An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weary of alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by kate23, Feb 14, 2015.

1. kate23

kate23 Member

Has anyone on here never really had alcohol before because you're afraid you might become too reliant on it?

And for those that do drink, do you have boundaries? E.g. you won't go out and get drunk, or you won't drink more than once a week, or you won't drink hard liquor, etc?

ETA: Sorry about the typo - meant to type 'wary'!
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

I've never had alcohol before. While it is possible to drink in moderation at social events, and not get addicted, I still say no. There are many conflicting reports about the effects of alcohol, and we still can't say for sure whether it is good or bad. As someone who is incredibly stringent about health, I stay way. Of course, there is the slight possibility that I might not be able to stop myself and become an alcoholic anyway.
  3. Plus

Plus Member

I've known a lot of people who dislike alcohol for a number of reasons. Some people just don't enjoy the feeling they get when they drink, some just don't enjoy the taste.. there's so many reasons why people do or don't like it it's really up to the person themselves.
    After having a struggle with it and being clean for so long, now I just can't stand the feeling I get from it. The taste seems different to me now as well (such as it makes me feel sick instead of excited).
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

There are plenty of people who do not even want to go near anyone who is drinking out of fear that they could somehow end up drinking and mess themselves up. It's not a bad fear to have, honestly. Compared to a bunch of other obscure phobias, this is a walk in the park.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'm not wary of alcohol because I fear addiction.

I hate alcohol because I know what it does. Families broken, doing things you regret but can't undo. Death. Regardless of whether it's addictive or not, one should avoid alcohol because of what it will do to you [it's effects on your body and mind], how it will affect those around you and the possibility of an untimely death.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

For me it's a six pack every time I see my father, which is once every month or two. I used to be more keen on the booze intake but it caused too many problems. I've put a lot of **** in my body and I've gotta say, alcohol is a pretty heavy drug. Anyone who would be weary of ecstasy or OxyContin should be equally weary of booze.
  7. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I can take or leave drink, it's not such a huge deal! I do however have set rules and amongst those is to not let the alcohol control me. I mean this in the sense that the minute I feel like I am losing control even getting a bit tipsy, I stop drinking the alcoholic beverage and drink water.

I honestly prefer being of a sober mind at all times than having to be picked up and taken home drunk as a skunk! I hate the embarassment one feels after a night out binge drinking not to mention the killer hangover!

Plus I have witnessed the terror alcohol can bring in a family...it's a nasty piece of work once it has a hold on you.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never been a heavy drinker. It's not because I am afraid that I might get addicted to alcohol, it's just that I don't like its taste. I like wine though. But on rare circumstances, I love to go out and have a drink with some of my friends. I'm more of a social drinker, actually.
  9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Even if you did have the rule 'I won't drink hard liquor' you can easily be an alcoholic. Hard liquor is just a faster way of doing the same thing with wine & beer.

If you have to make rules for yourself before you have a drink perhaps you should look at why you're drinking at all. Making rules means you have the tendency not to follow common sense.