An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Watching inspirational talks

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by FuZyOn, Nov 2, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Recently I've been kind of sick so I stayed in bed for a while, but I got bored really quickly. I wasn't able to read since my eyes were exhausted from my illness so I was only able to watch videos, movies, shows and so on. I was always fascinated by TEDx and the talks, but I never had the time to properly listen to them. I've learned a lot of new things these past couple of days, I recommend you watch them too. You can learn a thing or two or maybe even get inspired to do something for yourself.

Here are some interesting ones:

stariie likes this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you for sharing these. Inspirational speakers have a way of making you feel so empowered and good. I think it is a great idea to listen to them and grow from them. These guys are awesome!
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I love Ted talks. Not all of them are that great, and some I really don't agree with -- but so many of them taught me new perspectives, facts, made me laugh and made me cry. Really uplifting :)
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Another lover of Ted Talks here! I find that there's some brilliant ones out there, that really help me re-frame the way I think about things. I watched one recently about addiction, and another about expectation management and how it impacts our relationships with others. I really find I learn a lot from the videos - the speakers are very talented at delivering their content, too!
  5. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I don't recall listening to or watching any of these videos yet (which is surprising that I had not come across them because I really like inspirational talks, and I watch YouTube a lot) so I'm definitely going to check them out when I have the time to watch them. Thanks for sharing, seems interesting, but I'll have to see for myself:).
  6. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

This is a great idea, FuZyOn. One of the things I repeat over and over is the fact that, in recovery, we're all suddenly cursed (nah, blessed) with a massive surplus of free time. The question is, how do we spend this time? I mean, there's no greater resource we have as humans, but addicts blow through it, waste it like it's nothing. So once we're sober, we need to figure out what. to do. with our lives. I love TED talks. Always informative, whether or not you agree with the thesis. At least you're listening to a new perspective, rather than rehashing your own inner monologue over and over. I'm also a huge proponent of exercise, but to stick to your point (re: TED talks), I highly recommend Patricia Kuhl's discussion of the linguistic genius of babies. It is achingly beautiful, and life-affirming. Best to you. :) Here's the link:

https://www.ted.com/talks/patricia_kuhl_the_linguistic_genius_of_babies?language=en
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I have to admit that I'm not really a fan of these sort of things, although I know they do help a lot if others so it's a case of each to their own.

Maybe in a way I'm lucky in the fact that I can inspire myself to some degree by building a better life, and a better future for myself and I know what I need to do to get there.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried watching/listening to any Ted Talks video before, but yes, thank you so much for recommending those shows to us here. That would be very helpful. :)
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Those TEDx talks are excellent and always make a point of checking out a few. There are a lot of pointless and low-quality videos on YouTube but fortunately there's also stuff like these TEDx talks that counterbalance things. Many of the videos are indeed inspirational and I've found them very helpful.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thank you for sharing, watching inspirational talks can be quite uplifting, it's even more better to watch it if you're feeling down since it will inspire you. I will watch this video when I have the time.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I was just thinking about this as well. Watching videos and listening to them is so helpful for a lot of people. It gives insight, and takes your mind off of other things. Hope you feel better though! :)