An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Water fast

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Mayoress, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I don't know if anyone has heard of the benefits of water fast. It is said to have lots of healing potentials apart from its other benefits.
    I was just thinking that it would be really interesting to know if it can be effective in reducing substance cravings.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have no idea about this. I don't think stressing your body by not eating is going to help you kick the urge to use. If your body is used to having a substance, I don't think going without food, and just using water is going to be useful in the least. It is just going to make your crave both the substance and food. You need to try to stay healthy.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's the first time that I've heard of this and frankly I really do not know anything about this practice. But in my humble opinion, I think that it's not the way to go if you want to reduce your cravings. I think it will do the exact opposite. Going on prolonged hours without food will just make you weak.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I have heard about this type of diet before but it's the first time that I heard that it can help with cravings, and I personally don't think it would, living a couple of days without food can be extremely stressful for a lot of people, and I think it would definitely be worse if you're going through recovery.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Water fast. Yes I've heard of this. I watched a girl talk about how she did this. I don't personally recommend this. A safer alternative that is similar would be Master Cleanse. Same kind of concept. The girl who was talking about the water fast did it for 30 days. There are plenty of religions that do this but, master cleanse seems more achievable. It is just lemon water and vegetable broth at least there is some flavor. I've done it for up to 7 days. If you are going to eat something cause the first couple of days you want to eat at night. You could have fruit like watermelon or something like this. It will help cleanse the body and you might be able to continue.
    Either way when you get ready to actually eat after. Everything tastes amazing. Your taste buds are recharged. Using it to detox drugs. Yes, it will work. Lemon or lime will cleanse your digestive, liver, and kidneys. I use it to recharge up my body when staying in shape. You will also loose food cravings. If you are trying to kick something like that. If neither of these sounds like you could do it. The lemon or lime water with raw foods will completely work to detoxify the body. It is a longer process but is more sustainable.
  6. DN02

DN02 Member

Wow, first time I'm hearing about this. I too feel that going without food would cause more harm that being useful, especially for those in recovery. Don't think that all that stress and anxiety that comes with starving would be helpful to someone already dealing with so much.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That was very much my thoughts too. I think being without some form of sustenance would just make me more reliant on a substance rather than less reliant. I think good nutrition is important!
  8. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I had heard of water therapy but not of water fasting. Water therapy is a technique in which people drink a lot of water, usually after waking up, to make sure that their system stays strong. You can also see an alternative form of this used by athletes who keep themselves hydrated at all times.

I think water fasting may not help. But, normal fasting might. Water is the cleaning agent of our body, whereas food really carries a lot of toxins that are hard to cleanse. If you eliminate water for a whole day, you will hurt yourself. Food fasting is something that people do all the time, across the world. It relaxes the digestive system and allows it to get rid of a lot of toxins.

However, a person with any form of ulceration in the digestive system should never fast.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know about the cravings but it can remove toxins. Drinking nothing but water has to purify your body after a while. It's true that you can go longer without food than water. Try to put lemon in your water to lower acidity. I know fasting can help weaken your flesh's desires, so it may stop some cravings do to discipline.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Eh, I'm not sure... detoxing is hard enough on its own, adding fasting to the mix in any kind of form can't be a very good idea :( I'd say that focusing on detoxing is good enough.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

We have such thing as "water fast" in church when we're praying for something specific to God, but I don't think it would really work for recovering addicts because they might somehow feel a little pressured, and that's not a good idea.
  12. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I would say that drinking water can be a very good way to flush out toxins. Especially when someone has a drug substance inside them. Water fasting can also be a very good idea, as it can help clear a drug addicts mind.
  13. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It's my first time to hear about "water fast" so I had to Google it out. Well, water is generally good for the body especially for hydration and flushing out of toxins but personally I don't think I would be able to do it. Not being able to eat even a single meal already makes me weak and gives me a terrible headache no matter how much water or liquid I consume so what more if I only consume water for a number of days? I might end up in the hospital. I also think it's not really the answer for substance cravings because it can even lead to more negative or adverse effects. One needs to consult his/her doctor first before trying it.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As most of the others on here up to now, I've not heard of this before either, but from what ice read since, it's not something that I'd recommend to be honest.

While it might work for some people, it does seem like an extreme way, and could even be dangerous if the wrong person was to give it a go without knowing what they are actually getting in to.
  15. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

About 4 months ago, I did a 28 day distilled water fast only. No food and no other drinks. The reasoning behind mine, was to literally detox my body of everything I had abused over the years. This was one of the most difficult things I have had to do in my life. But I had multiple health issues going on including a liver problem. The first week of this detox was the hardest. I was hungry, had the sweats, dizziness and just plain cranky. After about day 10, I was already feeling better. I had an amazing amount of energy even tho I had no food in my system. I started to see my skin glowing, I was able to breathe more clear and not use my asthma inhaler. I also seen a difference in my urination and how my kidney functions improved. I knew I was detoxing when I got a white thick coating on my tongue, as well as some extreme body odor. It was gross, but the benefits I received from doing the detox are amazing. It truly teaches you a new form of discipline.
    Mayoress and Coolkidhere like this.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's interesting I've never heard of that before. I think it'd be very hard dicipline so it could possibly help in thag aspect with getting over temptations.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Never heard of it before, but I'm always open-minded when it comes to cleansing techniques. I read about it online a little and the concept seems interesting, I don't know how effective it is though.
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Wow, thank you for such a detailed post! I didn't even think it was possible to survive without water for that long. Can I ask if a water fast should be done every other month or something? And after the water fast, are you restricted with any food or drink at all?

I don't think I can have that discipline right now though. I'm not brave enough to pursue a water fast yet. But I'm quite interested since the benefits you said were quite amazing. Sadly, I don't know of anyone personally who has successfully done a water fast. In fact, it's only through this forum that I read a success story about it.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Water fasting has actually been scientifically proven to be extremely beneficial in recent times but only when it's done properly. It shouldn't be done for extensive periods of time. Thirty days is definitely way too long. However, the human body is capable of surviving on nothing but water for longer than that. Malnutrition is no good though and consuming excess levels of water dilutes the salt in the bloodstream which can lead to hyponatremia.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think fasting is not healthy especially if you have current health issues. Better to consult an expert before trying this kind of fasting to make sure that it will be properly done or you can do it safely.