie where the end result is just bad can create an emotional impact on some people. On the other hand, if you are a strong person, it may not matter at all either way.
  3. Linno

Linno Member

I think triggers will be diferent for everyone but I'd say people should avoid them if they are not sure if it'd be a personal trigger for them. External triggers could be back vivid memories and really halt someone's progress so why risk messing with that just for some entertainment. I think over time people can identify their triggers more easily but if in doubt, avoid.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Such shows can either be inspirational to the recovering addict or make him/her relapse depending on the shows content. Instead of trying to find out what the possible outcome might be, it's better to avoid watching such shows.
  5. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

Like someone already said it depends on the addiction the show is covering. For me, the shows have done nothing other than make me wonder why they cannot change their life. Then I have to remember I was in their position at one point in time.
  6. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think they're a positive thing for most people. Many addicts think they "don't really have a problem" or think their problem "isn't that bad". But then they see these people on these shows and go "oh my god I do that to get money too" or "I can see myself ending up like that".

They also see how family members who have had to cut addicts out of their lives really DO care and WILL support them if they are ACTUALLY getting help.

Overall, I think the shows portray interventions and rehab as supportive, good things and probably helps many addicts realize they have a problem or that they need help.
  7. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I think I might agree with you, HugsNotDrugs. I think some addicts might not think they have a problem. But then they watch a show or movie, and suddenly feel like they can relate really well to the addict. Seeing that they can relate to this person might make them maybe consider they have a problem as well. Sometimes a lot of us go in autopilot and just act without thinking, but a show like intervention might make an addict think about their own actions and thoughts, and see there might be a problem.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I don't know if it's harmful or helpful, but they are intriguing. I watch intervention and breaking point habitually. It's like watching a car accident happen and I can't get enough of it.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I appreciate that these type of shows can act as triggers for some people but I find them quite inspirational. I always end up rooting for the addict and I often shed a tear or two when you se them making a success of thier life.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Some of those shows can be very helpful to someone who is going through addiction or has gone through addiction. However, I have read up on some of them, and there are some that are staged. So I guess it really just depends on the show.
  11. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I think it can be something inappropriate to watch specially for people who are in the height of their dependency and usage. For both addicts and recovering addicts, it can give them mixed signals like how addicts may look at it as something hopeful the same way as recovering addicts may see it inspiring. Others may feel anxious because it reminds them of their low points in life. Though it can be a positive experience its best to weigh the person's sensitivity against the theme of the show and avoid watching if there is any possibility in setting off even the smallest triggers.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I loved watching Intervention back in the day. I haven't watched in a long time. We don't have Direct TV anymore so I miss a lot of those shows. I was still a big drinker when I use to watch it. It was for me a show that I could totally relate to.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've watched it a couple times and it definitely has given me a new perspective on addiction. I've always known that the life of extreme addicts would be kind of miserable but it's a lot more real when you could see all the steps they take within a day as well as be able to listen in to the conversations they have with their family. Not only that but it's also given me more of an understanding in how family plays a role in both the problem and the solution to addiction.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it all depends on how the show portrayed the addict that was being featured. It must have to have a positive and uplifting effect on the viewer to inspire them to change their life. If the show focused on how the addict was quite hopeless and how his addiction to drugs or alcohol ruined his life, then it either may become a deterrent or a downer to the addict, and it might make him feel that he is also is a hopeless case as far as overcoming his addiction is concerned.