An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

We can't direct the wind but we can adjust our sails!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Sep 22, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

[​IMG]

This quote is an absolute favorite of mine. Sometimes there are things that happen in our lives that we simply can't control - that is just part and parcel of life. What we can control is our reaction to things. Sometimes it is hard to control our reactions of course...we are human, and we have emotions and triggers that can be tough. But working on our reactions (or our sail adjustments, in this analogy!) can be a huge way of managing how we cope and avoiding that reliance on drugs or alcohol.

Always remember that despite what life throws at you, there are ways and means of altering your course and adjusting those sails!
    Rainman, deanokat and FuZyOn like this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Beautiful post, thank you for your inspiring words! I've been feeling a little bit down lately, things are starting to slip out of my control and I'm at a loss. This post reminded me that I'm responsible for how I react to bad situations, I need to get up and start fighting again! :D
    kassie1234 likes this.
  3. kassie1234

I have those moments too (I am sure we all do!) and I love this quote as a reminder. Of course, sometimes it's easier said than done to fight back but I always try to keep a positive mindset as much as I can and remember that I can make steps to change my situation -- even if they are tiny, baby steps!
  4. harold

harold Community Champion

Great inspiration there! Thank you for taking the time to share this inspiration. Events in life does not always present the results you anticipate and hope for. There are moments when trials and temptations come--and they always come -- but you have to be strong. There is always a way of altering your course. You do not have to give up, or give in to substances as a way of facing these problems. Never allow trials and temptations to suppress you to the extent where you have to resort to substance abuse. As you have rightly said, there is always a way for you out there. I usually place my own hope in God when the situation looks too much for me. I pray and trust in God. I thank God because he has always been faithful in my life and has helped me to overcome so many situations. Thanks for the inspiration. That was a great one there.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I couldn't agree more. We cannot please everybody. Nothing is set in stone. Sometimes we're up, sometimes we're down. More often than not, there are more questions than there are answers. So when things do not go our way, the best option available is to change the way we think. When we learn how to adjust our sails, we also learn how to cope up with just about any weather.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I needed this reminder. Thank you. And I’d add that “this too shall pass” - bad situations are temporary, even when they feel like they might stick around. They never do. (My problem is that I’m more apt to remember good situations are temporary… hahaha. I’ve gotten better about enjoying the good times while they’re around, though.)
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I absolutely love this quote as well. It somehow teaches us to be versatile and resilient. Though things in our life may seem pretty difficult to get through, and there would also be times that we see ourselves failing miserably, don't ever give up the fight. Challenges are simply part of life.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think sometimes we have to sit back and just go with the flow. Life can throw alsorts at us and if we worried about everything then we'd never be able to get out of bed in the morning.

That's not to say we shouldn't fight or try if something I'd getting us down, it's more about fighting for the things we can change, sometimes there are circumstances that just happen no matter what we do. Worrying our self sick won't change anything.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am a huge quotes person and this one is among my favorites. It is something we need to remind ourselves when you are going through rough patches in life. It happens all the time and we can give up or we can keep moving on. Things do get better we just have to never give up.
  10. kassie1234

Your post reminds me of a quote my grandma used to always say!

[​IMG]
    pwarbi likes this.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's so true. I believe that we came to this world with specific lessons to learn and that's why some troubles and hardships are just pre-destined and we can't avoid them. So since they are inevitable, we have no choice but to deal with it, and that's where free will comes to play. We can choose to react to it positively or negatively.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Another great way to remind yourself that things aren't as bad as you might think they are is to look at what others are enduring. Think of the sufferings of others all over the world and your problems will pale in comparison . . .

Not the best strategy but knowing that you are luckier than most people should make you grateful enough to face anything life flings your way with confidence. Sometimes people need a good reason to change their attitudes and this could be it.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Looking at other peoples situations can help a lot and I think it often puts things into perspective and you realise your better off than you think.

I know that everyone as different lives and with that different problems to face, and you can't always directly compare your troubles with theirs, but just knowing your not on your own and everyone as provlems to deal with helps you to face yours.
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'd never heard that saying before buyt it certainly makes sense. It reminds me that there are often times where all we can really do is adapt.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  15. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

"What we can control is our reaction to things." That is taken from the thread post. I like the quote, its certainly one that I need to keep in mind, the only thing I don't one hundred percent like though is the choice of the word "react." Whenever I hear the word react I think of a knee jerk, automatic, without thought or reason, type of action. Now don't get me wrong, try as I might, right now I can't think of a better word to replace it, so I would likely say exactly what the thread author did, however, I think if we could go back a little and find a word to replace react, we would have an even better chance of behaving in a more controlled manner when upsetting things happen to us, rather than reacting to them. Because, lets face it, a reaction is usually something that is not thought out or even very rational a lot of the times. Maybe it would be better to say "What we can control is our behavior regarding things that have happened." Or "What we can control is our emotions" or simply "our actions" rather than "reactions." Just a thought. No one need change how they finish that sentence as long as its working for them. I just think that for myself, I would prefer to" live with my action" rather than "control" my reaction.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  16. kassie1234

Hi there! Thanks for the feedback. Definitely get what you mean about the word react - it's hard to more appropriate term but I think you get where I am coming from with the direction of my post :)

I liked what you said about the idea of living with something rather than controlling the way you react - I guess because if you're controlling something it does sound perhaps like all a person is doing is perhaps suppressing anger or frustration or disappointment or what have you. It's made me think about my wording in a different light!
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You can command the wind. Why not? Adjust the sails. Yeah we all need to figure this out. Drugs and alcohol direct and dictate ones life when they abuse it.
    You may not be able to direct the wind but you can anticipate it, feel it and embrace it.
    Set the sails, feel the wind, and ride the waves.