An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What are sober living homes

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by sunflogun, Apr 17, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, living in a sober living home can give you some the methods, and help you need when you are tempted to turn to substances. You can get inspiration and support from those who have "been there" thus it is probably a helpful thing to do, and one that you should certainly consider if you want to make a commitment to sobriety that is lifelong and lasting.
    deanokat likes this.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

It's like I said before, it's the sense of group and community that helps, seeing someone giving the example is a huge boost to our own behavior.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

They are supposed to be a good healthy environment for people to do group discussions, live with other people who are recovering, and get counseling.
  4. sunflogun

I didn't know that counseling was available too, that is important, to have someone we can talk to and tell us how to proceed, at least in a first stage.
  5. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

High off life, heh. that's a great phrase. I wish I could be like that.

Sober living homes seems very interesting and helpful, living in a place where triggers are reduced to minimums which will make the recovering process easier. and you get to be with people who are dealing with the same problem that you are.
  6. sunflogun

lol, missed that comment from ocurtis. :D That's an interesting definition, but a little far off from the truth.
  7. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

In my country so-called Sober homes or halfway house or shelter homes are associated with the "Rich" substance dependents or addicts. The rich parent can afford to billet them in swanky private sober houses for a few months to recover. The poor substance dependents end up in Rehabilitation Facilities controlled by the government. Similar to a detention facility and discipline is enforced. Those with psychotic tendencies are separated.
  8. amr13

amr13 Member

My husband is a recovering alcoholic. He has been sober for almost five years and I've never had an off the wagon moment with him. We have a two year old daughter and I think that helps him a lot. I know he misses it but we almost never have alcohol in the house except for family gatherings like Christmas. I sometimes have a beer or a glass of wine when I am cooking with it but he is definitely okay with that. Although, we don't have an official title of "sober house" it is how we choose to live. He always tell me laughter is the best high he can get, so I try really hard to be funny:)