An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you do when someone has alcohol withdrawal syndrome?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Profit5500, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I could remember I was watching Bar Rescue a few years ago and I recalled the owner having a drinking problem. I felt bad for him because when he was trying to stay sober and his hands was shaking. I cannot remember the name of the owner and the bar he was in but he was in a huge struggle. I was glad for this guy when the hand shaking had stopped. If I were to drink and become addicted then I would end up like that. What are some tips that can be used for people who have alcohol withdrawal syndrome?
  2. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

I would recommend keeping you busy. Doing exercises can already help or having a hobby helping you to keep your head away from the urge to drink. For heavy addicts I would recommend to talk with a doctor about other methods to stay sober. Withdrawal syndromes will happen one way or the other, so you need to find a way to deal with them until you're over the bridge and the syndromes start to disappear.
  3. Profit5500

Thanks for the tips DTracy3 it is very helpful. Exercising does help keep your mind off of things. I mean lifting the weights would make me not drink one bit. However I was never a drinker so I do not feel that drinking worries me as much. Then again I would not need to go that route and drink.
  4. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I think for severe cases, alcohol withdrawal should be treated medically under the guidance of medical professionals. It's because alcohol withdrawal can actually kill you. As much as I prefer natural remedies over medical ones, for cases of alcohol withdrawal, psychological cure alone is not enough. Psychological cure is great if it is done alongside medical treatment. For mild alcohol withdrawals, I think it's okay to do full psychological treatment without medical intervention because the risk of dying isn't there yet.
    angel_lou and morganmar33 like this.
  5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Distraction is key. You have to help the person get busy all the time. He has to be really really busy to the point that he does not have time to notice and dwell on the symptoms that he is experiencing. He should feel that time passes by so quickly that he fails to notice some things going on with his body. It's always good to engage in activities that that person truly enjoys. Also, it helps when you surround him with positive people, or those who give good influence.
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

It reallt depends on how severe it is. You should start under a doctors care, so that if the symptoms are very severe, you can be treated medically. Other than that, you will need to get over the hump and build coping skills.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Alcohol withdrawal should always be done under medical supervision. The body can actually go into shock because it has got used to the alcohol and now knows that something is missing. Such symptoms can be fatal, but there is medication which can be prescribed to minimize the risk of this happening.

I've never seen Bar Rescue but I feel sorry for the guy too. Trying to stay sober when you work in a bar must be an absolute nightmare!
  8. Profit5500

That is fascinating that the withdrawal can push one to their death. I did not think of it that way. Always had thought that the withdrawal was just a thing in its self. The fact that you can die from it is a huge wake-up call.
  9. shmangie

shmangie Member

Usually depends how bad the situation is, but I have learned that staying active can help. Exercising and getting yourself busy with things can help you pass the time of "need". Sometimes replacing the addiction with something else can help, but I can't imagine the struggle if you work at the bar while trying to stay sober. I think that it would call for a change of scenery.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I worked in a bar for a couple of years and had to deal with alcohol abusers on every level. I have seen people collapsing after binge drinking, and others just falling asleep without being able to wake up for hours. I've encountered violence, and other epic dramas. My solution was always to call an ambulance, just in case something was seriously wrong with a customer. And if there was some heated dispute going on, I told them in a professional way that they have to behave, as I don't want to call the police. Also, I always addressed drunks in a polite way, no matter how much they annoyed me, in a friendly, but firm way. I have sent drunk lawyers and doctors home in taxis, forbidding them to drive their cars. They were always grateful for my intervention. It was one of the reasons why they kept coming back, and why my tips were always large.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

For those with similar symptoms, i would urge them to take them positively as they are a normal part when one is withdrawing from alcohol. With time, the shaking will stop and one will be able to resume his/her normal duties.
  12. Profit5500

That is the issue nobody is positive about the little things anymore. It's like if you do something small no one would be supportive about it.
  13. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think the best one can do is think positvely and surround themselves with positivity. This should give them something to work towards and positive supportive people will only help enhance that.
  14. If the withdrawls are severe medical attention should be sought right away. In the case of anxiety, or mild shakiness I always tried to keep myself busy and keep my mind off drinking. I have noticed that the more water I drank, the better and I felt, and exercise is very helpful as well because it is a great stress reliever. Some days I want to lean on people for support and other days I want to be left alone, but having a strong support system around is very helpful.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Imploring the aid of a medical expert would be one of the best options, but of course you'd also need to do your part. Exercise and detox will speed up recovery and prevent withdrawal pangs within you. For the time being, a strong-flavored fruit juice would make for a good substitute.
  16. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

"The shakes" can happen from withdrawal from multiple substances, not just alcohol. I would get them from coming down after binging on cocaine too - and they were made even worse by me not getting any sleep the night before, meaning I had been up for over 24 hours straight. Also I've seen friends on medications for bi-polar disorders, who were also drinking while on these meds get them too.

I don't know if there is any practical way to prevent or avoid them, other than in the case of alcohol, gradually weening yourself off it. From what I've read, something happens when a heavy drinker is cut off cold turkey, whereby there is a rush of adrenaline in their brain which some how results in this and other symptoms.
  17. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

My father-in-law have the same problem. His hands are shaking and he can't write or hold a glass until he had alcohol in his body. He drinks everyday starting at two in the afternoon. And if something comes up and he can't have his fixed, he will start shaking. Problem is, he won't seek help.