An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you do in rehab?

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by ayywithemm, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

You hear of lots of people going to rehab, whether it is forced upon them or voluntary, and most change their life right round for the better.
    My question is, what really goes on inside rehab? Like, what do you do when you are there? Also, why is it that you can't do it at home but you have to go to a center?
    Thanks ;)
  2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

what you do in rehab really depends on the kind of treatment facility you choose - and the amount of work you decide to put into it. Often you will be participating in group therapy sessions, meeting one on one with doctors to hammer out a treatment plan and generally all around working on your self to help improve your wellbeing combat your addiction and make yourself ready to once again face life in the real world.
    LitoLawless likes this.
  3. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

Oh right, so a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous then :) except in a treatment facility where things are tailored to your needs. Thanks!
  4. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

for me i believe a rehab is just simply a place where an addict can go to receive good treatment so that he or she would return to their original health state
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think rehab is also important in that it removes all temptation from you - giving your body the chance to withdraw and detox. Some people will also require medical supervision whilst withdrawing and the rehab setting is much less oppressive than a traditional hospital.
  6. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdder Member

The best rehab centers don't focus only on the de-facto clinical treatment of the addiction and doctor-patient consultation in a very defined setting. They have available facilities where, in between healing procedures, you are exposed to the simple and genuine pleasures of life. A great, beautiful garden, with a lovely swimming pool, sports facilities such as tennis courts or table tennis tables, buffets with delicious and balanced, healthy food. These are just some of the examples, the goals of this are for the person in treatment to progressively realize that life has great things to offer, and you don't need to go for substances that kill you to reach a state of pleasure and peace.

And it is, quite frankly, essential. Just healing the condition doesn't do much, in my view, as it just takes a personal crisis to lead the person back into consuming.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

As mentioned above, it mainly depends on the type of rehab you go to and for what. However, the reason you can't do the same thing at home is that it is intensive and you are surrounded by professionals at all times, which you will not have at home.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I've been through two court ordered programs for two separate DUI's. I'm not sure if I would call either of them 100% traditional "rehab" programs, but there were some rehab exercises and group discussions and such.
    Nothing that I felt was effective or impressed with.

The first time around, I had to spend several days in a nearby Holiday Inn where we spent the entire days sitting through presentations from MADD, and lectures from other people - one of which included a Magistrate who came in and gave us a discussion about our rights with regards to DUI's. That was actually the only interesting thing out of the whole experience, since he was actually giving us a lot of good information to arm us with as if he was siding with us and admitting more or less the whole legal system with regards to DUI's is pretty corrupt itself and a big money making racket. Even the MADD spokeswoman admitted the same thing, but continued on with her speech.

We ate well, basically the hotel buffet, right along with the few guests that were staying there. They allowed us smoke breaks throughout the day. Aside from that they kind of treated us all like children and kept making us line up for head counts and such. At night they put tape over all of our doors and we weren't allowed to leave our rooms past a certain time. Apparently this was due to some prior attendants hooking up with each other while there.

Immediately afterwards I was required to do three days in the local holding cell at the police station. That sucked. It was a tiny room, I had no privacy as there was a camera on me at all times, so they basically saw me use the toilet there. The "bed" was a metal platform with a thin layer of padded vinyl on it that I could not fall asleep on. And the blanket was made from some strange material that was abrasive and more or less disintegrated by the time I left. The only good thing was I really didn't have to do three full days, as in 72 hours - I checked in late evening the first day, then left at like 6am the third day, and that counted as the "three days".

My second experience was at Oriana House in Akron Ohio, which I've detailed on another thread on here, so I won't repeat it all again.
  9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

All rehabs are different, they all tend to have different ways that they use to run the facilities, so every rehab has its own programm, I do believe that people check into rehabs, in order to make the transition, much more easier annd successful, it is difficult for some to quit on their own, alos some may be coming from homes that have people who are using, so my segregating themselves, the transition is much easier and with courage from peers at the rehab.
  10. mmalka

mmalka Member

I am going to agree that all rehabs are different into the way they run their place and how they can treat each person but the objective of treating that person is the same. I just hope that the person getting the treatment can use the facility to their advantage and take action to have a full recovery.