An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weaning Yourself off Cocaine...with Cocaine

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Scooby Snack, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I ran into an old friend of mine a few years ago, and he told me a harrowing tale of how he rid himself of a coke addiction (actually I believe it was crack, but this seemed the appropriate forum to post this story).

He's a jazz musician and fell on some hard times, and he told me that he'd become an addict. Then one morning he looked at himself in the mirror, saw how he'd deteriorated, and began to cry. He said that was when he decided he needed to change. But rather than go cold turkey, he said he actually gave in to his cravings, and gradually reduced his intake over time. It has to be said that he said he found a book on breathing, and also re-doubled his focus on his craft as well, so that may have had something to do with it.

Has anyone else heard of someone actually TAKING the drug they're trying to quit, in order to kick the habit? Granted, my buddy is a very willful person, but I was curious if anyone else had heard of similar stories.
    DRHOLISTIC and Elendil like this.
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I find this one quite odd for someone to do, but it definitely happens frequently. Unrelated to your story, I also believed that gradually quitting smoking (removing one cigarette per day until I reach 0) was the way to go, but it actually didn't help me much and had to go cold turkey in order to manage it.

Regardless of how you actually quit taking whatever you're taking, it's good that you eventually do it. It's never too late!
  3. Scooby Snack

I realize the story sounds outrageous, but he swears that that's what he did, I had no reason to disbelieve him.
  4. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Wow that is really something else. I have heard of people weaning off drugs, especially alcohol, opiates and benzos but stimulants like that. It sounds almost impossible to me because using cocaine gives you strong cravings, more so than abstaining. I wouldn't recommend this approach, there is no physical withdrawal symptoms for cocaine the way the other drugs I mentioned above have. Sometimes those drugs require a person to reduce their dose to safely quit, but this is not the case with coke.
  5. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I don't know anyone personally who has gotten off cocaine, but there are certainly support groups all across the world with success stories and I know that your friend can get through this, especially considering his motivation. I hope he does well!
  6. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Scooby I have had friend that this worked for.
    I have also had friends that this was just a facade, and excuse to get people to stop telling them to quit drugs.
    Sometimes people would fool themselves, and the dosages would never actually go down.
  7. Scooby Snack

No, he's already beaten his addiction, is the point! I was just amazed at his method of doing it.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that it is strange that someone would try to end their addiction this way as taking it usually makes the person want more and have different moods in the mind which can be hard for some people to understand and it is an unusual way to end an addiction, and would be interesting to learn how this affects the brain and the body which can become addicted very easily. It is possible to use cocaine and also try and get off by can take a lot of support and hope people make changes in their life as this addiction can be a tough one and many people struggle to come out of this addiction which can destroy people and their lives. Famous actors even have had a hard time to overcome this and when fans and other people hear about their story they are motivated to make changes which can help them to move on in their life.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard of people slowly weening off versus going cold turkey. Though using the very drug to quit your addiction? If your friend has quit for good then good for him. This isn't something that would work for some people though.
  10. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

It's a very possible way of ridding yourself of your addiction. Lessening the dose of the drug over a period of time has a solid medical basis, and causes lesser withdrawal symptoms than going 'cold turkey' so to speak. They do it all the time with other drugs like steroids and morphine. But more often than not this, when unsupervised, doesn't work, because the person gives in to his/her cravings and goes backwards rather than forwards. And I've never heard of it being done to get rid of a cocaine addiction. But if it's actually true (the method part), then your friend is one hell of a strong-willed person, and worthy of a lot of respect.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Weaning yourself off of anything is better than quitting cold turkey. Still I don't know if this works for cocaine. If it worked for your friend it could be possible, but not without will power and coping methods. I really can't say whether this is true or not, but could be possible.
  12. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

