An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

weed

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by concerned/care, Mar 1, 2016.

1. My 21 year old son has been smoking Marijuana since he was about 12 years old. At 19-20 he went off to jobcore in St. Louis in the fall. When he returned home for Christmas break, he was acting very strange, rather, he seamed like he was "HI" for hours. We knew he smoked weed and just managed his behavior til he returned to jobcore. By the end of January my husband had to drive to St. Louis and retrieve our son from a psych unit at a St. Louis hospital. Why, did we bring him home?; after 2 weeks of him being on the psych unit and his diagnosis was "non-specified phychosis", the hospital was going to commit him to a permit mental institution. Weed is dangerous and can create permeates mental damage. He presently takes an antidepressant and is in group therapy.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome @concerned/care. Thank you for sharing with us. I'm sorry to hear about the experience of your son's health. Sometimes as parents of adult children we have to do what we feel is best for them when they are not able to. I pray that he is doing much better under your care at home and in group therapy.

Others will join in soon to share their thoughts and experiences. In the meantime visit other forums to become more familiar with the forum about marijuana and its causes and affects as well as shared experiences.
    gracer likes this.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well good thing that he is now being treated, I wish your son all the best, and hopefully may he recover in the soonest time possible.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sorry to hear that @concerned/care. It's a good thing that your intervened before he was committed to a mental institution. Most people never are the same if they ever leave these institutions. At least your son was spared this and I hope that group therapy will help him beat the addiction.

That pro-marijuana advocates never tell people that there's a high likelihood marijuana abuse negatively impacts one's mental health is proof that they have ulterior motives.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

@concerned/care, welcome to the forum. It's sad to hear what you and your family are dealing with. You don't have to convince me about the dangers of weed. While many might want to dismiss it as harmless, I have seen the negative effects it can have on many. Maybe your message here will stop someone from even trying out the seemingly harmless 'plant'. Of course it's a very broad subject including it's medicinal use but in your case, the effects were quite damaging.

I hope going forward that you see some positive results and that your intervention has put your son on the road to recovery. Just know that you have our full support and we look forward to hearing more from you on his progress.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

I'm sorry to hear your family is struggling with this situation. It sounds to me like your son may have had an existing mental health issue he was attempting to self medicate with the marijuana. If that is the case, it's very fortunate he didn't resort to something far more dangerous. Hoping he is now getting the help he needs for his issue and wishing your family strength during his recovery.
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It is a very depressing when something like that happens in the family; we may have seen it in movies or heard it from someone. We always hope it is a nightmare that will end. I'm sorry for what your @concerned/care family is going through. I hope and pray your son can be healed and stable again.

Don't lose hope. Believe in God and miracles do happen.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Did you know he was smoking weed when he was 12 or just recently? Well what's important is that you are now helping your son in trying to rebuild his life. He's too young to be in such a situation. Perhaps you should spend more time with him. He appears lonely and in need of affection. Antidepressants and group therapy may help but something has to change so his addiction to weed won't recur.
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @concerned/care! I'm truly sorry to hear that the marijuana has taken a toll on your son's mental health but I'm also full of admiration for your strength and courage to face this problem head on. Parenthood is one of the toughest jobs and it becomes even tougher once we face trials like these. Our patience and strength are tested and sometimes they can get so overwhelming that we feel so hopeless. I only have the best of wishes for you and your family and I'm hoping that your son would continuously recover through his group therapy and your unending support.
    MrsJones likes this.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know about that. Too much use of substances more if it is illegal drugs can alter the mind or affect the personality of a person. It can cause delusions as mentioned on various articles or studies. Good thing he is on treatment and hope for his fast recovery.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there! Thanks for sharing. Sadly there isn't much you can do about his addiction right now, but it sounds like he is trying to work on it. I have heard about the side effects of marijuana, but not everyone gets the same long-term effects. We all have different reactions to it due or body chemistry, some people should stay away from it, specially those prone to mental illness, because it can make things worse.

Anyways, I wish you and your son the best. I hope he can tackle this vice! He started smoking it so young... never a good idea for a developed tween to do such a thing (their brain is still developing), but nothing can be done now. All you can do is to hope for the best. Please keep us informed and best of luck with everything.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@concerned/care... I'm sorry to hear about your son's issues. My son was smoking weed when he was struggling with depression. The thing is, the weed prevents the antidepressants from doing their job. So things can become sort of a mess. I will keep good thoughts for you and your boy. Know that we are here to help and support you in any way we can.
  13. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Good news that he is being treated for the misuse. Hope he does well and becomes better!
  14. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

It's a good thing to see that he was brought back before getting admitted to an institution.
    Wishing you and your son the best. Hope he recovers soon :)
  15. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

I am very happy to hear the news that your son is now being treated. Just don't allow him to relapse at any cost. If he passes the withdrawal period successfully, I am sure that he will be normal again. The withdrawal period may be very difficult but once it is over, his mind will return to normal state again and once again he will be a happy person. :)
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Hello, thanks for sharing your story with us.
    I'm sorry for all the things that you've been through, I know that is not easy, but it's possible to overcome those bad times and at the end of the day, you get to learn about them and that's how we grow as humans, and you never really stop growing.
    Good luck!
  17. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I have the same problem as your son and I'm really sorry for you, him and me :( I'm doing my best to keep away from those stuff, and try to keep him with you because that was keeps me away from weed, staying with familly
  18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

We are all very sorry this happened. I have been browsing for some similar cases involving marijuana but I couldn't find any. He did start very early. I mean, 12 years is just ridiculous and I don't know how you missed that. I guess you tried to help him as much as you could. Sometimes it is not possible. I have been using weed for more than 10 years. On and off and I never had any problems. I feel smart enough and it even helps me with some issues. Maybe it is because I use it very carefully and I never use too much. It has been two years since I haven't smoked and I feel the same.
    I honestly hope that he will get back to you and your family. He has life in front of him and many things to enjoy.
  19. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Man..I'm sorry to hear that. I was well aware that marijuana can trigger some serious mental disorder in certain people, but I just haven't heard of anybody until now. I have some friends that went mental over the years and now are homeless, but they used to do many hard drugs besides weed. This is the scariest consequence of marijuana I've heard of. Thank you for sharing so more people gain awareness of this.
  20. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your son's addiction and experiences. However, just as addiction can impact mental health, recovery can go hand in hand with improvements in the same area. It would be good if your son would agree to attend NA meetings. In addition, it might be helpful for you and your husband to locate and attend NarAnon meetings. They're for family and friends of people suffering from addiction. The meetings are free, the people are welcoming and helpful. If that doesn't feel right for you, consider counseling with your pastor or a local nonprofit. And stop back in here to let us know how you're all doing.