An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weather and recovery

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Does having nicer weather help out with your recovery and remaining sober efforts? It has been beautiful where I live for the past few days and it makes me feel more alive inside. Yesterday we were able to open up all the windows in the house and let the fresh air run through. How does the weather effect your efforts?
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Weather seldom affects my mood in general, but I did read about this disorder called "Seasonal Affective Disorder" wherein the person tends to get depressed during the colder months of the year. I guess their recovery is the one that would be severely affected when the colder months come around.
  3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Most people I know feel more happy and energetic in sunny weather. I myself have always liked rain. For me, when it rains it feels like the whole city is getting a bath, and all the dirt, smoke, and pollution are being washed away. It's very relaxing to me. My wife likes cloudy, windy days. It reminds her of her childhood when she used to fly kites with her father. I guess weather does have an effect on moods. If so, it might have an effect on recovery as well.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Yes, sunny weather and mild climatic conditions tend to lift everyone's spirits. Although, I have to say that personally I prefer moody days with lots of wind, clouds and a feeling of anticipation in the air. Those kind of days inspire me and enable me to concentrate better on what I need to do. Whereas, beautiful, enchanting days can give me a sense of ... I don't know... loss, comes to mind.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

We only have two seasons here in the Philippines. Rainy and sunny. During rainy seasons, I feel very lonely and sometimes depression kicks in. I don't know why. On the other hand, sunny seasons make me feel irritable due to the extreme heat. Nothing can make me happy I guess when it comes to weather, eh?
    scootpony likes this.
  6. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

I'm the same when it comes to extremes of weather, just can't cope. I prefer temperate climates :) regarding feeling lonely/depressed in the rainy season, maybe you're not getting enough vitamin D? I tend to feel pretty awful in the winter when the days are very short, but getting outside and going for a short walk every day really helps (even if you do get wet!)
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's been really nice in my part of the world too just recently. OK, it's not hot but the sun is out, the sky is blue and the first spring flowers have emerged. Rosyrain, I remember you posting a couple of months ago about the weather getting you down so I'm glad things are improving for you too : )
    Rosyrain likes this.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Weather just tells me if I need to put on a raincoat or not. It does not have an effect on my mood. Good weather or bad weather does not affect how an addict would feel correct me if I am wrong.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it should have some sort of effect. It's probably easier for someone to be happy when they are surrounded by the type of weather they like. I personally prefer it when it's raining or cold but most other people like it when it's sunny and warm.
  10. Rosyrain

My favorite time of year is when it is sunny, warm, and windy. I live near the ocean so those kind of days are typical during the spring months. I am not fond of August because those are the days when it is just hot.

I think a lot of people get depressed during the cold winter months because there is not a lot to do outside unless you are into winter sports.

My daughter was just telling me yesterday that she felt so energized with all of the sunshine outside. It was cute.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

When you are happy then its like nothing bothers you. If you are sad then everything hurts. I don't feel different regardless of the weather so its cool.
  12. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, weather of course has an impact on your life too. :D
    Here in Poland the weather sucks, but gladly it doesn't rain often.
    I like rain in the Summer when it's really hot. :p
  13. Rosyrain

I wonder if people who live in tropical areas are generally more happy than those of us who live in more temperate climates. I can always find something to be joyful about, but when there are days and days of dreary weather, it does tend to make me feel isolated and get me down.
  14. jon

jon Active Contributor

I think that it definitely helps me. I tend to feel better a lot of times when the sun is out and I can enjoy the outsdoors
  15. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

lol...I think long stretches of any kind of weather tend to get to most of us. Don't drown us and don't parch us and we'll all be ok.:)
  16. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I think over the last few years I have come to understand that I need warm weather and sun in my life for most of the year. I feel really down and trapped when there are days upon days of no sun. It has come to affect my mood while heavily.
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

Studies have shown that places with gloomy weather have higher suicide rates. Seattle is an example of that, where it rains all the time. It is true that sunshine can make you feel alive an well and keep your spirits up. We generally feel like staying in and doing nothing when it rains and if you are recovering then a rainy day may mean you have some idle hands while sitting at home and that is not a good thing. I think if you are recovering, you should have a rainy day plan. There are lots of things you can do in the indoors. It always helps if you have a job, then you are force to get out.
  18. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Some people feel down when it's raining but I enjoy it. I do love sunny days that's not scorching hot, they are also relaxing and enjoyable.
  19. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think the sun can do wonders. I remember reading in a Level psychology that depression levels are higher in countries that have less sun and also in the winter months this is because and he took the Sun trick is to make hormones that make us feel happier. So of course the weather can affect our mood and that'll make it easier for us to quit our. addictions
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

People respond differently to the frequent changes in weather. I, for one, seem to enjoy an overcast sky. There’s nothing more soothing and relaxing than a sky obscured with clouds. It represents a calm that precedes the storm, and even though there’s something ominous about it, we should savor that hush before it morphs into the obtrusive downpour or blizzard that everyone so badly tries to avoid.