An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What can I do to help my daughter?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by NancyBL, Sep 28, 2014.

1. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
    I would firstly like to say I and everyone else around here would like to give you credit for the fact that you decided to still take care of your daughter, in spite of everything she did to you and your family. These kind of parents is quite rare nowadays, as some of them make their children go away after their first mistake, without giving them any chance to apologize whatsoever.
    Secondly, there are many opportunities to teach your daughter the long-term consequences of consuming heroin, including drug therapy websites, ex-drug addicts social platforms and many others; a simple Google search can show them all. You should also restrain some of the rights you give to your daughter, and if her theft and violent behaviours persist, then seek professional help, as there wouldn't be too much you can do by yourself.
    I hope my advice will help you!
  2. regicide3342

regicide3342 Member

It looks like you really need to get her into rehab. That seems like the only possible answer to her problem. An addiction like that could quickly turn out to be fatal. In my opinion it is better not to risk it and just get her some professional help for the time being. I hope things work out for her. Best of luck to you and your daughter!
  3. Marissa's mom

Marissa's mom Member

4. Marissa's mom

Marissa's mom Member

5. Marissa's mom

Marissa's mom Member

Nancy,

Like many parents that have watched their children and families torn apart from this epidemic, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, as you probably know you can't help her until she wants help. My daughter just graduated from a program at Long Island teen challenge. She is now interning in the program and loves it. She is over a year sober but it was a long, painful road. I understand your husbands feelings, also understand how hard that is to do. If I didn't work in the medical field and have support from 2 awesome doctors I couldn't have done it. I moved almost an hour away with my two younger daughters. One night was tagged in a post on Facebook with her mugshot to read about her most recent arrest. It was devastating for my then 12 & 13 yr old daughters to see what had become of their sister and read the horrible comments from so many ignorant people. Friday I received a letter thanking me for showing her tough love and that no matter what she always knew I loved her and did what I had to do. Many thoughts and prayers to you.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think doing this again but possibly participating a bit more might help a lot, since departs can serve as a mediator in helping you communicate with your daughter. Chances are she is deeply troubled and it's something that she's not comfortable in telling you for some reason, but with enough effort and time it might eventually be possible to discuss it.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Kind of sad. Hope it's better now you made the post in 2014. Well there doesn't have to be heroine for this kind of situation to be happening. Any kind of drug can make this situation, even prescription.
    It's kind of criminal to threaten a family member or try to get them to leave. Abandonment really. Doesn't matter the age. People decide to be parents, you have to find a way. Problems in the marriage. More than likely there may have been problems to begin with. Usually one goes with the other with rebellious or defiant kids.
    Hopefully its all good now. But facing the demon can be challenging. I listened to a woman who has trouble with her teenage daughter. Some kind of psychological issues and prescription pills. I saw her a few times. I said to the mother she is on some other kind of drugs. Street drugs, I think E. The mom didn't believe me. I said ok whatever you think. Sometimes another set of eyes or a different thought pattern about things might help. I know that kid was on some other stuff. My point is that none of this stuff is good. So if she is rehabbing and not succeeding. What are they using to get her off? What other drugs are involved? Because obviously they are not doing her any good.
    A person just needs to detox and get clean. No more drugs to help with this or that. Just clean it all out. You see this woman was taking her daughter to the shrink. Getting her xanax and therapy. But what I saw was that more drugs were present. One is not going to help the other. Anxiety is not a prescription deficiency. Withdrawal is not a prescription deficiency. There are side effects that go along with these prescriptions that may not be conducive to recovery. You've got to dig deep and look for the best way. There could be something driving her right back to it, that's not her fault. She's made a mistake and helping her figure it out is the only way. Hopefully though all is good now.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Nancy, you won't like to hear this, but you are enabling your daughter... I agree with your husband idea, she should be left on her own... 3 years have passed, 4 times already in rehab... time to try something drastic. She is right now in a comfortable place, because she is an addict who feels she has your full support no matter what she takes from you, despite all the lying and so on. That is why she is not motivated to change, take that away from her and she might actually want to stay clean, at least try. She needs to hit rock bottom though...
  9. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

You can help your daughter. You can make her aware of the dangerous effects of heroine. You can give her a hope to by showing her many success stories on the Internet describing people getting rid of heroine. You need to guide her. She should not replace at any costs.
  10. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

I agree with you. She can send her daughter in rehab or something but don't you think that the personal support will be better than the support received from the rehab centers?
  11. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I would suggest that you put her into rehab. Make sure that she is put into a positive atmosphere. Also be sure that you stay supportive and let her know that.