An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weed and concentration, Studying

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, Jul 13, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hey all, I've experienced that small doses of weed can make one relaxed and calm and awake, which could be good for studying, but that's the instant effects on the brain, what about the long term effects on one's ability to focus?
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I agree that this tends to happen quite often when you smoke marijuana, however it's just a momentary sensation that can have as a result only lots of health conditions. Nothing truly serious, but it could potentially affect your short-term memory and you will need months to recover from that! This is what I experienced.
  3. amin021023

@rightct: That's right, the calmness and all the good things that may come when smoking weed comes with a lot of mental health risk, that's the real downside of smoking weed. And it's far more dangerous for people with genetic predisposition.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I can't get past the title of this thread. I have never seen the words "weed", "studying" and "concentration" together bofore - usually the first spells disaster to the other two things. The only benefit I could see to study is if one was taking a philosophical class. Then, I reckon that a cheeky joint could unlock some serious free thinking but as a general concentration aid, it's never work.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, that never worked well for me. I remember going to college high a couple of times, and I remember feeling like I understood everything. Also, the classes seemed to last for days. But the bad thing was, that when I came down, I always forgot most of what the class was all about. So, I don't think it's a good idea, unless you don't want to remember a thing the day of the exams.
  6. amin021023

That's why I mentioned low doses (that won't even get you high) like when you drink marijuana tea, see?
    I also read an article that said low doses of weed could make you calm just like the high doses of it could make you paranoid...
  7. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I used to smoke everyday but I quit the habit, but when I smoked and went to school I took immaculate notes, I was zoned out listening to the lecture so I always was listening looking at him while writing without looking down. Looking back, it was probably the psychological aspect of the high, but I felt like I understood everything like Henry - but I didn't forget them because I was scribbling notes the entire time. Granted, I may have invented a new Short-hand language (haha) but I understood every bit of it, so I guess that's all I needed.

Very low dosages though can relax you, same a low-strength muscle relaxer, and I can attest to that. But it's almost not noticeable unless you take a standard dose.
    amin021023 likes this.
  8. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

It's better to be safe than sorry. Avoid it all together instead of getting addicted later on which happens to the majority of the users.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Pot is known to cause issues with memory. I don't think it would be a wise idea to use it as a study aide.
  10. amin021023

I remember there was a time where I believed nothing's a problem for me while high ( I mean I felt I could do anything) I'm sure that kind of confidence and calmness would have helped me study but I was just not used to be productive while high, I liked to listen to music and do fun stuff but not studying, though low doses did help me study because I get kinda anxious and distracted when studying that's where relaxing from weed helped me.
  11. Shimus

With some people. I know some people with PHDs and second doctorates who smoke like a hippy, and have no issues with their ability on short or long term memories. However, I know many who could argue it did just that and damaged their ability to have short term memories. But I don't think it's wise just to lump them all together and say "it's a bad idea" - when it might work for one, it might not for another. Perhaps he was just one that it worked on?

It's not like I'm advocating for it, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying different people react differently to drugs.
    amin021023 likes this.
  12. amin021023

@JounyMacdonal: I also know guys you claim they own everything the accomplished due to weed, as strange as it sounds it's a god-send to some people, at least what they say...

@Shimus: exactly, you know, some say "drugs are like shoes, everybody needs them but they don't always fit" hahaha sorry I don't mean to advertise drugs but it could be refered to Coffie and Tea maybe chewable tobbaco...
  13. Shimus

Haha, that's a good sentence. I don't think I've ever seen it, but the message behind it is true. People just see the word "Drugs" and balk up. They really should just realize it's a categorization issue, not talking specifically about the "bad drugs" - drugs are all inherently bad if you take too much of them. That's not the issue, the people immediately going "drugs are bad" don't even stop to think about medicinal purposes, or purposes like this for studying.

Though, again, one may argue it's the psychological aspect of it all.
    amin021023 likes this.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never heard that smoking Marijuana may increase your concentration. I do see my friends who smoke they always have red eyes, looking at the book but seeing nothing. Ask them a question to realise they were not concentrating. They seem to be busy reading but they are just high, they cannot even read a full sentence. After 30 minutes, they get up, close the books and leave the room.
  15. Shimus

You can't just lump those friends into a widespread "it has to be this way" for other people as well. People all react to certain drugs and experiences differently. I for one, could only truly focus when I was 'mellowed out' buzzed' or 'high' - even if it was a psychological aspect and I bought into it, I felt like I could. I know some people who couldn't do anything but drool on themselves when they got high though, so like I said - different strokes for different folks.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

People have different results when smoking. Some would say that it calms them down so that they can think better, while others will just get hungry and laugh too much to study. So I'm not sure what to believe. I tried it a few times and all I did was laugh my head off and eat as much as possible. No studying was done when I was high.
  17. Shimus

@JoshPosh Then perhaps, get baked and then study your brains out, and come back with another story? Haha.

I never really ate things, unless friends were making it. Marijuana made me lazy, not really wanting to do much of anything that didn't just require the use of my eyes. This is why it helped me study, I felt I was "in the zone" and I could read any number of information and pick apart solutions from questions. In the end, I think it was psychological and such, but I never laughed my head off. I was always the one making the jokes to MAKE the others laugh their heads off! Haha.
  18. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Better prevent than cure, like someone said above. I strongly believe you can find other conventional ways of increasing your studying capacity without necessarily appealing to marijuana. It's got only bad things to offer thereafter, why would you risk your health and even money for something that could provoke you a lot of headache in the future? Try other ways, man. It's better. Trust me, once bitten, twice shy... don't reach that point.
  19. Shimus

True, there are always better other options.
  20. I think the human body is well able to do anything so long you mentally condition it. The problem is that you've conditioned it to believe you need to use marijuana for you to achieve a certain degree of concentration, which is really not the case. Well, it is true that you gain more concentration from weed but indeed there are much healthier ways of achieving that end.