An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you tell a habitual cigarette smoker to encourage him to quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kurvanna, Oct 9, 2015.

1. kurvanna

kurvanna Member

I have a very close friend who LOVES to smoke cigarettes. He has tried to quit a couple times, and has even asked me before to help him keep from continuing his bad habit. No luck, so far, as I would find him covertly smoking in his room with the doors locked. I'm at the point of just giving up on him, maybe he'll figure it out for himself when consequences become real; but, at the same time, I don't know if can personally justify such a train of action. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated!
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

People think quitting cigarettes is impossible, so by introducing a person who has quit will defenitely encourage him, I speak from experience. you seem like such a good person who cares about his friend, but why don't you just accept that he's a smoker.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

He will really need to help himself quit and not just rely on others. He should set his mind about quitting and look for motivations and not for reasons why he cannot quit. Agree that making him meet or knew someone who have successfully get rid of it can give him inspiration.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think addicts are really hard to convince otherwise, you can't really barge in and tell a smoker to quit when that person is at its peak of the addiction. Unless they want to get help, and that's when you should support that person, you can't really do much.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Quitting for good can only ever come from within. To be honest, there is little you can say or do to get your friend to ditch the cigarettes. He has to really want to do it for himself.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You can only encourage your friend the rest is up to him. It's probably really frustrating to see what your doing isn't working. Still the decision is up to the person that wants to quit or not. Maybe your friend will come around. Just try to to urge your friend to quit every chance you get.
  7. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

You can't get someone to stop doing something. They have to want to do it. And they will stop doing it when they are ready all by themselves. I am an x-smoker. I quit eight months ago. I didn't use a patch, I didn't taper down, I didn't take a pill. I just woke up one day and decided I was done. When you are done you are done.

I know, I know, so many folks say smoking is the hardest most addicting thing to quit, well I am here to tell you, tat is not true. Yes, I was uncomfortable for about 3 days. I had night sweats and cravings but it went away as long as I distracted myself with a healthy activity. Remember we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. How bad do you want it?
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have been trying to get my partner to quit for some time now. He never will. I think the more I try to encourage him, the more he smokes. You can try everything but until he decides to do it for himself there is not a whole lot you can do.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

You can't say or do anything to convince a smoker to quit, they've got to want to do it for themselves. Sometimes the more you nag them, the more stubborn they will be about it, so you have to be careful not to mention it too much.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

Just telling him to quit won't do much if he really doesn't want to. Something you can do, that scared the hell out of me, is showing him some pictures of black lungs. When a friend showed me that stuff, I seriously thought about quitting, until the scare went away. Get some pictures on your phone, and every time you catch him smoking, make him look at them.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

To quit he'll need a very good reason why he MUST QUIT. A friend of mine who was a chain-smoker stopped smoking when he became a father. He did it for his child. If quitting is very hard for you friend then it's probably because he doesn't the right motivation. Try to find out what he cares about most and have him use it as an anchor. It can help.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Try focusing on the positives instead of negatives. Tell them they'll smell better, they'll have more money, they'll feel better, they'll have less burns in their clothes, they'll feel free, more alert and alive and cleaner and fresher. They'll also increase their lifespan and they won't look or smell as dirty and will be more attractive. Instead of focusing on telling them what smoking is doing to them, focus on what ways quitting smoking will be beneficial.
  13. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

Hearing others tell me to quit makes me want to smoke more. It's a very difficult thing. When he's ready he'll quit. He'll have to have an eye opener but I'm sure if you're giving positive encouragement you're already helping him. Keep at him being positive.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't know it's a really good question. I know people who smoke like ridiculous amounts. I've tried. Someone I know lost their mother to lung cancer. Still continues to smoke four packs a day. I use to say anything that I could think of to get this person to quit. He was a customer that would drink beer when I bartender. His friend would joke about how when they were on the boat you could always tell where he was at night. Just look for the cigarette light hanging out of his mouth. I would say when you do decide to quit could I have the money you save so I can buy myself a new lung.
    There is no rhyme or reason to why someone would smoke so much. It's like you might as well go suck on the exhaust pipe of a car. I always think of the Beetle Juice scene where the old lady in heaven is sitting there waiting to go into heaven. She's smoking a cigarette and the slit in her throat is letting the smoke out. She sounds like this horrible mess. Coughing and hacking as the smoke creeps out of her neck.
  15. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

There's not much you can do about it, quitting smoking isn't easy and will only be achieved if the person really wants to quit and is motivated. What you could do is try to find something that motivates him, something that motivated me was learning about why you feel the need to smoke, what's the processes behind smoking cigarettes and the nicotine effect. That just showed me I wasn't smoking because I wanted to, made me realize how dumb I was for being the consumer in the tobacco business. Once I understood I had fallen into a trap, and only smoked because other people wanted to profit from me, I attempted my first quitting process, It didn't work but certainly was a good start.
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It's not easy but he has to find his own way, there isn't anything that you can say that will stop him in his tracks. The best thing you can do is give him motivation he will sooner or later see that he will be better off not smoking.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sadly there is nothing you can do to convince a smoker they have to quit. Some smokers who have been smoking for a long time don't see it as a problem... some people are just like that and there is not much you can do for them :/ I know because I am experiencing this with my fiance. I have come to terms with the fact he will never stop... until he dies because of it. Sorry to sound grim, but I really think that is what is going to happen with my fiance.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That's a tough situation for everyone involved. I'm sure your friend is fully aware of the effects of smoking, but the nicotine addiction is a very hard one to kick. The best thing you can do is continue to encourage him to try alternatives like nicotine gum, patches, or vaping.
  19. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I sincerely would not say anything, that's his decision and I shouldn't force him however if he asks me for any advice I will gladly give it to him because if he is interested in changing himself he will no matter what. I'd recommend him just to stop smoking and hit the gym or something to take his mind of the addiction so he can be better someday, that's what I tell people.
  20. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Introduce him to vaping. Thats how I gradually quit from smoking and I have been clean for around 2 yeas now.