An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Weird Dreams

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by rEEzytheKiD, Jan 21, 2016.

1. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

Has anyone ever had very strange dreams when they're sober for the first week or so. Mine tend to be very lucid and I just recognize they're only like that after I drink an insane amount and then stop. I also wake up at random times in the early morning. Does anyone else have specific things that they go through while starting the road to recovery?
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi there @rEEzytheKiD! :) I've never experienced such a thing but I think you're experiencing your body's adjustment with your alcohol intoxication. Different adjustments and reactions are usually experienced during recovery so I encourage you to keep fighting these things but if you would ever feel like they're overwhelming you, you could always ask for help from organizations or groups near you so you could share each other's experiences and eventually help each other.
  3. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

Hello @gracer. I don't really see it as a bad thing. I think it's my body detoxing and trying to get back up to speed after a weekend long booze fest. It only lasts for about a week but could be longer if I continued to drink but this time I only slipped for one weekend. Thank you for the response!
    gracer likes this.
  4. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I always have crazy dreams and in this particular stage it is somehow more prominent. Lucid dreaming and some weird situations in dreams are always present and sometimes terrifying. I fall, get beaten up while unable to defend myself. Someone is choking me and I wake up choking myself. I had been dreaming the same dream over and over again. I fall from the stairs in attempt to escape somebody but I never actually fall. I get back at the beginning of the stairs and fall over and over again.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That must be really scary djolem. Does it wake you up, or are you able to continue sleeping? I sometimes have strange dreams but they are something that I am able to manage. Usually my dreams are not terrifying...nor are they mundane they are somewhere in between the two. I am not sure what I would do if I was having scary dreams all of the time.
  6. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

Alcohol is know to disturb your REM cycle when you sleep, which is when you dream. When you drink alcohol it stops REM from happening or it interrupts it. After your body is free of the alcohol your sleep cycles return to normal. Marijuana has a similar effect. I couldn't remember any dreams that I had for the two years that I smoked, but as soon as I stopped smoking I had really insane, vivid dreams. After a while they'll mellow out as your body gets used to uninterrupted REM sleep.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Agree with all you citing alcohol's side effect influencing dreams even if you have stayed sober for days. Alcohol isn't eliminated fast from your bloodstream and depends on the level of consumption, it may not only remain in your body, but may have already affected some other of their functions.

I don't remember if alcohol perturbed my dreams before or after recovery, but I know for sure that whenever I'm facing (or about to face) a stressful situation, this reflects in my dreams or make them be unpleasant. In a recovery process, quitting is stressful, and this can be indeed the cause of perturbing dreams.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

To be honest, as far as I know, in my life as a drinker I don't recall ever having a dream while drunk. I always wake up the next day only with bits and pieces of what happened the night before, never remembering any dreams at all. Don't know if it's just me, but I don't dream when I'm drunk.
  9. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

My dad went through some crazy dreams and even some hallucinations both when he quit drinking and when he quit cigarettes
  10. tomservo

tomservo Member

The weird thing is, I actually experience the exact opposite. When I'm sober, I rarely have weird dreams, and I wake up at a pretty normal time. However, when I fall asleep drunk, I have the most bizarre and vivid dreams, and I often wake up much earlier than what is normal for me. I have no idea why, though.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't recall anything like that, but I would imagine like you said that it's probably just your body detoxing in some way, and I guess maybe there's different chemicals in our brains that impact stuff like that. I would imagine it's different from individual to individual!
  12. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can make you have some dreams or confusion as you are drunk and can see things which may not be real and also it can make some people disturbed and also have seen some people have strange dreams which makes them think of things that may be real in their mind only and not really there which can take time for a person to get out of their mind. I think that people need to be aware of what they see and try and think of what they see or have in the mind and try and seek help if they are having dreams, which can be harmful for them or causing fear for the mind and they can't get any peace of mind when they are sleeping at night. The brain can be confused sometimes and also it may cause us to see things which don't exist and due to alcohol being in our body we may not think straight and have a frustrating day and also confused even more when we are tired and can't do things properly.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

YES!
    Oh my it really freaked me out.
    I never used to dream, didn't think much of it.
    Doc says the alcohol (and other drugs) was causing me not to get proper sleep and thus I wouldn't have or remember my dreams if I had them.
    Took me a month to get used to having dreams...
    rEEzytheKiD likes this.