An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weak people

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by bebulinka, Apr 4, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Right! No offense taken. That is what is so nice about this forum. We can get on here and know on our good days and not so good days, people have our back. ;)
    Winterybella and imperivm1 like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I really hope that people who are currently trying to overcome the use of drugs and alcohol and are using this forum for help and advice don't feel that is an attack against their character. I would beg to differ and say a lot of the people I know that have used drugs or alcohol are some of the strongest people I know. Why do I say that? Because some of the people I know that have used drugs or alcohol to deal with things in their lives have been through some seriously hard stuff. Incredibly hard. Awful things. So are they weak? No. Are they human? Yes.
    Zyni and imperivm1 like this.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I feel like people do not take this into consideration whenever they talk about drug addicts and the homeless. They are people too. They could be people that are extremely similar to yourself, and you would never know that because you are judging them simply because of their failures. We, as humans, are not our failures.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

People who take drugs are going through something. Even if society deems them "weak" for easily falling prey to the lure of substance abuse, I don't think we have the right to judge them. We all commit mistakes and taking drugs happens to be their way of coping up. Let's just help those who've gone astray.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. Everyone is raised differently and some people just weren't raised with a good enough education on how to better deal with sadness or misery, unfortunately. To judge them would be to say that you wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing if you were in their shoes which would be impossible since by default it's impossible to completely feel another person's exact situation.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It could be that, they don't have alot of positive things in their life and also they need this to help them to cope, and could be environment as well which they are exposed too. Some place have easy access of drugs, and also may think everyone else is doing it I should too and it is normal. Sometimes a person can have a feeling of sadness or mixed emotions and they decide to do this to cope in their everyday life and can be hard to fight it.
  7. ocurtis25

ocurtis25 Member

I was very weak minded when it came down to drugs. I did
    not care about anyone or even give care how they felt. I had
    to learn to get my life on the right path through counselors.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I wouldn't really rush and call them names, such as "weak", but they only need to find themselves a better cure than going in this heinous drug world. They don't go in there out of pleasure, they think it's a necessity to cope with their daily routine problems. This is what I thought when I used to take, too, but I was wrong, and from there on, I try to help people go on their way.
    So, no, I don't consider them weak. I'd call them "uninformed".
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah that's sounds about right. People have weaknesses. Some have worse ones than others. The one of not trusting yourself might be the worst one of all. Needing other people's approvals. Seeking other people's advice with what to say or do because you don't trust your own opinion or yourself. Like the Shakespeare story of Cyrano de Bergerac. I think I've had the story wrong in my mind all this time, but it still applies. A man asks his friend Cyrano who has a big nose to write love letters for him so this woman would want him. She falls for the letters but the man she marries is not the one that wrote the letters. This is a huge weakness to not trust yourself. I mean whoever or whatever you are if you don't trust yourself. What is the point of life? If you can't trust yourself. How will ever trust another?
    Weakness is not bad, it just is. Isn't it that you need to make your weakness a strength. The more modern story would be the handsome, romantic, polite one that doesn't trust himself. He asks his "so called" friend with the big belly for help with the woman he loves. The woman knows he is doing this because he is no longer being himself. He tells him to treat her poorly. Taking bad advice instead of being who he really is. She is waiting for him to go back to the way he was before. The so called friend has made him think this is the only way to get her to really fall for him. The modern tragedy. Hopefully he comes to his senses and goes back to trusting himself. Being who he really is.
    Weakness for drugs or love. You don't have to be into drugs to have weakness.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I just think it's easier to judge when you're on the outside looking in. Obviously, it's a very frustrating position to be in, seeing someone that you care about, essentially throwing their life away. People seem to be of the "just stop it!" mentality though, and if it were that easy, everyone would just stop it. Fighting addiction is extremely difficult. Try to be compassionate and understand that it isn't as simple as you'd like to think.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That's really a vague statement. A person who uses drugs isn't necessarily weak. There are different reasons people use drugs. There are people who can quit the use of drugs with will power. Just because someone uses them now doesn't mean they can't stop or are weak.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There's a lot of different reasons why people turn to drugs, and in a lot of cases the per people are far from weak. In fact the reason they find that they'll turn to drugs is because they have HAD to be strong for so long
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I don't think that using drugs makes you mentally weak, they are just trying to forget about their problems as a lot of us want to. And I think that not a lot of people is stronger than people in recovery, you need to be really brave to have to deal with all that situations that they are facing everyday.
  14. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

You sound a bit judgmental but I will not hold it against you cause the point that you made was kind of ambiguous anyway. I must however say that all of us are weak in one way or another. We all have something that we struggle with and we try to perfect to no avail.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Most people turn to drugs or alcohol to seek relief from problems in their lives. However, there are people who try drugs because their peers get into them into it or they are interested in experimenting with drugs. I am not sure that such people are 'weak,' but maybe they are naive or ignorant about the consequences of using drugs or alcohol.
  16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I don't think that turning to drugs and addiction equals you are weak automatically. I think what this means is that this person needs help and doesn't know an alternative on how to handle a situation in life. Everyone goes through problems and just because you're experiencing a rough patch doesn't mean your weak. Sometimes it can take years to get out of a problem and even then you might not come out as the same person. Some people don't even know they have a problem either because no one told then or the person was not yet diagnosed. Overcoming anything takes traits like courage. You are not born courageous, you have to learn it and it is a process.
  17. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Humanness is weakness. It's a trait in us all. Even you yourself are weak. To be strong simply means that you are weak but you don't allow your weakness to keep you week for long.
  18. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Yes we have to try to be understanding. It is in being understanding that we offer help. If we focus on the bad in people they will remain weak.
  19. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

The thing is that people who go into drugs are people who are facing certain challenges in life and resort to drugs for some sort of escape. The fact is that it can really happen to anyone, and I don't think that makes them weak.
  20. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

To simply call a user "weak" can be perceived as insulting and also prevents deeper thinking about the reasons for addiction. There's tons of complexity including genetics, struggles of everyday life, and upbringing.