Wow.. Big step. I think your friend is very willful indeed. All the while he was giving in to his cravings, his sole purpose was getting out of it. It must have been so hard for him, yet he walked through it, and it worked for him. But I must say, it wouldn't work that way for most addicts.
  13. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Going cold turkey with such serious substances...whether it was crack..or cocaine..these are no easy feats. How will an addicted person get off of this type of drug alone? This is impossible to say the least. I 'm sure it has been heard of in very few cases...but I can't see this without the proper support systems in place.
  14. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I think we are all different individuals. And we all have some major differences in how we handle things and situations we find ourselves in. If he swears that that was what he did, I believe it is possible. But, not for everyone. Infact I believe that 90% of drug addicts won't be successful with this method. We are all trying to search for methods that would work for us.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, I have a kind of similar story. Many years ago, I was also addicted to crack cocaine for a very short period of time. The cravings and withdrawal symptoms were horrendous. However, it wasn't the actual high from the drug that I was addicted to it, it was just that the drug induced intense long-lasting cravings which never seemed to go away. I managed to break that addiction by using cocaine which hadn't been washed back properly, thereby satisfying the craving whilst not providing any kind of high. After that, the cravings completely dissipated. Never been anywhere near the stuff ever since.
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've seen that same situation in a TV series. This woman's kid was on drugs and she's trying to help her son break the habit. Since going cold turkey is dangerous for someone addicted to hard drugs, what she did was to try to wean him off of whatever he is addicted to (I forgot what it is. Sorry.). She's the one administering the drug to her son so that the dosage will be controlled.

I'm just really surprised that your friend has such control over his cravings. Most people won't be able to do it. I'm glad that he's clean now. Perseverance and self-control really goes a long, long way for a person who is trying very hard to change.
  17. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I have never heard of this being done with cocaine, but I have heard of it done with prescription pills and nicotine. I guess cutting back to help yourself eventually quit anything that is bad for you might work for a lot of people. I hope it worked for your friend and that he is much happier and healthier now.
  18. DRHOLISTIC

DRHOLISTIC Member

[QUOTE="Scooby Snack, post: 70795, member: 3834" I ran into an old friend of mine a few years ago, and he told me a harrowing tale of how he rid himself of a coke addiction (actually I believe it was crack, but this seemed the appropriate forum to post this story).

He's a jazz musician and fell on some hard times, and he told me that he'd become an addict. Then one morning he looked at himself in the mirror, saw how he'd deteriorated, and began to cry. He said that was when he decided he needed to change. But rather than go cold turkey, he said he actually gave in to his cravings, and gradually reduced his intake over time. It has to be said that he said he found a book on breathing, and also re-doubled his focus on his craft as well, so that may have had something to do with it.

Has anyone else heard of someone actually TAKING the drug they're trying to quit, in order to kick the habit? Granted, my buddy is a very willful person, but I was curious if anyone else had heard of similar stories.[/QUOTE]

IT IS POSSIBLE for some, & not for others. Someone very close to me, and her husband, became heavily addicted to Crack, in the 80's, they ended up losing their kids, house, everything & LIVING ON THE STREETS & UNDER A BRIDGE. Forward TO THE PRESENT: THEY WEENED THEMSELVES OFF IT APPROXIMATELY IN THE LATE 90'S, GOT EVERYTHING BACK, INCLUDING NEW JOBS. SHE NOW MANAGES A CHAIN OF HOTELS & HE OPERATES HEAVY MACHINERY, THEY OWN SEVERAL HOMES, AND THEIR KIDS ARE ALL MARIED & HAVE THEIR OWN HOMES. ONLY THING, SHE LIKES TO RELAX AFTER WORK, ON HER PORCH, SMOKING A JOINT, BUT IT'S BEING PRESCRIBED FOR PAIN & RELAXATION ..
    Dominica likes this.
  19. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

This wouldn't be my first choice, but if it worked for this person, more power to them.

There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to overcoming an addiction and finding recovery. Whatever works. But I don't think this is the best option.
  20. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

i think it can vary from person to person...the getting off of drugs. maybe some can get off the way your friend did, many i guess many may need some additional support (and perhaps professional support)....

and people need to know it's ok to ask for extra support. to admit that they can't do it on their own...and there are various paths to recovery, like @deanokat said...

thank you for your input.
    deanokat likes this.