An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What?! Anti-addiction vaccines?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by EditorsRHumansToo!, Apr 23, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

From what I gathered in the medical world news, researchers have developed "anti-addiction" vaccines which stops cocaine from reaching the brain. The anti-addiction vaccine from cocaine will make the cocaine addict "not feel the desire to be high."

They, the makers of this anti-addiction vaccine, hope to see people "thinking about addiction same way you think about mumps, measles and polio, and eradicating it."

Tsk! Now, are they going to make people believe that cocaine addiction is a virus that needs to be eradicated with anti-addiction immunization?

Is this another vicious cycle that never goes anywhere but kill more humans as experiments?!

Urgh!!
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

First, that article is over a year old, and some of the references it cites are over two years-old. I haven't been able to find any major updates on the trials, but cocaine addiction is a problem, and a vaccine would work more as a preventative measure than anything else. Why would you assume this would lead to more humans being killed in experimentation? Do you have any evidence to back that up? Sure, all medicines and vaccines come with rare side effects that can lead to death, but a lot of things can cause death. If a vaccine COULD be developed to prevent certain addictions and save countless lives, then why wouldn't researchers try that?
  3. EditorsRHumansToo!

Thank you @AFKATafcar I knew the "making of the drug" could be 2 years old in the process-- could be more years of improving the drug-vaccine to pass FDA approval. But the news says that "human trials for cocaine vaccines to begin in 2014." Just last year-- the human trial. But there haven't been news about the vaccine's usefulness and success with lengthening, if not merely keeping alive to productivity and sound mind, of the lives of people who are under cocaine and drug abuse.

Another experimental drug to avert drug-use is ridiculous and dangerous cycle. Conventional , natural alternative should be put on the table for people to choose, in my opinion.

The point of the matter is, instead of putting in tax payers' billions of dollars of money to such research and experiments, why not invest on educating the people, support communities for rehab centers and medical scientists and research who DO really care about human lives?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

If this is legitimate, I could see this being a large help to society. But seeing that the article is over a year old with some relatively outdated sources, I think that there may not be any more advancements on this supposed scientific breakthrough.
  5. EditorsRHumansToo!

Outdated sources of truth doesn't mean they've lost their validity to the truth in which people have every right to hear and make decisions about. The purpose of human mind is to nurture it, educate it and use it for making sound judgment towards truth and the good-- to contribute to human lives, healing to wholeness and improving the quality of life. At the same time, enjoying life to the utmost.

That's the true "breakthrough."
    lynzyh28 likes this.

6. I want to know what are the side effects of this drugs. Also what is in it. There is always a new vaccine out and no one knows what it does until it is too late.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I don't really see anything wrong with it. The researchers are just doing what they can to prevent more cocaine addiction induced deaths. Besides, vaccines are usually preventive in nature so following this line of thought, that counter-cocaine drug could be taken by people who don't have cocaine in their system yet.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not sure about this too because I think substitution for addiction is never a permanent fix but if it's the type To help addicts ween off their addiction then it's probably more a good thing than bad as long as it is not seen or used in the wrong way.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that, this would not really do any good as the person would be taking in the cocaine but not feel the affects as well it could have more consequences which may even take lives as well. The information old but the idea, quite interesting to see and also what could be made in the medical world and hope more information is given to us about it some time later. I hope we learn more about this, when it is revealed to be what is going on and we should be able to make a informed choice as well and what it can do for us as well.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There are still studies being carried out and I believe that an anti-meth drug is being developed too. If these vaccines actually do work and present no side effects then I fuly support them. I do agree that natural alternatives (if there are any for these purposes) should certainly be offered but bear in mind that if they require any mental effort from the patient then they may be quickly abandoned. We need a solution to get people off, and keep them away from drugs and if such vaccines can do this then they will also benefit society as a whole.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  11. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have heard of this as well and I think that it is worth researching for those who are just taking drugs to feel "normal." I think of addiction as a type of mental disorder and the brain chemistry is being changed from the addiction. At that point people are just slaves to their addiction so it would be great to have another way to go about it.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think anything that can help people combat their addictions is a good thing, even if they may not work, at least the research and development Will come in useful and bring people a step closer.
  13. Matthodge1

That is a good point. But with no new word on this scientific breakthrough, it makes you wonder whether or not there is someone who is still looking to make this a legitimate thing.
  14. Matthodge1

There are always tests to see whether or not it works. There are prototypes.
  15. EditorsRHumansToo!

"If it ain't broken, don't do a fixin'" I tweaked this a little. Most researches and experiments like these-- vaccines -- do not report death results. Cocaine addiction is already an anatomical disaster, "broken". To fix and recover it is to, first, detox. And then, fill the damaged nerves and cells with healing harmless cell-fortifying, replenishing nutrients (not another drug) to keep the billions of cells to revive and be clean again. I heard a proven cure of Vitamin C, ascorbic acid from Dr. Suzzane Humphries and doctors like her, Pauling, (not very popular among professional doctors and Big Pharmas). These "Heretics", they are branded by professional doctors, have thousands of proofs and evidences of cured patients. You see their care and braving criticisms for over 30+ years of recorded success with traditional Vit. C.
    They never made billions of dollars, though, from sick and the perishing.

Thanks for the challenge.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If that vaccine could really help in preventing the cocaine addiction it is a good thing. Just make sure that there will be no side effects since it seems to be something that will target the mind or the brain. These kind of vaccines should do more good and safe than harm.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If you take it while you're already high then that's not a drug vaccine. That's just another addiction-repelling drug. You kind of misunderstood. Is it really called drug vaccine or did you just invent that term? I stress this out again: vaccines are preventive. You administer them before, not during or after the addiction.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Even if this particular one fails it doesn't mean it is a total failure since the research and development that went into it will surely benefit other similar products in the future, even if they are unrelated to addiction even.
  19. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Mind altering drugs are scary to say the least, but in combination with an addictive personality it spells disaster to me. I don't know why scientists would go to great length creating some synthetic substance to change the way your mind operates. Haven't they understood by now that the whole person needs to be treated on a physical, mental, spiritual and emotional level. I guess it's self-explanatory. It will be another multi-billion dollar deal for pharmaceutical corporations when or if this drug comes onto the market.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  20. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I never heard of that until now and I sincerely hope this is not another case in which the "cure" is worse than the "disease". I think that people should not consume it and therefore production would stop, that's the correct way to follow, not to develop more drugs.
    karmaskeeper likes this.