An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

weed smoking

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Jo96, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Jo96

Jo96 Member

Hello, everyone, I have a problem and need some help. I started smoking weed several months ago, I thought that it is ok, marijuana can't cause addiction. But one day I found the article on the internet, there site Addiction Resource said that weed smoking can cause abuse and it can be a serious problem. What do you think?
    Thank you.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I think anything can be abused even if it's not a substance. Some say it is a gateway drug,I personally think the true gateway drug is alcohol but I imagine for some marijuana could be as well,everything should be done in moderation, as anything can become an obsession or an addiction.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Jo96... Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I totally get your concern about weed. Although I don't smoke it, I've got a son who has. Based on my experience with him, I would say that pot is definitely addictive. It may not be as physically addictive as some other drugs, but I think the psychological factor is huge. That said, I also believe that, like other mind-altering substances, marijuana isn't addictive for everyone. I think a person's brain has to be wired for addiction in order for them to get hooked on weed. Just like some people can have a couple of drinks socially from time to time and never have a drinking problem. Or people who try cocaine and never get hooked. Every person is different. That's my opinion.

I agree with @True concern that alcohol is the true gateway drug, and probably the most dangerous drug, too. But I think using any mind-altering substance isn't the best idea. I think the risks far outweigh the rewards. Again, just my opinion.

Do you feel like you have an addiction to weed? How often do you smoke? Just curious. But don't feel obligated to share. Just know that we're here to help and support you however we can, no matter what.

Thanks again for posting.
    True concern likes this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Jo96 hello and welcome! i agree that many things can become addictive. with marijuana, i've heard plenty of people say they never got addicted...even those that have been addicted to cigarettes... others HAVE become addicted...and found it very challenging to quit.

so, it depends on different factors... i don't think it's worth the risk. and, if you're smoking it regularly, then it's likely the brain will become addicted to that dopamine boost.... it'll remember, "oh yeah.... smoking that weed makes me feel so good, peaceful... i want more!"

so i'd be careful.
    deanokat and True concern like this.