An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Watching someone you admire fall apart.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Eleanor, May 12, 2016.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor Member

When we have a person we admire, don't we tend to see the as perfect or dauntless? I came to terms with that reality when I watched a very close person to me begin falling into substance abuse and hit rock bottom.

Out of the little things I can disclose for the respect of their privacy I can say that when I first got to know him, he was a journalism student aspiring to become a political analyst. At first glance you wouldn't even consider this person to be using any substance other than the occasional light recreational drugs like marijuana, as he was a very serious person dead set on his goal to do something to change the world, top of his class and extremely sharp with complex ideas. This is the kind of student that teachers would go to when they were in doubt themselves.

The above sounds like a recipe for success, doesn't it?
    Apparently the grass is always greener on the other side, because in the process I discovered that he had began substance abuse. It didn't happen overnight, and there wasn't some 'bad influence' to guide his hand, what had happened instead was a tragic combination of heavy family issues that extended to economic issues that threatened his ability to attend college. Scholarships weren't available because his family had recently fallen into bankruptcy from being quite well off, and none of us (his friends) were able to help out economicaly because we were all at the same ditch. He began to seek out his favourite teachers' advice or help to start off somewhere and at least make some baby steps with his portfolio, but his teachers left him hanging, either unable or unwilling to help him. The top of the cherry pie as that his internship boss didn't even pay him for his work, just gave him promises over more promises.

So somewhere along the line all this frustration began to play on (what we later found out to be when he sought psychiatric advice) a latent untreated bipolar disorder that bordered on mild schizophrenia. In his own view, as he disclosed to us, he didn't feel connected to the world or society at all and often contemplated suicide. At first he would take psychoactives to explore his own psyche, and it would actually work most of the time, but the aftermath on his body was very real.

His use eventually escallated to stimulants like adderal and occasionaly cocaine to counter the desicating feeling that the post-use "crash" would give him, and be able to write with "clarity". A combination that was very expensive on his limited budget, so he began to switch for more affordable alternatives like ketamine and that's when he fell of the face of the world.
    The last time we saw or heard from him was a few months ago and when we searched for him, we found out he had quit all his journalism projects and his intership.

So yeah, this was the story about a person I thought would become a journalism legend.
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I am surprised that everyone gave him a wide berth, even those who recognised his potential? To me it looks like a silent conspiracy. Even his dues were withheld. I tend to have this feeling that society is not appreciative of talent or potential and only comes to the rescue of a defeated person at the point of no return. Its during times like these that one gets to know his real friends. But come what may, I believe that a person is his own best friend or enemy.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Eleanor... I'm sorry to hear about the downfall of this person you care about. Addiction is a cruel disease, and it can rob people of everything that's important to them. Maybe someday he will be able to overcome his addiction and find his way back. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and you.
  4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

This is very devastating news about what's happening to this most loved person. I feel extremely desperate to long for his deliverance, a miraculous hand of freedom for his precious whole well being. Would you be able trace him where he is with the help of the police task force? Or with the help of a trustworthy media to find him and give him the financial support of a rehabilitation and assurance of a job in the future?

I've just recently heard a man's (in his 40s) testimony about his life of deep addiction and substance abuse for 10 years. But today, he is strong and full of thanks to God for saving him. I will be praying with you for his search of him and be given another chance with life.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That is really a sad story. Sadly, it is all too common too. Maybe not that exact story but things like it. It is just heart breaking all the good people and all the potential that has been wasted due to drugs and alcohol. It is just a bad thing for anyone..to use to excess.
  6. Fyrion

Fyrion Active Contributor

I'm really sorry for that downfall, happen even for the best of us. Anyone that I admired in life never has touched drugs as far as I know. But anyway, It doesn't justify it, but there is a plenty of events in his life that could have dragged him in the awful world of drug abuse. As you already wrote, s a tragic combination of heavy family issues that extended to economic issues that threatened his ability to attend college.

I don't think He is completely lost, but his path to recovery will start in the very moment He wish to look forward to it.