An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Watching favorite childhood movies

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Feb 21, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

It often comes a time that I don't know what to do. I'm just in complete boredom. I don't want to get back to my addiction, but at the same time it feels like I don't want to go on with my life. I can't do anything. So I feel it. I watch movies, but I find the new movies to be too uninspiring, so I watched those that shaped my childhood, that inspired me as a childhood. And it brings back my passion and commitment to life.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  2. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

There is no shame in this and I have to agree. Especially with Disney movies and even some cartoon series. I feel there are not enough positive happenings in today's world, usually all you hear about are the bad things. Therefore, I find that watching these movies that once filled me with emotion helps to restore my passion and confidence again.
  3. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

i gotta agree with you :) i still watching some of my favorite cartoons when i was little. i still rofl whenever i watch Tom and Jerry :)
  4. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

I love watching movies. I usually grab some new DVDs from the store and watch a few, but then I go to the library and pick up a couple of old time favorites of mine. It is always a treat to go back in time and watch something from my childhood since it brings back memories of when I watched them for the first time, and also because I know that I won't be disappointed.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree, this is a very good way to get back to your roots. Often, as adults, we tend to forget moments in our past that helped shape who we are now, and it often causes us to treat ourselves and others in a way that we otherwise wouldn't because our attitudes have gotten so caught up in just mere survival, so it is good to every now and then visit our past as it gives us a greater perspective of where we are now.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, it is a better thing to do than to go back to a bad habit. :)
    I also think that there are lots of good classic movies that we can enjoy including those Disney movies.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree. Movies/television shows that you were fond of watching when you were just a child is a good way for you to get inspired as you were able to regain your confidence and dedication when you were just a kid. It could also bring back good old memories which will motivate you even more.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This is great. I'm actually going back 14 years ago and started watching my old smallville dvds. Season 1 through 10 in under a month. Watching the man of steel grow up and stand up for justice takes me back to the ideas and imagination of a just world.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Whether you are in a recovery or not, watching your childhood movies is an interesting thing to do. Flashback of how it feels like to be a child again who is too young and does not know anything bad in this world and doing only things like playing, watching cartoons, eating and other things that a child does. It is happy to bring back old memories of being a child and this can let us realize that life is full of hope like when we are young when we are dreaming to have a good future.
    medievalmama likes this.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I like re-reading the books I read as a child in the 80s. Things were great back then, all I ever had to worry about was doing my homework and getting home before my curfew. No job, no bills, no money worries - it does us good to revert back to these times occasionally.
  11. petersos

petersos Member

My uncle does not really have favourite movies from his childhood. If he does he has never really told me. However, he likes cartoons especially the old ones like the Flintstones , Scooby-Doo and the Jetsones. Whenever he watches them he just gets a kick out of it. Additionally, he just has a great cheery mood afterwords.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  12. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I love to watch movies and tv shows from my childhood. I know for me it just makes me think of when life was more simple.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think watching your favorite childhood movies is a good idea, because it also brings back good memories from your kiddie years, and it makes you kinda nostalgic and you long for the time when things were simpler again. I also feel good and reminisce when I watch the shows that used to watch when I was young on Youtube.
  14. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

This is a good way to inject passion and energy into your life and there's nothing wrong with it. I am not much of a modern day movie buff. Not many films can keep my attention and I don't watch television shows on right now at all. I watch a lot of media from the past as I find it more entertaining. The content may be somewhat simpler but I find the storylines and messages more impactful to where I feel rejuvenated to do things.
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Watching old childhood favorites are definitely a good way to get your mind off of things. It is also a way to go to a nostalgic happy place that helps you through your day. Some of my favorite TV shows and movies were Rugrats, The Sandlot and Big Fat Liar.
  16. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Anything that inspires you to live a positive life is most welcome and you should go for it. I feel like you're still in the danger zone and you've got one foot in the safe area and the other foot is still stuck in your past. I want to encourage you to be relentless in your pursuit of a healthier,drug free life. All the best.
  17. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

When I'm out-of-sorts I'll pop in Lady and the Tramp. When I was little (a million years ago, before home videos) I had the album soundtrack (all the dialogue included) that came with a book of pictures that I would follow along with. Like others mentioned, it brings back those comfort feelings from childhood, no worries, and the wonder of everything.

Unfortunately, not everyone had a happy childhood. What about creating a new childhood? Set time to indulge your inner child. Buy your favorite candy, get all snuggly, and find your new 'childhood' favorites.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

How nice! I do the same when I feel down or ill. I put on my favorite movies and just enjoy being a big kid. There are films that I like to watch again and again, such as some favorite fairy tales from Russia and Poland. I don't just love them because they have a special meaning to me, but also because they are visually stunning and don't have any excessive special effects. :) They make me feel calm and tranquil, and bring me back to my inner center.