An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ways To Overcome Low Self-Esteem

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Trying to cope with low self-esteem is one reason why a number of people use drugs. For a while the drugs make them forget their "unworthiness." There are other ways to be exorcise those negative thoughts.

Here are some ways to overcome low self-esteem:

- Learn to love yourself. If you don't and people notice the way you don't treat yourself well, they won't want to be around you.

- Don't criticize yourself for failures or mistakes you made. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone fails. Don't torture yourself with thoughts of what you could have done right. Leave the past in the past and focus instead on the present and how you'll avoid making similar mistakes in future.

- Don't compare yourself to others. It will make you miserable.

- Write down all you accomplishments and read them from time to time. They'll instantly make you feel good.

All the best!
    Coolkidhere, kassie1234 and kgord like this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Good tips and advice rainman! Yes, it is true we beat ourselves up continually for what we have done, and failed to do if we don't like where we are in life right now. I think it is really true that we have to love ourselves before we can begin to love others properly. It also helps to do positive affirmations everyday.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Really liked the tip about writing down your achievements - I think it's always a great idea when you're having a tough day to go over all the things that you have done well! Sometimes it's hard to reflect on them unless we have them written down!
    Rainman likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have struggled with self-pity before, but right now, I am trying to love myself more, and don't compare myself to other people. We are all different from one another, and we just have to learn to accept who we truly are.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, comparing yourself to other people will only make you lose your self-esteem, so don't do it. Instead, focus on the positive things that you have and empower yourself, since if you can't love yourself then no one will.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Self esteem can take years to build up but can be lost very quickly, and its true that a lot of people dependant on substances often do have low self esteem, but for different reasons.

For some they have already lost their confidence and use the drug in order to give them that lift that they need, but in others it's the drug itself that takes away their pride in themselves, often without them even realising it.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have struggled with low self esteem for a long time so this post has really touched me. I am my own worse critic. I am working on learning to love myself and to learn my true value. It is not an easy thing to do. I hope some day I can look in the mirror and be proud of that woman looking back at me, I want to be able to say that I love myself and really mean it.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

It is really hard to not compare ourselves with other people. We see a pretty girl or a handsome guy and we think why can't we be like them? Or maybe you see other people enjoying their lives without drugs and you think, why can't I do that?

The thing is, you're already there, you've abused drugs and got addicted. There's no point in thinking why it has to be you. But what you can do is try to outdo yourself. You have to think that there has to be a better life for you instead of just abusing drugs and wasting your life.

And there really is a life for you after an addiction. And once you have overcome it, you'd feel more confident day by day. Each day that you are sober and clean is like a trophy in your hands. So don't let that trophy be snatched from you!
    Rainman likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of the problem is the fact that we do try to compare ourselves with others, instead of just accepting who we are.

Just because a person might have more material things than you have, that doesn't necessarily make them any better.
  10. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I feel people hide behind drugs and alcohol because they care about what people say and think about them. I used to be very particular about what was said about me in the past but with time I kept telling myself no one is better than me. I would advice we all raise our heads high, dump all forms of alcohol and drugs; pick up a hobby and career and climb higher.