An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What are sober living homes

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by sunflogun, Apr 17, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Most people might know what sober living homes are, but I imagine that quite a few don't. Even if the concept seems self-explanatory because it's a home where we get to live sober, other questions might be raised like do you get to live alone, who owns these homes and how do you access them. Any questions about the topic could eventually be discussed here.
    smartmom likes this.
  2. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I've always known of sober living homes as being court ordered. Where I am from it doesn't seem anyone seeks out sober living until they have become arrested. Its always their way to try and use the system. That's my understanding of them. Good or bad.
  3. sunflogun

That's an interesting perspective from sober homes. I never knew that court could order people to sober homes, but that definitely seems like a great idea. I just don't think people need to be in court to be given such a help, people should be able to apply to enter.
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I don't have a great idea about sober homes. I had a minor anxiety disorder and I'm recuperating well with medication and non-drug methods. I would like to think a sober home as community living, in which people are trained to help themselves apart from following a regular lifestyle. Any inputs by other members are welcome.
  5. sunflogun

I see it like that too Bonzer, it's a community where people have the same goal and therefore they will have an "easier" time doing it because they can work as a team and count on each others.
  6. ocurtis25

ocurtis25 Member

A sober living home is a family that is just high off life, and that wants
    success for themselves. You have some home that just really don't want
    smoking around their family, and kids. I feel a sober living environment is
    the best for every family.
  7. sunflogun

Nice way to put it ocurtis25, it's another family we are getting, pretty much like the family we get here on the forum, someone we can share our problems with and that give us support without judging. We do need more communities like those.
  8. TripleD123

Here locally a person who has been arrested and convicted of a drug charge can lessen their sentence by agreeing to reside at a court ordered and monitored sober living home. If they don't abide by the sober living homes rules they are sent back to jail to finish the original (and much longer) sentence. After they are released from that home they are usually required to get a job and live at a halfway house for a small period of time.

That's my insight. For some people they work wonders and are very successful.
    sunflogun likes this.
  9. sunflogun

I am not surprised that it works wonders because in fact it seems an integrated solution that can in fact contribute to solve the problem. Congratulations to those that had this idea because it's definitely a good one.
  10. TripleD123

I had a family member that it took a few tries and a few arrests before it really made her open her eyes. A sober living home and then an extended living arrangement at a halfway house is finally what made her sobriety stick. She even became the house manager of the home she was living at.
    sunflogun likes this.
  11. sunflogun

Those are the stories I love listening to Triple and it's great to hear a first hand testimony of someone who actually felt the difference by using a sober home.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I am just starting to learn about Sober Living Homes and it seems (especially from this thread) that they are typically government-run and court mandated. I am guessing when you speak of "Sober Living Homes" you are talking about a specific type of residential system of living, not necessarily a home that subscribes to completely sober living.
    I am blessed enough to have found sobriety and God before I needed the judicial system to mandate when and how I live, however this topic still interests me. I am having trouble finding information on the Sober Living Homes you are all talking about.
    Would you mind providing me some links to the types of homes you are talking about? I have the type of personality that when I get on a topic I have to devour everything about it and am having a hard time finding good info on Sober Living Homes (I presume that this personality trait must share something with my proclivity for addictions.)
  13. sunflogun

Here's a link http://www.rehabs.com/about/sober-living/

I think that if you look online you'll find more and hopefully something that suits you. I think it's a great thing these communities that can help a lot of people.
  14. Faithfulmarie

Faithfulmarie Member

This is the first time I am hearing about sober-living homes, and the concept sounds fantastic. Many times recovering addicts are forced to go back to the same environment where they were first addicted, because that where their homes are located. So there is much pressure to apply the tools that were given in the rehab. Sober-living homes appear to be a good transition.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

To be honest this is the first time I hear about them, they don't sound like something very desirable (not after reading some of the comments here). Gotta suck to be sent to one of those homes, at least for those who don't feel like quitting! I'd not like to be living with someone like that, I've seen how cranky addicts get when they don't get their fix. I wonder who supervise them?
  16. sunflogun

I don't see it like that Tremmie, I mean, if we have reached a point when we need sober living homes I think we should embrace that opportunity to improve, many would love to live in such an environment.
  17. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is very interesting! Until now, I had never heard of this. I am just glad that there is a place like this where people can get help with living. I have never been in this position but feel that people need help transitioning.
  18. sunflogun

That's pretty much how I feel too, I mean, if there is safer place where people can recover and at the same time have social integration, that seems an awesome solution.
  19. Lizzy19ph

Lizzy19ph Member

I'm not that familiar with "sober homes" but I do know about shelter homes. But the word "sober" itself connotes living in a relaxing environment where one can be stressed-free and can recover fast. A community wherein everyone is going through something and they can understand each other- they have the same goal of recovering from some kind of physical and psychological difficulties.
  20. sunflogun

I think that groups help. Where there is a group fighting towards to the same goal things tend to be easier than when we are alone.