An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What are the worst prescription drugs to mix with alcohol?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by BrandonA, Jul 29, 2015.

1. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

It is so hard to wean yourself off, I believe it! I am struggling with the same thing with a different medication. Mixing them with alcohol definitely intensifies the effects and can be a really bad idea. I wish I had never started taking prescription pain killers.
  2. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

If it says not to mix with alcohol, don't! It intensifies the effects and you never now how horrible you will feel! It could be a little or it could be a lot. Once I got so sick I ended up in the ER!
  3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Exactly. Never mix anything with alcohol. It's all bad. The question of what is worse is irrelevant.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think that any prescription drug can be harmful if taken improperly. I would agree that the benzos are the worst. Oxycontin which I am not sure which family that falls into is also potentially dangerous along with percoset and other pain killers. Other than the drugs themselves, side effects of the drugs are also something to look at, since many tend to be harmful when combined with other medications.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Oxycontin falls into the category of opiates, but the real danger of that one is that it contains acetaminophen (Tylenol). Tylenol & Alcohol together is a great recipe for a ruined liver. Oxycontin and Percocet are essentially the same thing, Oxycontin is time released being the major difference. Any prescription medication should just be assumed to be dangerous when mixed with alcohol. If you take prescriptions don't drink. That is the best advice.
  6. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

I would say any prescription drug + alcohol is a bad idea. Even something as innocent as a prescription allergy medicine could have a completely negative effect on your body. Alcohol consumption with prescription drugs in the mix is a bad idea anyway you like it. I hope your question isn't some way to fish for a safer yet effective solution.

That's not what these boards should be about.
  7. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Not at all, Billy. I'm actually doing a paper. But thanks for your concern.
  8. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

This. Alcohol with most painkillers is very destructive for your body and can lead to a "system shutdown". It's why most doctors and the labels on the prescription advise against that and operating vehicles until you gauge the effects of the drug. This is especially so if you have a low BMI (simply put, you are a thin or tiny person) since the effects that come from prescribed medicine and alcohol can have a more immediate or sometimes drastic effect on your body than someone with more meat and muscle on them.
  9. In my opinion, all prescription drugs should not be mixed with alcohol. If I drink, I keep it minimal. Plus, I wait many hours after taking any type of drug to have a drink. I take Lamictal, which is a medication I take to control my mood swings. I have to be very careful with my alcohol consumption. I don't drink often to begin with, so this really isn't a problem for me. Another drug that is not good to mix with alcohol is caffeinated beverages such as coffee and energy drinks.
    Another thing I am careful with is the use of pain killers that are sold over the counter. I take Advil, Midol, and Motrin, which are fine for me to take. I only take them if I feel like it's absolutely necessary.