An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

"Weed/Cannabis Culture"

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by SashaS, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Unfortunately, in the eye of most young people today, marijuana is just a fun thing to do and it's not looked at as something that could kill you. This is why in modern culture, there are communities and groups of people who look at smoking weed as a recreational activity. It's an unfortunate reality, especially with gamers. Gaming and weed has developed a sort of unity in some communities and this is why some things are looked at in that sense. This is especially bad as a lot of gamers are young. This may provoke some kids to try weed, because they saw it in a gaming video. If you search something like "MLG" ( Major League Gaming ) on YouTube, you'll see what I mean. There are forums such as Dank Gamers, that are about weed culture and gaming, implying that there is a link between them these days. I think it's taken a little too lightly and it renders some people oblivious to the negative side of smoking.

It's none of my business and I don't really care about what they do with their lives but I think that marijuana is still looked at as more of a recreational, harmless activity than it is something that has negative effects.
  2. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

The fact that some countries has legalized the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes will also send the wrong message to many. Most persons in my community who smoke weed would tell me it's the best medicine that's why they smoke it, some even say it helps them to focus and learn better. Whenever they are going to gamble or play sports they will use weed as an enhancement. This is not good because they are ignoring the risks/side effects attached. The most anyone can do now is try to educate them about the negatives and they will still have to make their own decisiond as it relates to quitting or not.
    SashaS likes this.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The problem with this is that it doesn't help enhance their focus. It does on the other hand calm down their craving for marijuana and creates a false sense of focus.
    Try have a conversation with someone that's high and see how focused they are.
    SashaS likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's a lot of misinformation about weed circulating that's getting lots of young people interested in the drug. The curiosity [desire to find out if what they've heard is true gets them to experiment] and when you are optimistic that something will have a certain effect on you then it most likely will. This is why many who try weed for the first time often continue using it.
    SashaS likes this.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Lol, tell me about it! I have had several conversations with my father while being high on not just marijuana but crack cocaine. The effect it has on him is minimal, especially marijuana. He does not really act any different to me but probably I am just accustomed to seeing him in that state.
  6. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Thanks for the informative replies!
    I agree that there is a lot of misinformation circulating and it's due to the fact that young people are not only curious as Rainman mentioned, but also naive. If one friend says it's fine, then the others will follow. I admit to being like this when I was younger and I ended up doing many silly things that I would have never done if not for my friends. Young people are also usually a little more optimistic and they tend to appreciate the good in things before considering the negative. The legalization of marijuana does have a large effect on that, but the governments can't do that much about it because there are protests and activist groups who are pro-marijuana and you can't just say no to them. It also creates jobs and adds to the economy.

I believe that marijuana for legal and positive purposes is ok, but using it for fun is and in an unregulated manner is obviously a bad thing, but also something that is very difficult to stop. It's mainly up to parents to make sure their children don't fall victim to it.
  7. Joethefirst

I'm sure it he is a habitual user, your dad is the exception to the rule. He has built up such a resistance that he is able to function while he is high. The majority of users use it on a more casual bases and it affects them in a different way. They have done a study recently comparing habitual users to weekend smokers and the results were very different, to say the least. Just search marijuana and driving on YouTube and you can see it.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is so true on countries or cities where marijuana have been legalized. They see it as a recreational thing and not something that is bad. Just like how others see alcoholic drinks and cigarettes as these products are considered as legal.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There's definitely an association between smoking marijuana and gaming, especially online gaming. This is particularly evidence in the UK where it seems to have become a large part of the culture among not just youngsters but I also know many older people who are the same, some of them middle-aged. Smoking marijuana has very much become a social activity and a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that it's harmless.
  10. Joethefirst

Unfortunately this is the image that has been enforced in recent years. This has made people change their habits, now they don't drink an smoke cigars, now they smoke pot with the excuse that it helps them focus.
  11. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

@SashaS I personally do not agree with your statement about marijuana being able to kill you. The fact that kids only use it as a recreational tool is a bad thing, but at least they aren't doing heavy drugs such as heroin, cocaine or even something worse like herowain. Your statement about marijuana being heavily associated with gamers is also untrue. MLG certainly has a lot of fanboys that use their time to ridicule MLG for certain things.
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried weed?
    SashaS likes this.
  12. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I really find it hard to believe that gaming culture in general is becoming more and more linked with marijuana use. I'm sure there are sub-sects within the sub-culture dedicated to gaming while high, but if you're talking about community gaming, and especially about competitive gaming, there is simply no way that people who want to function at their best will allow their judgement and mental faculties to be impaired by drugs when they need to focus. I've tried playing video games high, and I was far from crisp.

Personally this feels to me like yet another lame attempt at bashing gamers--they have been a scapegoat since at least the 90's, when I was a kid. Most gamers are benign folks that just want to have a good time doing something fun.
    philthegoat likes this.
  13. Joethefirst

I don't think that all gamers are pot smokers. I would actually go as far as saying the great majority don't smoke marijuana at all, after all if they use their money on pot they won't have any money for the latest game.
  14. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

@Scooby Snack I agree with you saying that gamers have been the scapegoat since the 90's. People are always shifting the blame onto them for the slightest things. All we are trying to do is just have some fun. Sure, there are a few that do smoke weed and possibly even do other drugs, but I can say that the majority of them don't use any sort of drug at all, they do need to function well while playing.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Marijuana is indeed not as harmless as the other drugs, so no wonder it got legalized in some states, but of course when abused it can lead to more serious problems. I guess it's just up to the person whether to use it lightly or to abuse it. If they chose not to use it then it would be even better.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is worrisome, because marijuana usage during those tender ears has been linked to a lower overall IQ once they hit adulthood. It's scary if you ask me, because this has been proven and backed up by science. So yes, I find this really troubling and disturbing. I'm so glad I don't have children, I dread raising teenagers.
  17. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Its the new cool thing to do and every roll model a teenager could possibly have are promoting it. The gaming culture, the movies, Singers and artist in general even pro athletes. Its basically impossible not to be influenced by your environment when everything points to smoking marijuana as a good and cool thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against weed, I think there are very positive things we can get out of it, but must be done properly without excess just like everything else. Many culture incorporate marijuana smoking as a part, but they have boundaries, generally accepted behavior. We just have marijuana and not a clue how to use it.
  18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Most of the kids in my school right now smoke marijuana just to look cool and have something extra to do. Why can't they just to get new jobs or something or even maybe do volunteer work? It's always better to do something else than to sit around and smoke marijuana all day!
  19. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The reality is that it is mostly a recreational drug. It's a known fact that marijuana isn't physically addicting like other drugs are. What negative effects are you referring to exactly?
  20. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

And how long ago did you read those studies? The most recent studies have found exactly the opposite of what you're claiming.

1. http://www.pnas.org/content/113/5/E500
    2. http://jop.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/01/06/0269881115622241.abstract