An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What are your triggers? How to you overcome them?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by WannaBfree, Apr 28, 2016.

1. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

As a newly recovering alcoholic (23 days today), I am faced with triggers that I have to overcome on a regular basis. My mother gets under my skin really bad, and she is a BIG trigger. I have limited my contact with her, and do a lot of "self talk". She is who she is. I can't change it. I need to accept her as she is and not let her bother me. Another trigger is the time of day that I always drank before....3pm. What seems to work is that I eat a big lunch. It curbs my appetite. I also stay busy since "Idol hands are the devil's workshop". I am curious about the triggers of other people and how they overcome them. Please share :)
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm so glad you're finding ways to overcome your triggers, @WannaBfree. That's a sign a real progress! And a big congratulations to you on 23 days of sobriety!! Super proud of you!! :)
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It's great to hear that you're willing to recover yourself from alcohol addiction, keep it up!
    Triggers are not an easy thing to deal with, I think that one of the biggest triggers for me when it comes to smoking are stress, finals, rainy days (yes, I know), and being around smokers... It's really hard for me but I try to control myself thinking about something else or chewing some gum, that has worked for me.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think triggers are something that even long recovered people have to deal with. I'm glad that you are able to control these triggers that you have. I think the first part of recovery is always recognising these triggers. Much like knowing your enemy, you have to know what are your triggers in order to gain power over them. For me, my triggers would have to be:
    • Certain places where I used to use these substances.
    • People who I used to hang out with while being around these substances.
    • A few relatives who get on my nerves, they can trigger some memories.
    • Places where I used to buy these substances.
    I used to avoid these triggers, back in the early part of my recovery. But I've been in recovery for a while now and I have faced these places and people as well. It can be hard to face them and there's that risk of relapsing. So I don't really advice doing so unless you're ready and has enough willpower to do so. But it can also be liberating knowing that these triggers don't control you anymore.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think until you become really strong in your recovery it is best to avoid these places you used to go to to get high. It can just be difficult to be around them I would think. The urge to use would always be present I would think. So, avoiding them should be the way to go I would surmise, as using again is probably not in your best interest at all.
  6. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

My biggest trigger is my birthday. My brother was 1 year and 360 days younger than me. He died 5 years ago. As a result in order to cope with his death, birthday and ultimately my birthday, I work towards having fun and memorable birthdays for myself. I've gone back to basics and had everything from a glamour make up party with a professional photographer and makeup artists, I've had puppy parties, and pottery painting parties. The goal is to create new memories that are tons of fun!
  7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

My biggest trigger is my boyfriend when he is drinking. I cannot stand the way he acts and find myself wanting to attack him by taking drugs. He doesn't like the idea of me using drugs and he knows that I will remain sober, but there are times when he drinks that it shakes me up. I get angry because I know that he could easily fall into addiction. The way I used to cope with his drinking was through having my own addictions. It felt like some sort of payback for me.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@lexinonomous... You said your boyfriend doesn't like the idea of you using drugs. Have you ever told him that you don't like him drinking? It seems that it should be a two-way street.
    lucky45 likes this.