An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you do to celebrate?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by drc52, Jan 11, 2015.

1. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

This may seem like a weird question, but what do you like to do to celebrate your sobriety? I have heard numerous people say they celebrated their one year sobriety with a bottle of champagne, only to go back to their old habits.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Celebrate with champagne? That's very much like gambling away your sobriety. There are many ways one can celebrate sobriety.

An alcohol-free party would be fine I suppose. Or you could take someone special out for dinner then go watch a movie. That too, would be better than celebrating sobriety with a drink.
  3. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Celebrating with no alcohol can still be a thing. I, for one, enjoy having a few snacks and some sodas (like a children s party) when wanting to celebrate something.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Obviously, you have to keep things clean with no alcohol and other drugs. Eating some good food and talking among friends is the best way to keep off the bad stuff. Keeping the drugs out of that person's life is even better.
  5. Tournique

Celebrating with champagne is like smoking a cigar for your 5 year no smoking celebration.
  6. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

This all seems like good advice to anyone who might be struggling right now. Personally I avoided any alcoholic beverages on the day.
  7. GG88

GG88 Member

Personally, I think that if you want to celebrate your sobriety by using alcohol, then you must be in a pretty strange place. I know that there are some people who oppose the notion that you have to absolutely avoid something like alcohol rather than try to curb it and enjoy a little of it every now and then - I don't think I can subscribe to that idea.

There are many other ways to 'celebrate' that don't include alcohol. I like to have afternoon tea parties where I get to show off how much I've learned from my cake baking and decorating hobby. Or you could have a coffee morning where you try a few different blends etc.
  8. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I agree that celebrating sobriety with champagne sounds like a double edged sword. Maybe they don't consume any if it contains alcohol. It could just be at the party and they want to practice restraint. I personally wouldn't want the temptation but it can't be completely avoided. If I am attending an event and it's being served I wouldn't the hosts of the party to feel uncomfortable knowing that I am in attendance. I also would not ask anyone hosting an event I'm attending to not serve alcohol because I'm recovering. I heard on tv once to replace bad habits with good ones as a part of recovery but someone with an addictive personality can become addicted to anything. So learning to practice restraint is also a part of recovery.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

That is ridiculous! What an irony to celebrate sobriety with alcohol. The whole point is that you have not touched alcohol for a year. It think it is absolutely acceptable to celebrate because it is a gran achievement, but it should be more in line with the subject of celebration. Perhaps a special trip or a day out would be more appropriate. Even a dinner party with non alcoholic beverages would be appropriate. I like the idea of a cocktail party where you share all your cocktail recipes that you have discovered which can be made without alcohol.
  10. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree that it is quite ridiculous and counterproductive to celebrate it with an alcoholic beverage. Personally, I find little value in celebrating sobriety extravagantly maybe because I never had any experience in celebrating my sobriety. In my opinion, celebrating sobriety is good if its done in a productive way so I suggest taking the people who's been helpful to keep you sober for a good dinner while sharing your success stories and gratitude. It is quite nice to be able to appreciate them while congratulating yourself at the same time.
  11. 003

003 Community Champion

I treat my cousins and my sister some good snack like a pizza and together we'd binge eat and feel like we're in heaven. It's really good to eat with the people especial to you, people who you feel you are happiest to be with. I don't actually treat my friends. I am more glad to treat my cousins who I consider siblings and my sister. If I don't get them our favourite pizza, I just take them out for a movie and dinner.
  12. Tournique

As 003 stated, a pizza and snacks are also a good choice. Not everyone celebrates by drinking. You can take everyone out for dinner for example and it will be a great party!
  13. keeshamarie

keeshamarie Member

The way I celebrate is food and friends! Not a drop of alcohol allowed lol Usually its just myself and a few people who supported me through everything I went through just celebrating life honestly. It feels good to know that you have people around who are proud of you.. heck it feels good to be proud of yourself! lol So lots of food, fun and friends! Oh and good music doesn't hurt either ;)
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think a good way to do it would be to just surround yourself with the positive people in your life and to have fun activities with them such as watching movies, or just having some nice conversations over good food and coffee. It's probably not as wild and fun as getting wasted but it's good enough to be considered a celebration.
  15. Tournique

Surrounding yourself with positive is also a good start. Remember that the happiness comes from within and from outside. Every material possession keeps you bound to something and doesn't let you truly be happy.
  16. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I go to a restaurant and enjoy a favorite meal. I take a cup of tea or enjoy a large serving of ice cream. I thank God that I have been clean for many years now. I do not crave alcohol especially when I remember some incidences that pop into my mind once in a while. There was a time that I fell into a ditch full of dirty water when people were rushing home after work. It was in our capital city. That memory is enough to keep me clean for the rest of my life.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I often take my family out for lunch or dinner for a treat.I usually remind myself that they are my motivation and the core reason why am sober.They look up to me for guidance and moral support and i wouldn't want to disappoint them.
  18. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

Well while celebrating try to stay away from alcohol when you know you were previously all alcoholic or else the temptation might be there to slip back into the addiction.
  19. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I did not intend to say that celebrating with an alcoholic beverage would be a good thing! It's just that I heard a friend say that he thought there was no better way to celebrate not drinking for a year, than with a drink. I was hoping this would help people avoid a crisis if they found themselves in a similar situation.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I celebrated my first drug free year with a Domino's pizza, a tub of Ben and Jerrys and a litre of full-fat Coke (and by that, I mean Coca-Cola!). Celebrating sobriety with alcohol is just plain madness though!
    Rosyrain likes this.