An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weekend drinker

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by aimeep80, May 1, 2015.

1. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

Hi all, just wanted to wish everyone a happy weekend and ask if anyone has a loved one that only drinks on the weekends? This is the days that my husband drinks since he has relapsed. BUT he got a promotion yesterday (Thursday) and he came home with a 6 pack. Told me he was going to drink 3. Well..he drank those three within an hour and I woke up this morning to one left. I'm so worried his drinking is going to become a nightly thing. I know it can become that very easily. Just wondering if anyone else has a loved one who drinks weekends "only"?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Congratulations on your husband's promotion! I would say that you should talk to him about his leisurely drinking and remind him what that has done to him in the past. It's okay if the average person drinks on the weekends only, but a former alcohol abuser shouldn't be drinking on any day of the week, no matter how long it's been since he or she recovered. I'd talk to him about everything as soon as possible.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it will be better to talk to him and share your worries. That could help him realize to control himself in drinking too much and in an often basis. I do have relatives who used to drink every night until dawn.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Make him feel wonderful about his promotion, but make it known that you do not approve of the direction his drinking habits are going. He needs to understand that if he is not careful, he could definitely be going down a steep path that will be extremely difficult to get back up.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I became a weekends only drinker during my last relapse. It happens more often than you'd think. If you can, try to remind him the reasons why he decided he wanted to stay sober. Don't harass him though, do it in way he barely notices you are reminding him. Does he go to AA meetings?

That always helped me during the tough times. I ultimately stopped drinking during the weekends, because the last time I did it I had what could be better described as the worst hangover ever just 2-3 hours after drinking.

I took that as a sign my liver could no longer deal with alcohol the way it once did. It was obvious for me I had to stop. Now feel so disgusted every time I think of drinking tequila...
  6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Congratulations on your husband's promotion. As for his drinking habits, take a firm and kind approach to mitigating it. Be disapproving of his (negative) change of drinking habits, and explain to him how to can negatively impact him in the future. But most importantly, be understanding and work with him to resolve this issue. A good support-base is a crucial safety net against drug, or in this case, alcohol abuse.
  7. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Yes. I know what you mean and I think it's much easier than an everyday situation but after all it can be bad and affecting because you don't see it everyday, but you might see it weekly. It's sad but it's an easier situation to overcome for sure.
  8. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

Have you talked to him about it? Maybe if you express your concern he will understand you are worried.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think drinking on weekends only is but the start of a journey. The body once again will get dependent on alcohol and your husband will be back to drinking twice a week, three times a week and then eventually . . . he'll be drinking daily. Before it gets there do whatever it takes to convince him to stop drinking once again.
  10. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Absolutely. I know people too who drank once a week, it's such a miserable thing. It's just like food, the more you have the more you need it.