An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weaning myself off heroin

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by 15yrs&NoOneKnows, Jan 22, 2018.

1. I've heard people say that it's impossible to wean yourself off a narcotic. I'm not going to bore everyone with a long introduction. Here's the cliff notes version. I'm 61 years old. 15 years ago I had knee surgery that led to my addiction to pain killers. I managed my addiction for 11 years. Four years ago I was looking to purchase some pills and I was introduced to a finely powdered substance. The individual assured me it was crushed pills, painkillers. Six months later I discovered it was heroin. Call me naive or whatever you like but it's a fact. Later I found out that she had an ongoing agreement with the dealer. That anyone she could cause to become a user she received a kick back. I always vowed I would never touch nor come close to heroin and wouldn't have had I not been lied to. 4 1/2 years later here I am now a 15 year addict. I snort it and never have shot up. My common usage was to snort a gram a day. Two months ago I made a concious decision that I was going to quit. I decided that I would begin to wean myself off the product. I'm down from a gram a day to one point A-day, yes thats correct ONE POINT. My question is will withdraw be absolutely horrible at this level or should I continue to cut back. No one and I mean no one knows that Im an addict. If I expose it Im 100% guaranteed to lose my wife. A chance Im not willing to take. I'm not able to check in to a rehab nor can I afford to be curled up in knots weeks on end with tbe WDs. I have to be able to function. I've gone cold turkey 2 times when using the heavy doses and it was unbearable. Being that Im down to one point a day will the WDs be as bad. Someone with experience in true reduction and weaning from the product talk to me. And please dont give me this crap it cant be done because I'm doing it.....
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    touchofgrey92 likes this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@15yrs&NoOneKnows hello there. thanks for reaching out. that's great you've weaned yourself down so much! i don't have the answers as far as withdrawals... i won't speculate. perhaps you could make a phone call to a doctor who specializes in addiction?

i do believe in YOU... and i'm proud of you for doing this. sounds like you are ready to make the final break. yay!

please let us know if you find an answer, as others may wonder too.

sending blessings your way.
  3. touchofgrey92

touchofgrey92 Member

I have a friend that has been "weaning" for what seems like years now. Everytime I see him he explains to me that he is weaning himself off, then he passes out. Its sad. I have never seen it work, but I am glad it is for you. Your tough, keep it going friend.
    Dominica likes this.
  4. robynx125

robynx125 Member

My girlfriend has tried to wean herself off of heroin (she also snorted it) on several occasions and at one point, she was successful without recovery, however, she did experience some withdrawal symptoms (not as severe as they could be) but they were bad enough to the point where she turned to her prescription of xanax to help calm her nerves, which escalated into another prescription medication addiction, which cycled itself back to heroin. Most recently she found a clinic and was able to take suboxone to replace the heroin and was slowly weened off of that by being monitored weekly. This is something you can do without anyone knowing and without having to seek treatment, if you feel as though that is just not an option for you. There are some residual withdrawal affects of weening off suboxone as well, but I believe they will be more tolerable in the long run. I hope this helps you out and I commend you for acknowledging the fact that you need to get off of using heroin. Some people don't even get to that point. Good luck!
  5. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@robynx125 hey there! glad to hear your gf got off heroin... that's great! some people do find help via a clinic offering suboxone or some other type of medication... long term recovery may include counseling or some sort of support group too.

thanks for sharing!