An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Watching The Wrong Movies or TV Shows

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Subtle though it might be, Movies and TV Shows influence people more than they'd like to admit. For a recovering addict, watching movies where people are partying, drinking, doing drugs and so on could end up making you start desiring to get back to using the drug once again since they make it to appear so cool [and so right] on the screen.

Avoid watching such movies and this might help you stay sober. Or better still replace movies with inspirational books for a while.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  2. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I agree with you, movies have the ability to influence us to a certain extent. That is why it is very important that we monitor what our kids watch on TV as they grow up. A number of people do not have a television in the house to prevent this kind of influence. A recovering addict is very venerable and could be lured back into the problem.
  3. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Movies can really influence someone to give in to certain addictions. Be it drugs, alcohol or some more screwed up ones. It's really important to distinguish the fiction from reality and I, for one, embrace the motivational books. They really helped me get out of the hole a few times and gave me the perspective I truly needed.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Even though I'm a huge believer of the strength of each person and their willpower, I'd say it is just better to be on the safe side. Also, probably just watching scenes like those is a bit of torture because It shows you a glamorized version of the life that was left behind and movies rarely show the bad side of it in pure form.
  5. alfonso87

alfonso87 Member

Your definitely right. One danger is for kids seeing people taking drugs and partying hard on TV or movies, it influences them to believe that it cool for them to do the same. For recovering substance abusers, it for sure dangerous because seeing people do drugs on TV or movies can trigger cravings, and for a lot of people, that's all it takes for them to relapse.
    ClassyTulip likes this.
  6. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

I do believe that some television shows can influence our physical behavior, as well as our spiritual health. It's a problem, at times, to realize that we all can be persuaded by something so overlooked other than the humanistic experience. We watch these television shows being so vulnerable and innocent to the fact that these shows were created to depict real life drama.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh for sure, it's definitely better to try and avoid certain movies and shows when you are trying to stay clean. Not just shows which depict drug taking but anything that is going to be sad or disturbing. Best to err on the side of caution.
  8. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

So true, children can be influenced by cartoons and other television shows. What makes us adults think that we're immune to those same influences? I think that we have to understand that in reality, we have to stay alert of all our surroundings that are very influential. Whether it's positive or negative, we are all prone to be molded by our environments.
  9. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I think that its about how movies or these shows depict the life of the guys who take drugs etc. These guys take drugs, drink, roam in the streets in their cars, bla bla. If you show something bad happening to them in the end as a result of their addiction, it might help as a tool for prevention too.

For example, if someone has watched wolf of the wall street, the protagonist is one hell of an addict. He can't live without drugs. But in the end, he loses his empire because of his addiction. Such endings instill a sense of fear and show reality to us.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I was just talking to a friend of mine about something like this the other day. Drugs are made to look so great in movies and TV that I'm sure a lot of kids (or just really impressionable people) must think that that's how being high always is. Lately, drugs have been portrayed as a coping mechanism, means to an end, or something the most likable characters partake in in most movies or TV shows. It's quite scary actually.
  11. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

You're right. Especially binge drinking and alcoholism -- a lot of "cool guys" are shown to drown their issue in scotch, whisky, beer, etc.

For drugs... well. I know many of my friends were traumatized by the movie Requiem for a Dream, who is quite tragic, really, in the fate drugs users come to face. Turned them off of even the idea of drugs. Worth a watch.
  12. Tournique

Certain movies can cause relapse and that is dangerous. I, for one, avoid certain movies in order to not have triggers.
  13. juno

juno Community Champion

I agree about avoiding shows that depict partying and use as fun and circumstances where users come out with no consequences. It would be better to watch positive and inspirational movies.
  14. Tournique

I think you really need to be able to distinguish reality from fiction. A movie will always seek to stir certain emotions in the viewer and trigger some feelings. If you can control that and understand that it's just entertainment, then movies wouldn't hurt anyone.
  15. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I totally agree. Watching a scene that you've left behind is like breaking up with a person because the relationship was a disaster, yet watching footage on your phone every night of the two of you together. Or seeing that person every single day after you have broken up with them and you want to leave that part of your life behind.
    How can a person leave something behind and yet see it everyday? Of course, there are some people that can handle that kind of thing, but most people don't want to be reminded of the gutter that they just crawled out of.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I kind of like watching movies that has drug and alcohol use. Not the occasional partiers. I like to see the heavy usage and watch people turn into train wrecks. Those are the movie that make you think twice about doing drugs. "was I that bad"?
  17. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Nostalgia strikes in me during certain songs that bring up certain memories. Same could be said about anything else including smells (I have an old perfume bottle that carries 15 years of history in my life compressed into smell) and such. Sometimes it is a beautiful thing and other times it is the loneliest feeling in the universe.

Its all perception.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You are right. One does get influenced by the contents they watch on TV or the internet to such a degree that one might reconsider one's bad old habits again. I have long stopped watching random films or documentaries. I am very selective about the films that I watch these days. I like movies that are positive, uplifting and inspiring. Drama and scenes of torture and suffering have no place in my life. It's everywhere, I don't need to look at it on a "recreational" level.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That is very true. Movies and TV shows glorifying drugs, alcohol, and other substances could really tempt you to go back to your past addictions. If you think you are still too weak to say no, then it is much better to just not watch those kinds of stuff at all.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also agree that there are movies and/or shows that can really influence us or affect us. It will be better to avoid those that can make you depressed or get back to your cravings on certain substances. Choose those inspirational movies that could help in making you feel better.