An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What are your non-guilty pleasures?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amyleigh, Jul 8, 2015.

1. amyleigh

amyleigh Member

What non-guilty pleasures have you found to replace the highs of drugs or alcohol? We all need pleasure in our lives. The fact that we're here at this forum indicates that we've realized how bad addiction is for ourselves and our loved ones. However, we would not have fallen into addiction in the first place if the drugs/alcohol didn't bring us some sort of pleasure. What healthy (or at least not unhealthy) pleasures have you found to replace the addictive substances that you've given up?

My primary healthy pleasure is beautiful smells. I love incense, scented candles, and scented health and beauty products. I have a floral body wash that I particularly love; coupled with a nice hot shower, it brings some serious relaxation and enjoyment. I also love the pleasure of a good, strong cup of coffee.

What healthy pleasures do you enjoy?
  2. oldwriter

oldwriter Member

My non-guilty pleasure is to be continuously updated about topics I enjoy.

I love learning new things, especially in the fields of science, renewable energy and information technology.

I am happy running my day reading to keep myself informed and updated about new inventions, new devices, new gadgets, and the latest techniques in development... as well as finding new applications to existing things, especially those that can affect my life and that of the people around me in a positive way.

...Call it the productive non-guilty pleasure! :)
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

My non-guilty pleasure is humor. I love watching comedy movies since I love to laugh. I even imagine funny scenarios just to amuse myself and to make myself laugh.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Delicious scents are a pleasure for me as well. I just bought myself a couple of boxes of incense along with a replacement for my favorite scented bar soap. Lovely way to pamper myself!

Self-care and pampering in general is my thing, I suppose. I love getting out and exercising, or experimenting with makeup, or giving myself spa days, or playing dress-up for no reason, things like that. The great thing about it is finding new ways to use what I already have.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

My non-guilty pleasures would be music, books, and movies. I always get bored, so I have to find ways to keep me entertained at all times. I also do love pampering/treating myself such as shopping for new clothes, doing my hair and make-up, and eating delicious foods.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, it's working out or just being outside, among nature.

Getting those endorphins pumping is great for me because it keeps me busy, it makes me feel good, it's brilliant for my health and it keeps my body in good shape. I always feel so much better on the days I get a workout in - it's amazing what it does for my body and mind.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My hobbies, which I try to spend a lot of time on. I like programming, building computers, crafting stuff (I would love t o start crafting swords one day), design and also travelling. Those are my pleasures that keep me away from all the drugs and toxic substances.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I enjoy eating such as sweets and other local dishes. I make sure not to overeat since that will be not good. I also enjoy being online and reading some articles and replying on a forum like this where I can freely share my ideas and thoughts.
  9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I do also love these pleasures, and the aroma of a freshly baked bread coming out from my kitchen. I love how tasty smells the air when passing through a nearby chocolate factory at a given hours of the day, and the pleasure to walk barefoot on the grass whenever I can.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Chocolate and coffee for me. When they are both combined that is even better. I love the taste of both and I am completely happy when I have them.

I also love to read a very good book because I can escape in the story for a while and do not have to get high or drunk to do it.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

My non-guilty pleasures include coffee, books and music. I especially love "guilty pleasure" type music - the sort that it so bad, it's good. We all have our favourites!
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Ha, yes, music of the guilty pleasure variety is a great thing indeed! It comes all the way around enough that I don't feel guilty at all for enjoying it.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Walking the dog always makes me happy. Just taking him on a leisure stroll around the subdivision and forgetting about your problems for 30 minutes gives me a deep breath of fresh air and then I'm ready to face daily challenges.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Replacing with real pleasure. Healthy foods and eating a lot of it. Real pleasure in freedom from all that which is toxic including people. Freedom is the real pleasure to indulge in.
    Coffee? Another drug that is legal. Might want to read up on that one. It is actually in the same category as the illegal drugs in many ways if you look at it in depth. It is addictive and you will shake or sweat when you come off of it if you have consumed enough of it every day. I had a friend years ago that drank three large cups of Dunkin Donut's coffee every day. He was a mess when he tried to get off of that. Sweating, shaking and it he had to ween himself off of it. If that is not a drug I don't know what is.
    Laughter, sex, music, and yes the hot bath with incense. Candle light is my favorite.
  15. msmith14

msmith14 Member

I definitely have replaced alcohol with adventure! If I know that I'm feeling down about my sobriety or something like that, I schedule for some outdoor time. My hubby and I enjoy kayaking! There is a big river near our home that we will spend the day exploring. I also have the "guilty pleasures" of sweets! I indulge in sweet food, such a cake or cheesecake, anything along those lines. I definitely do not feel so guilty about eating that sweet as I would about drinking.
  16. Mine is bike riding and drowning out my thoughts with music. I know it is still sort of a way of escaping, but at least it is a positive way to do so. I have found physical activity to be very beneficial in occupying my time. Whenever all my friends are planning on going out for a drunk night, I plan a hike or a bike ride.
  17. srock

srock Member

Feeling healthy is my non-guilty pleasure. The natural high from eating fresh vegetables, from a good workout, or a deep breath. Nothing can beat that! I love the feeling of being healthy in my body. I feel the most alive, invigorated and gratified after a good workout.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

My non-guilty pleasures include cold coffee, iced tea, candies, snacks, tv shows, good movies and good books. I don’t think that they are the healthiest non-guilty pleasures but I enjoy them a lot and they are much better than drugs/alcohol.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

That list is almost identical to mine haha.
  20. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

Guitar. If I'm in the right mood, I can sit and play guitar for hours and not worry about anything else. Sometimes I like to play songs and sing, but I find just practicing scales or "noodling" to be really relaxing as well. I also like to just lazily play guitar while I'm watching TV. It's a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.