An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What can we do to stop drug use?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mwin43587, May 27, 2015.

1. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

If banning totally the use of drugs is not effective enough to stop it completely, what do you think will stop it?
  2. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

Honestly, in my opinion, people will always use. I think what we need to focus on is harm reduction. I am a IV heroin addict, and I think there needs to be more needle exchanges, so IV users can get clean, unused needles and not have to reuse or share them since they would be readily available. I have unfortunately reused and shared rigs aka needles, with people (luckily, I have not contracted anything from it). Also, more affordable treatment facilities. I have been to quite a few rehabs and detox facilities and most are pretty darn expensive. Definitely for an addict who doesn't really have any money to begin with...
  3. mwin43587

Hi Danyell :) Thank you for sharing your insights to us. Would you mind sharing, how is your addiction now? I hope you are getting better :). By the way, I believe that banning it totally is the first step towards harm reduction. The government must find ways to provide affordable facilities for addicts who want to recover, this will help them alot.
  4. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

@mwin43587 well I have been to quite a few treatment facilities over the years of my heroin addiction. I just recently got out of another about a month and a half ago, and was clean for only a few days and then just went straight back to shooting up... It is seriously the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.
    mwin43587 likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It still depends on that person, whether he/she would stop or not. The only thing that would help that person to quit is to have self-control.
  6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

There's nothing we can do to completely stop drug abuse. People are always going to use narcotics. And some will be addicted to them. You can't control human nature. Obviously, you want to discourage drug use and abuse, but some folks just aren't going to listen. There's always going to be that segment of the population that gets hooked because it's just their nature. It's the way they are wired.
  7. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

We can speak up about our previous addictions. Those who take drugs are able to identify with those who have because we understand what they are going through. We can always be open with our children and tell them about the affects of drugs and how difficult it is to stop. We should take every opportunity that is available to us to help others.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Illegal drugs are practically banned from legal trade that's why they are acquired under the table so totally banning anything addictive is not the only solution to the problem of addiction. It is one solution but not the total problem solver. As long as there are illegal traders, there will always be supplies. I guess starting within one's self is another solution. If only we all have a strong resistance to the temptation of abusing drugs or substances, we won't have to be addicted. But it's human nature to have weaknesses and that's what sometimes brings us to the lowly path of addiction. All we can do right now is properly guide the younger generations so they won't fall into this trap. And if they do fall, we should never give up in trying to pull them back up.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Banning something very rarely does any good, especially when it comes to using drugs. People don't like being told what to do so they're likely to do the exact opposite.

One thing that would help, is a better knowledge of drugs and the effects they can have. If people are more aware of the harm they cause, I think this would help to at least make people think a lot more before they start using.
  10. mwin43587

Never lose hope!:) We all know someday you can have a better life than what you have now! :) Thank you for being brave enough to share your story with us.
  11. mwin43587

I absolutely agree with you! Self control is the most effective way to recovery. An addicted person must be responsible enough to control himself from taking temptations.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  12. mwin43587

Hi, it is sad to know but it is true. We cannot completely stopped the drug use, nevertheless I still hope we can at least cut the percentage of people using prohibited drugs. Thank you for your response :)
  13. mwin43587

Hi, thank you for sharing your wonderful idea :) As an ordinary person, we can help stop the drug use mainly by teaching our kids of the possible damage prohibited drugs can do to our lives. :)
  14. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I don't think banning it or stopping will do anything. The problem relies within parents or raising up of kids. If people actually had enough knowledge of life and how to raise up people and how to lead a good life that is not full of wildness and influences, it would of been much better. Better educate parents and all people, force it upon them so they realize and experience for themselves. There are ways, which have nothing to do with the development of drugs itself. We need the concept of love in society and build it not upon money but shape it around love and forgiveness, a lot of things would change along with it.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Very true. People should learn how to discipline themselves properly so as not to be dragged down by their addictions.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It is very hard to stop something as big, and frankly I don't see the solution for it. The most we can do is arrange campaigns to present the dangers of toxic substances and how an addiction can end someone's life in a flash.
  17. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

It seems almost hardwired into some the predilection for addiction. Hard reduction should be the primary policy going forward as prohibition clearly has not worked. I think community has a lot to do with it. As many can attest here social isolation and not having a support structure can assist someone getting into a negative lifestyle.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Those drugs are "illegal" and there are laws and penalties but there are still users/addicts. It is mainly because it brings money to the producers/sellers. It will be really hard to almost impossible to totally get rid of it.
  19. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I don't think we will ever see an end to drug use. All we can do is promote awareness and hope that it helps some people make the right decisions.
  20. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Banning drugs has helped somewhat, but evidently we will always have rule breakers. I believe reducing drug addiction starts from the home with good parenting. Parents must inform their kids from a tender age about the harmful and destructive effect of drug taking so as to dissuade their children from heeding to peer pressure and bad influences.
    Banning drugs has helped somewhat, but evidently we will always have rule breakers. I believe reducing drug addiction starts from the home with good parenting. Parents must inform their kids from a tender age about the harmful and destructive effect of drug taking so as to dissuade their children from heeding to peer pressure and bad influences.