An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Were You a "Functioning Alcoholic?"

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 8, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Would you consider yourself a functioning alcoholic when you were still drinking? A functioning alcoholic is someone who is still able to get up, go to work, and complete daily tasks while not staying sober. I would imagine that it is easier to stay in denial this way, because your mind probably tells you that you are still doing everything you need to do!

Even though they refer to it as "functioning" do you really think you were functioning, or just getting by? What I'm trying to say is, do you think that you were just doing routine behavior and getting it done, versus doing things to the best of your ability? I wonder how functioning people can truly be while not sober. From what I hear at meetings though, it seems like people can get quite a lot done!
  2. 003

003 Community Champion

It depends. Sometimes I would just really want to have a stimulant. I just want to get myself to working, and a right amount of alcohol stimulates me. But if that amount goes too much, it would make my body and mind nonfunctional, which of course I don't want to happen. If I can't really focus, I drink alcohol of just right amount.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I hardly drink nowadays, but back in my younger years, I think I was. I would drink til the early morning hours, get about 2 to 3 hours of sleep and still get up to go to work. It was rough. I don't know how I did it. But I did.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to drink up until about 2am and then get up to go to work also. I have not done this in years and don't think my body would handle it if I tried. My body needs rest now that I am older. It is also hard to mask the smell of alcohol on your breath and most employers will fire you for it.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I continued to go to work and maintain a normal appearance for years when I had a coke habit. Looking back (it's been eight years since I quit), I can't believe I used to live like that. I'm surprised things didn't collapse around me.

They say it is the functioning addicts who are the hardest to persuade to seek help. I imagine this is because you think that if you're managing to get to work as usual, then there can't really be a problem.