An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Went Clubbing and Saw a CHILD?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Miaka_M, May 27, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I just randomly walked into a club with my cousin the other day because we were curious as to why the sign said "festive restaurant." Alas, we had no idea that it was a club! We arrived and saw many people drinking, dancing, some were missing bits of their clothing this way and that. I really needed the washroom and when I went, there was a man in the lady's washroom. I turn around and I see a child. A child sitting there while her mother was swarmed with drinks staring at a man dancing (I assumed that this was her husband or boyfriend). This child looked no older than 10 and this was about 11 pm.

My question is, why would you bring your child to a bar? If you didn't have a baby sitter to look after them, would you bring them with you still? Personally, I find this alarming, any thoughts?
  2. Wow. I can't even picture that scenario clearly in my head, and I've been trying for a few minutes lol. That's ridiculous. I'm so careful with what my daughter is exposed to, I feel like a bad mom if she sees even girls in bikinis on TV or something. I can't imagine dragging her with me to a club's...in the bathroom...while I watch a man dance. I'm done with people after this lol.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

That’s irresponsible, to say the least. Sadly I can say I know someone whose mother was known to drag her along to strip clubs at a very young age. I can understand wanting to unwind like this even when you have a child, but if you really can’t find a babysitter I would think it’d be better to put your child’s needs ahead of your own, even if that means forgoing clubbing for one night.
  4. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

That sounds like a crazy, provocative, raucous atmosphere that shouldn't have any child even near there, getting exposed to such kind of life at so young an age. That is absolutely irresponsible of that mother. Don't believe she knows or cares anything about parenting, just about living her life. That's selfish. And even if you don't have a babysitter, stay home and mind your child.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

I've always thought that all governments should take some control over child birth. Why do I say this? Because there's just too many parents out there NOT suitable to have a child. I would suggest requiring some type of licence to have a kid, and to get it, couples must be required to pass a bunch of psychological tests to find out if they're responsible enough to have a kid. It may sound a bit harsh, but this is the only way I can think of that could really prevent this type of crap. The thought that any crazy bastard is totally capable of bringing a child into this world and raising it, is a horrifying one.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It depends what country you saw this in. Some countries allow this type of thing. Now if it was the states then I think there are laws about having minors in a establishment like that. Several laws are being broken here.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A parent never should take his or her child to such a place. These places can be dangerous. It's not uncommon for drunk people to fight and there's no telling who gets hurt when such fights erupt. Last year there was some fracas in a night club. Shots were fired and . . . one of those who were hit was a 12 year old girl. Bad things happen any place where there is alcohol and kids must be kept away from there at all costs.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In such place there should be no minors allowed especially kids. Parents should be responsible on what their kids are witnessing or seeing around him. There should be strict rules on such place that no kids must be there.
  9. Miaka_M

Strip clubs? Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine how someone can expose their child to something like that. I mean, a simple bar is one thing, but a strip club is something completely different. I think that staying home would be a better choice than taking the child with you.

I don't think that any country should let something like this pass at all. I'm actually from Toronto, Canada, so this is something that is not allowed. I don't think that it is a big club/recognized, its more like a small community bar. But make no mistake, it is still the same environment on the inside unfortunately.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Children taken to the bars today might easily turn into future addicts, criminals, or misfits, I can't believe someone could be so irresponsible to do such a thing.

Although let me tell you that I have seen people who are late at night with children and get into bars or other nightclub venues leaving the children outside, which I don't know if it's worst because they are not just exposed to the outdoor cold of the night, but all its dangers, not to mention the abandonment feeling those children may feel.

Whether allowed or not, there should be a phone number where to call to report this and get a social worker involved to see what's wrong with those individuals that can't see what they're doing with the poor kids.
  11. CallipygianGamine

@Rainman I think I remember hearing a story like that, and you raise another good point. The atmosphere can turn violent rather quickly at a club or bar, even the ones that seem pretty chill. It doesn’t even have to be a full-on bar brawl to put others in danger; an altercation between two people can still harm others. I wouldn’t want to risk bringing a child into that.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I think in such a case one should perhaps ask the kid if it's feeling alright, and whether there is another family member nearby. Obviously, one can expect to get a rude answer from the mother or other people who are present, but it's not as important as making sure that the kid is alright.
    My own mother often took me along to inappropriate places when I was child, and she always attracted plenty of male interest. In hindsight, I am glad that none of these "uncles" ever tried anything more sinister than just play with me and offer me sweets.
  13. Miaka_M

You're right, because they are exposed to such a life at such a young age, there is no telling what could happen because some may like the atmosphere and think "they look like they're having so much fun!"

Outside? I've actually never heard of such a thing, but oh dear, I think this is a lot worse, they have no one there to protect them from the outside world. They can easily be kidnapped or given things they shouldn't be consuming. There really should be a number to report to when something like this happens.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think children shouldn't be allowed to enter clubs, even if they're with their parents. They can get exposed to a lot of nasty stuff that would only harm them.
    The parents are to blame here. They are very irresponsible and this can reprocicate into a really bad mentality for their children if they continue to bring the kid to bars.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

That's really unfortunate for the kid implicated into this. I'm pretty sure he didn't even have a word to say on him coming or not, regardless of his age, since his/her brought him anyway, probably even by force. I really want this to be the worst case scenario, as I wish the respective woman was a bar employee or something like that... ugh. And we whine why kids nowadays are depraved.
  16. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Tsk, tsk, my question is the same - why bring a child to a club? Hmm, how about if that child is the child of the club's owner who passed by just to get something in the club's office? Or maybe the parents dropped by to use the bathroom? Or perhaps the child is wandering looking for her lost lamb? Hahahaaa, so many ifs but all we can do is speculate.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is sad, when a parent does this as the child is exposed to drinking and smoking and, in a drunk state many people don't have control over their actions in this state and the child could be in danger. I think a parent should not bring a child to this sort of place if they can't find a babysitter than miss a night from going to a bar or club. I think a parent should put the child first and not go to the club as most places do not let children in in New Zealand need to be 18 and over to enter and show a Passport, or Driver license to get into the club.
  18. CallipygianGamine

The friend I mentioned earlier in the thread, apparently her mom just “went in for a soda.” But I’d still think there would be much better options to buy a soda than a strip club, even at late hours…
  19. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I didn't know that it was okay for young children to enter bars in certain countries. In some countries the child would have to remain outside even if they are with a parent or guardian. I don't think a child should be exposed to what happens inside a bar at such a young age.
  20. dawn

dawn Member

I could never bring my child with me to a club or bar. I have a hard enough time even having a drink while at home if my children are around. I cannot even imagine how that child felt being there! So many things could happen to a child at a club that it scares me to even think about it. It is sad that the mother and father had to go out and drink so badly that they chose to take their child with. This is unacceptable.