An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Are Dabs?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by melody, Feb 25, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

I keep hearing this new term, dabs. I have been trying to figure out what it is, and the closest I can tell is that it contains THC, so it must be a marijuana alternative. I feel like this is just another passing fad, like spice (synthetic marijuana). What are dabs?
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Dabs is a wax made from marijuana. It has a higher concentration of THC. They say that once people start inhaling it the don't get the same high from regular marijuana.
  3. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

They're a concentrated form of cannabinoids. Cannabis concentrates can be made via many different methods, but most of them require a solvent (with the exception of ice water hash, hand-rubbed hash, and concentrates made from a heating element) that extracts the cannabinoids from the plant. The mixture is then purged until the solvent has evaporated, leaving you with a oily/waxy substance. It takes a lot less to get high (maybe 1/4 the size of a bb) and isn't as bad for your lungs since the concentrate is vaporizing and not combusting.
  4. melody

melody Active Contributor

Why would someone want to do dabs if it would have that sort of effect. The other thing I wonder is what is in the wax? I guess I compare making dabs from marijuana to making crack from cocaine. Is that a fair comparison?
  5. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

What sort of effect? It's just like smoking cannabis, except it takes much less to get high. Also, no, that isn't a fair comparison at all, nor is it an accurate one. Turning cocaine HCl into crack cocaine requires a chemical reaction. Making a concentrate is a simple extraction; there aren't any new substances being created.