An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What?! Anti-addiction vaccines?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by EditorsRHumansToo!, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Yeah, me neither, I don't think vaccines are the solution for anything, they are just something invented that in the long run will prove to be harmful. Let's hope not.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

The only way to not get addicted to cocaine is NOT using it. This is the same for any other drug. And they still damage your body, so this is not a good idea at all. I want no chemicals injected into my brain and body!
  3. sunflogun

Nothing like keeping it simple huh Nergaalh? But you are right, why vaccines and other considerations when all that we need to do is to stop consuming?
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, really? I have never heard of this news before, but I am actually fine with it. The anti-addiction vaccine could be a huge help in a way. No matter how strange this may sound, it is still a good medical research.
  5. sunflogun

It simply doesn't seem real to me. So how would it work, I would get the vaccine, use the drugs and would not get high? As simple as that? What about side effects?
  6. lin-duh

lin-duh Member

I have heard something about this about heroin, not cocaine. I actually don't think it's a bad idea. However, I wonder if it would be dangerous. For example, what if the person kept trying to use because they wanted to get high, and they weren't getting high because that part was blocked from their brain, but what if they used so much TRYING to get high that it caused them to overdose? Is that a possibility? That would be the main thing I would be worried about.
  7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

I seem to remember this discussion about vaccines to cure or prevent opiate addiction. Just imagine never being able to use any opioid, no matter how much pain you may be suffering from. A cocaine vaccine could block the effect of many drugs such as lidocaine.

One concern is whether or not it would interfere with the closely related xanthine drubs such as caffeine, theobromine, and theophyllin. I have seen some sources in the past which included cocaine with the xanthines, but what I see currently is that they are closely related and cocaine effects the same chemical pathways, blocking pain in the same way. I suppose that researchers would be aware of his problem.
  8. sunflogun

In theory it might even look good, but to make the body not feel the drugs most likely they are messing us all up, so the consequences or side effects might be bad too.
  9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Looking at the replies I see a lot of people who do not seem to realize how many people die from cocaine addiction, and others who just seem to have absolutely no clue how addiction works. "Just Say No" is the stupidest motto ever created. There are very real physiological processes involved in addiction, and people who are prone to addiction don't just need a pep talk.
    Vaccines have saved BILLIONS of lives, and prevented a great deal of misery. I realize that most of you are too young to remember polio, but I am not. A cocaine vaccine may have problems (I listed the possible problems above), but it is possible that it may be an important answer for some of the victims of this blight.
  10. sunflogun

We cannot deny the value of vaccines thomas, but at the same time we still do not know the side effects that they have or the relation with the new diseases that have appeared.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I totally agree with you on that note. It seems that in far to many cases this rings true. I just wish people would be able to beat addiction without putting anything else in their bodies.
  12. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Wow this is an interesting read because I have never heard of such a thing before. I think that is might be a bit far-fetched, but maybe one day these will become effective. Addiction, in my opinion, is entirely able to be cured through self-control. If someone is able to put limits and seek others for help, he or she will be able to cure their addiction. Taking the vaccine is bound to have side effects as well, which may turn some people away from the drug.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Holy cow! Since when are addictions to be treated like a virus? Do you know how many different types of addictions there are out there? I think some drug companies are only seeing green, not a person that needs help. Besides, you are supposed to be vaccinated before you get the disease, not afterwards.
  14. sunflogun

Medicine advances and promises results, but to be honest I think they only see profit there. I doubt that messing with our body is the way to go.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Wow, so I guess this will make it easier for the people who wants to quit to actually do it! But I am guessing this kind of vaccination is ideal for people who haven't even tried coke? Either way, I'd not like to be one of the persons trying this vaccine for the first time, it really scares me to think they are playing with a virus... one of these days this kind of experiments are going to backfire at us. I am sure.
  16. sunflogun

Why do you make that comment regarding coke? Do you feel that the "vaccines" will not cover it? I am with you, I would not try it either.