An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weak people

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by bebulinka, Apr 4, 2015.

1. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I would also add that alcoholics and junkies are not only weak but selfish as well. Most of the time, they don't care how their bad habits influence the people around them. And I'm not referring to people in general but to family and friends who are just left helplessly observing how their beloved one is throwing his/her life to waste. We have got to be altruistic and think how our behavior affects the ones around us. That is not to suggest that these people don't need our help - they do more than anything - but they have got to meet us half way in order to achieve progress.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is true that people who use drugs are weak. Most end up using drugs because of stress but they again forget to maintain their physical fitness. It is difficult to go to the gym while drank. You can not go jogging after taking drugs. Most addicts spend their time mm drugs and do not even take enough food.
  3. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

You're right about one thing... They have to help themselves. Cleaning up is a choice they hav to make themselves. No one can make them want to. But what I think you forgot to mention is that no matte how weak they were, cleaning up takes more strength than most people even knew was possible. It's the hardest thing I ever did. Not just because of the extreme physical discomfort, but the psychological as well. When you get hungry, and I mean REALLY hungry, and you're surrounded by food are you going to take the time to add up calories and think about cholesterol before you eat? Probably not. Wanting that drug is the same thing... only more severe.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

This entirely. What happens if the home they grew up in was broken? Abusive father/drunkard? Mother never home? No friends, family to keep them out of trouble, they will always find a way to keep themselves 'entertained' so who's to say it's weakness and not just apathy and not dealing with your own feelings as well.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't agree with you 100%. Some of the addicts out there have started their addiction by making a mistake.
    Sometimes curiosity takes the better out of ourselves and we later find that we crave a specific substance. That's how an addiction starts.
  6. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that the entire statement is a very immature and basic way of thinking. How are you defining weak? I think that substance abuse in general is a lot more complex than "strong" vs "weak" and it's almost impossible to make a broad generalization out of users, due to the fact that users and abusers come in all shapes and sizes. It really depends on each person. IMO.
    pineywood, Zyni and kana_marie like this.
  7. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

This is actually pretty close to a friendly disagreement I had with a friend recently. People who haven't been there assumes that it can only happen to certain people, never them. Everybody's circumstances are different. No 2 people will go through the same thing. You can never know why someone else did it, or what made them so susceptible. You have to look at everybody as individuals.
  8. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

The truth is, using may have been a bad choice. Abusing is certainly a bad choice. However, I think there is an incredible amount of strength needed to be a functioning addict, at least for a little while. What it takes to keep going, the hide things from those in your life, and then also to come clean and really WANT to get help. Those things take a strong person. A weak person isn't going to beat addiction. I think maybe it's smarter to say that the choices were weak, or the situation weakened a person, not that they themselves were weak, because it's just not that black and white.
    kana_marie likes this.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't think it's the actual people who are weak. If they have been addicted to a substance in the past, then that is a weakness because of the possibility of relapsing. However, when such addictions first begin to develop, a lot of people don't even notice it's happening. Drinkers, for example, may gradually find themselves beginning to consume more during stressful times in their lives not even realizing that they're slowly becoming dependent on it until it's too late.
  10. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Well some people just like trying new things and drugs are really tempting. That's how it started for me.
    And addiction can be physical and your body might depend on these drugs which makes it harder to stop. Coming out and going for therapy might sound easy for you but society really looks down upon that.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Bebulinka, I think you got this one wrong. I believe that we all have moments of weakness but that does not make us weak people. In fact it calls for real strength particularly in the recovery process.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  12. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I believe that weakness has very little to do with it, some people have simply been strong for too long, r they need something to help them be strong. It is not about being weak.
  13. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I don't agree that these people are weak. Some of the toughest people have been drug addicts. What would you say about people that are obese? These people also have an addiction that is killing them. In most instances they are trying to avoid pain and find comfort in their addiction. If we all take a good hard look at ourselves, we will soon see that we too have habits that are detrimental. If we are honest, we will see that none of us are as perfect or tough as we may think we are. We are all vulnerable in some area of our lives.
  14. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

It's not that the people are weak, it's that drugs are strong. Calling people "weak" just shows you don't understand anything about addiction.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I think merely labeling them as weak puts the statement at risk of not being considerate of the background of the person. It's easy for someone who has had better opportunities in life call others weak but it takes someone intelligent to realize that everyone is different.
  16. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Have you ever heard the saying, "There, but for the grace of God, go I?"

It can happen to anyone, more easily than you think. So, rather than judging others, maybe try to be thankful you haven't struggled with this issue.

Anyone can fall. Everyone makes mistakes and bad choices sometimes. Everyone, including you.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  17. Sami

Sami Member

I don't think that's fair. Just because you are sober doesn't mean that you are stronger than anyone else. There are SO many different factors that can contribute to addiction, and none of them mean that someone is weak.
  18. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I guess the majority of us don't agree that drug and alcohol users and abusers (including other substance users) are weak. It's true that sometimes people tend to rely on substances to temporarily forget whatever it is that they're going through but it doesn't make them the frail ones. I don't encourage substance use and I'm surely not putting the users in a pedestal but I actually pity most of them. Why? Because they just don't have anyone to vent out their problems to. That's why they do it, they use because it's their only choice during their lowest point. All they really need is 'someone', just one person who can show them that 'someone really cares' for them. Sometimes a little understanding is what they need, and that is what we should definitely have.
  19. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

While I appreciate your sentiments and can relate to how frustrating it is to "deal with" a junkie (kind of harsh term to use) or an alcoholic (might, as well as, used the word, drunk). I will be honest. In my weakest moments or breaking points, I have resorted to these negative connotations of thinking my loved one is both weak and selfish. Heck, I would even throw in the adjective lazy. Then I get off my high horse and find my compassion.

But here is the thing, you and the OP can feel however you want. I am not walking in either of your shoes, nor you in mine. We can agree to disagree, or disagree to agree. It does not even matter. What matters is that we can get on this forum and express ourselves in a safe, caring environment. I mean really, I might get on here tomorrow and scream to the world that my loved one has let me done, once again and they are the weakest, most selfish person in the entire world! Gosh, I feel terrible even writing that! I pray, I do not find myself having to do this!
    Winterybella and imperivm1 like this.
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Now that I look back at things, I really might have been a tad too harsh with the choice of words. You're right, I shouldn't have used nouns such as "junkie" and "alcoholic"; I guess I was just trying to sift out the ones who are stubborn and difficult to deal with. Either way, I probably could have done better in getting my point across. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I mean no harm. Thanks, @pineywood for pointing it out; we should stick to one another instead of getting at each other's throats. Aggressiveness is not the answer.
    Winterybella and pineywood like this.