An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weak people

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by bebulinka, Apr 4, 2015.

1. bebulinka

bebulinka Member

In my opinion people wich take drugs and alcohol are weak...and the problem is more deep than it looks.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

People who resort to drugs and alcohol obviously are going through some difficulties in their lives, it's not really because they are weak, in some way, it's just their way of coping mechanism. Surely, the problem is deep, but once they start to realize that they are better off clean and sober, that life is too short to waste on some unnecessary things, I think they'll be able to survive substance abuse.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You may be right, but let's try to understand what makes them take drugs in the first place. If it's because they're depressed about a problem, then let's not judge them too harshly. If they only want to look cool, then that's a pretty wrong and lame choice for turning to drugs.
  4. bebulinka

bebulinka Member

I did not mean that i do not understand them....surely everyone has a bad habbit...some of them reflect more strong than others. The big problem is that i know people that no matter how you explain them that it is wrong or try to help them differently it is usseles...eather they help themselves or nobody can. It is very sad subject. Sorry for that bad english...it is because i am not english :)
  5. Sydney R

Sydney R Member

I understand where you're coming from. People who turn to substances to escape their problems may seem weak; however, they may not know any other way to escape their problems. It's an outlet for their feelings and all their problems.
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

While I agree with what you are saying, that is not necessarily what someone who is struggling with an addiction needs to hear haha. People need uplifting rather than the blunt truth, because anyone who realizes that they are addicted to drugs realizes that they are not strong, which is why they have a constant reliance on substances in the first place.
    True concern likes this.
  7. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I don't think of people who turn to substances as being weak. I think they use it as an outlet. It doesn't make them weak for doing so. They just don't know how to cope with the emotions inside.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think some of them are weak and some of them aren't, just like every other type of person. I don't think people who take substances once in a while are weak, but maybe those that get addicted are a little weak, even if it's more likely not their fault and they probably just turned out that way since the people raising them weren't smart enough to give them better tools for coping.
  9. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I pretty much think you are not in the position to say that sir. With all due respect you can't judge them for making mistakes in their life. There really comes a point in our lives where we get confused and make brash decisions. But that doesn't mean life is over and most definitely it doesn't make you less of a person. No matter how many times life breaks you. You should always stand back up and prove to yourself that you can still do many things with your life.
    True concern and pineywood like this.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Not necessarily. A majority of people indulge in drugs out of the need for excitement and sheer fun. As a matter of fact,most of them are well off and exude power and authority.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I agree that the problem always is deeper but that doesn't necessarily make someone weak. A number of drug addicts don't take drugs because they want to escape reality. They use drugs because they get a "thrill" from them but this leads to dependence. Once you get there, turning around can be very hard. It doesn't matter how strong-willed you are. That's why addiction always is very hard to overcome.

Weak or strong, anyone, as long as they are not careful, can be enslaved by an addictions.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

To be honest, the last thing anyone with substance abuse problems needs is to be told that they are a weak person. We simply haven't a clue about what has happened in other people's lives and I strongly believe that many people turn to drink and drugs because they are trying to blot something out.
  13. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Who are you to call people weak though? Who gives the right to judge others, even if we do inside our own heads or verbally? Nobody gives you the right, we just take it. And it's wrong to assume.

I know some people who just use recreation-ally and they've had no hardship in life and they know when to quit and when to have fun. That's really where the line shouldn't be crossed - do too much, it ends in addiction. But addiction does not make you weak unless you let it.
    True concern likes this.
  14. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

This statement is a generalization based on ignorance, sorry. First, people who "use" drugs and alcohol may very well be using them properly. Remember that Jesus drank and enjoyed wine. Was he weak. St Paul recommended drinking a little wine for good health. And many scholars consider some scripture to indicate that Jesus probably at least occasionally ate hashish candy. And Moses may well have used psychotropic mushrooms.

Perhaps you mean people who abuse drugs or alcohol. They may have a weakness in this area, but that doesn't mean that they are weak.
    Nick W. likes this.
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Now your argument is invalid as we could misinterpret weak as in these drug users don't have enough muscle or power or weak as in they are not smart or have no awareness for their health. People usually use them to ease their pains emotionally or for some, for fun feeling high. It all depends but most people that I have known actually uses drugs because they are secretly depressed and depend of something that helps ease their pain.
  16. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I wouldn't call them weak. Sure they are more susceptible, but we can't ignore other important factors like their environment where they grew up, their family, their friends. A lot has to be studied and analysed before someone can be labelled as weak.
    Shimus likes this.
  17. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Everybody's fair game when it comes to drug abuse. Even 'strong' people who at first glance have the mental fortitude and moral fiber to resist drugs can fall prey to them. It only takes one incident, or lapse of judgement to hook you into these things.
    Zyni likes this.
  18. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Different drugs have different addictive natures, and so do different people. A sizable percent of the population are physically incapable of being addicted to opiates, while others are very easily addicted. Others fall somewhere between. I don't know if there has ever been a test for this trait developed, but it would be useful to know when a physician is considering prescribing opiates. I worry a bit being on tramadol at the moment, and I know that it is possible that the injury I have may require being on it for the rest of my life. I can control the pain with naproxen, but that has its dangers as it is a bit harsh on the stomach lining.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will be hard to generalized but maybe it is true to some.
    There could be various reasons why someone will become addicted. Those could be problems, peer pressure or just out of curiosity.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree with this statement. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone has weak moments. Being sober does not mean you are automatically not a weak person, especially if you are manifesting false solutions elsewhere without knowing it.
    Zyni likes this.