An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weight gain after quitting

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by GettingBetter, Nov 14, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

5 pounds is pretty nice, I know people who even gained 20 pounds after they quit. On the other hand, there are people who lost weight due to stress caused by cravings, I think that's worse. After a while your body will settle so there will be no discrepancies in weight.
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

That's the trouble with trying to quit. We always look for something to replace the habit, and the most common replacement is food. But, like the OP said, if you exercise and burn those extra calories, it's easy not to get fat.
  3. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I did gain weight, mostly because for me food became a substitute to cigarettes. Good thing is that a year later I managed to lose all the weight I gained through exercise.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

If you gain a little extra weight when you quit smoking it just means you are eating better then you were before. The gains from quitting smoking will without a doubt be greater then those if you carry on smoking. So what if you gain a few extra pounds, it just means that your body is getting back on track.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I just lost interest in smoking and when that happened, I did not notice any change in my appetite, I still ate the same amount of food. Good for you that you only gained 5 pounds, I hope that you won't be too much overweight.
  6. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Yea cigs curb your appetite so that makes a lot of sense.