An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Water vs Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by DTracy3, Jan 8, 2015.

1. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

A nice little trick that can help you start smoking is the "Glass of Water Trick". Every time when you got that feeling where you want a smoke really bad, take a glass of water and drink it really fast. I know this sounds almost too simple, but it really helps quit a bit. Your addiction isn't cured by that of course, but the feeling of wanting a cigarette is much less present for some time. I hope this little trick will help some of you^^
  2. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Maybe it will be more credible if you give us the source to this claim? But it's worth a try. It is just water which is even a healthy option rather than chew on some 'gum' or 'candy' that others or ads say can curb one's smoking urge.

Thanks for your tip. No matter how simple and small it is, it can add up to the other alternatives one can try to stop smoking. I'll tell some of my friends whose husbands are chain smokers. One of them even had undergone a heart surgery because of his bad smoking habit. :(
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

This does seem a little too simple. I dont know if it would work for everybody. I think the concept is that the full feeling will make you not want to smoke. It would be great if there was any article on it with refering evidence. Thus far it seems like an idea someone came up with for themselves.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation! I drink a bottle of water every time I feel like binge-eating, and I must say that this method does work for me. I don't and have never smoked, so I cannot say wether or not this would help for beating addiction, but I'd say it's worth a try. Simple, and water is good for you, where as gum, candy, and coffee can be harmful.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'll recommend this to my smoking buddies. Don't know it if will work for them but this is the way I curve my eating habits. I drink a lot of water before, during, and after every meal.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think this is more of a placebo solution rather than a real one. I think this can work, but it's not something that an addict should rely on if he/she wants to quit all-together.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I hadn't heard this before. It seems like it could be a neat trick. I don't how effective drinking water could actually prove to be but it's worth giving it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't know about the water trick, but I definitely know about the lemon water fact, as it worked very well for me. When I gave up smoking I always reached for a small glass of water with a squeeze of fresh lemon whenever I felt the desire to light up. After a while all I would do is suck on a slice of lemon when the urge got strong. It immediately made my cravings dissipate in thin air... for another 2 hours. Over a period of 2 weeks my cravings lessened. It served me very well. I was able to give the cigarettes away for good.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would have to agree with drinking water, plenty of water as much as possible. It is a good cleansing method and refreshing to the body. I am not really sure about its relation with decreasing your craving for cigarettes though.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It might not be a cure-all but it sounds like it could make a good distraction technique, at least. Combined with other healthy coping strategies, it could help. At any rate it certainly won’t hurt.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

First time to read that drinking a glass of water fast could help make the craving for smoking lesser. That is simple to do and if that will really work for someone, that will be great. There will be mo harm in trying this simple trick for those who smoke.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think a lot of this strategy would have to do with the entire oral fixation side of smoking. I've had a lot of friends who have attempted to give up cigarettes, only to replace it with heavy snacking because they were trying to imitate or replicate having a cigarette.

I'll never say drinking more water is a bad thing though - and if it works for people, or even deters them from smoking for a little while and gets them to focus on something else, that has to be a good thing.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting trick. Probably this does help quite a bit. We of course need to drink water anyway. Most people that have had a smoking problem probably never drank enough water in the first place. Having a ton of water before you eat and making sure you actually eat enough would make a huge difference. Many seem to have thought cigarettes were a replacement for food as it suppresses the appetite. It does but it is no replacement for food.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have tried water therapy and it really works. Drink a glass of water when ever you feel
    cravings
    anxiety
    depression
    stress
    Try to drink water from green bottle. It crates soothing effects.
  15. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I find it really hard to believe that this is at all a viable solution to curbing cravings for a cigarette. H2O as a replacement for nicotine addiction? Not buying it.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thanks for the tip, I will relay what you posted to my other smoker friends to see if they will feel less interest in smoking.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016