An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What are some prescription drugs that now are illegal?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by blastguardgear, May 13, 2015.

1. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I know this is a pretty rare thing. But I'm looking for a list of prescription drugs that once were legal but now are not. If one even exists.
  2. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Well, although it's not illegal under normal circumstances, there are some allergy medications that are illegal for you to purchase without I.D. or if you're under 18. For example. Things like Claritin D or Allegra D you can't even purchase over the counter normally anymore. The versions that DON'T have "D", you can buy normally. But the "D" ones have something in them that can be used to make meth.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

You have to be careful here. Prescription drugs are very rarely made 'illegal', I can't actually think of any. Doctors can generally prescribe anything they think fit so long as they don't break the terms of their license to practice. They tend to be withdrawn or de-licensed not made illegal.

Even stuff like diamorphine (heroin) and cocaine can be prescribed.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I can't think of anything specific but I remember a few cases where some consumer products that weren't exactly medicine were banned because they were being used to produce illegal substances. I don think there are lots of chemical medicine that get passed by the board only to have it retracted because from what I understand passing one of them takes decades.
  5. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

What about phin phin? What ever happened with that?
  6. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Quaaludes, maybe? I know they used to be around but no one has seen one in several decades.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

They put patents on these things they won't make them illegal. Money is made. It is an interesting question though. There are plenty that SHOULD be illegal.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I cannot think of any prescription drugs that become illegal. What I am aware of are some over the counter drugs before that now required prescription such as antibiotics.