An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you think about substance abuse in modern day society?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Optimismo, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Optimismo

Optimismo Member

Are we getting better or worse at dealing with issues of substance abuse? In the past few decades years drugs have been a hot-button issue in politics. There's also the more prevalent attitude now that alcoholism is a legitimate problem that takes real, professional help. These things seem to be positive indicators of how our nation, and the world is moving forward in terms of dealing with substance abuse. On the other hand, movies and tv shows tend to portray substance abuse as glamorous or interesting. Cool, brooding heroes or fun, carefree characters tend to do drugs constantly on screen and some could argue that it's only glamorizing the world of substance abuse and more likely to make bad decisions in the future. What are your thoughts?
    missbishi likes this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think that things are getting much worse to be honest with you. The world is more populated than it has ever been and there is a much bigger disparity between rich and poor. With all the stress that occurs in everyone's lives, it is no surprise to me that there are more drug issues. It does not make it right, but it is understandable.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. Optimismo

Optimismo Member

That's true, but I also keep reading about how with younger generations drug use is actually down, with the exception of cannabis. I find it hard to believe but that's one thing I've seen show up over and over again. Of course, I've also heard about things like the ineffectiveness of the D.A.R.E program in schools (which supposedly makes people more likely to do drugs) and a seemingly new drug every year and it can make things seem very questionable. Then of course there's the issue with the amount of drunk driving incidents every year and you've got some pretty scary looking issues facing us, even if people say we're moving forward.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think if there's ever positive change in all these, it would be the more open view of society when it comes to drug use. People are no longer afraid to discuss about their drug/substance abuse and it is a positive note because they feel more understood and they would feel it easier to open up. However, with the advancement in technology and the modernization of times, substances and drugs have become more popular as what you said @Optimismo. some TV shows and movies do tend to glamorize the use of substances and drugs as though they're important in making someone look cool and accepted. Overall, I think drug and substance use has evolved both positively and negatively through the years, but the problem is still and always be the same - how to prevent and covert anyone from ever using drugs.
  5. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Interesting discussion, and I'd tend to agree with the worsening of the problem. Education and jobs are ultimately the answer to many issues in society today - why would you do drugs if you are properly educated, have a loving wife and a beautiful kid to support?

People do drugs for a whole host of reasons, including escape from everyday life, mental health, peer pressure, addiction to name a few. These are clears social issues and as @Rosyrain mentioned, as the global population grows, these issues tend to become more prominent. Perhaps legalization of drugs, then channeling that money into harm minimization and social programs might be method for reducing substance abuse in general?

It begets the question - are we comfortable to have things like marijuana, for example, available as easily as beer, wine and cigarettes?
  6. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

While I don't condone substance abuse, I can most definitely understand why it is such a problem. In the USA and the rest of the world, the gap between rich and poor is becoming much more apparent, insane even, with the 1% owning over 40% of America's resources, on top of plenty of other socioeconomic issues plaguing society.

It's no surprise that people see substance abuse as an escape, or maybe a way to do better in society, as is the case with Adderall and many high school and college students. People are being pushed beyond their limits in many ways, and considering how easy it is to acquire just about any substance, it's no wonder people do it. That being said, I do not, in any way, condone substance abuse.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's hard to say, as I think there's elements of drug abusers and addiction that go both ways. I would say that there are some ways of combatting the addiction epidemic that seem to be good - thinking outside the usual box and realizing it's a health issue rather than a criminal issue helps, I think.

But these days I also think it's tough for addicts because of the ease of obtaining drugs. It seems a lot more simple than it once did - perhaps owing to the Internet and things like that.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think the government is doing everything that it can when it comes to minimizing drug trafficking. They are aware that it can help people too, like in the case of marijuana, so they are now adopting an open mind in allowing it to be used for medical purposes, but within controlled doses.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that is is getting worse in here. It is because they are no active campaigns or programs now that would discuss and stop drug abuse (or maybe I am just not aware of those here). It seems they are less concern with this issue and busy on other issues like corruption and how to stay in their positions.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that these days it's getting talked about more than it used to be, and that can only be a good thing. There isn't as much stigma attached to drug abuse these days as what there used to be.

I think the amount of people using drugs as stabalised and while it's not got any worse, it's certainly not got any better either. People are just more aware of the dangers these days, even if that still doesn't out then off using them.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

People do though. This forum contains many stories from those whose parents were addicts themselves and others who are addicts as well as being parents. Having children is not a cure-all.

There are also many here with loving spouses and those who are educated to degree level and beyond (including myself) but have still had issues with addiction.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have no idea why, but it seems more and more people are getting into substance abuse. Some people might think I am crazy, but I really think this is the result of all those years of glorification of drug use and drugs in general brought to you by our media. I watched so many TV shows and movies where smoking and drug abuse was glorified for years, also when I was a kid. I can help to think that does send a message to the subconscious and it sticks there...

It can't be good to watch that kind of things, not at all :( Sadly the media is still glorying the use of alcohol and drugs, not as much as before, but still. Can't help but to think all that has something to do with all those new drug users.
  13. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

The statistics have gotten a lot worse and drugs have become more prevalent and available. Stress has also increased enormously in recent years. Many more individuals than ever before are finding it difficult to cope with their problems and are turning to substance abuse because it is so available. You can even become a drug addict by visiting the right doctor.
  14. Nelja Lerob

Nelja Lerob Member

I for one think it's getting worse. Nowadays, it is so easy to get your hands on marijuana, lsd, etc. The drug makers are making drugs in new ways that weren't around earlier. It's become very clear that drugs are a huge problem in our society with almost anyone and everyone having access to drugs. I think our personal problem lies in the fact that many think it's both acceptable and safe to do drugs, even though it is not.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do agree that we are all more willing to openly discuss drug issues and that is a good thing. If the conversation stays alive and people are willing to talk about their problems, we can start to fight a bigger fight against drug abuse. It is not a taboo topic like it used to be.
  16. princepts

princepts Member

I believe that we are getting better at dealing with substance abuse issues. This is due to the fact that drug abuse as became an epidemic. Addiction, has steamrolled through families and communities, without prejudice or bias. When the United States was attacked in 1941 we entered World War II. Our involvement stemmed from a major security threat. Likewise, treatment options become increasingly available simply because we must deal with the threat(s) drug addiction imposes. The foundation of this nation has been affected in so many ways that to ignore its’ presence only invites future catastrophe. What we have, concerning treatment, may not be perfect, but it does work and so far consistent progress is being made. My .02.
  17. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

If we would be honest here, we would all agree that drug abuse is just getting worse. As we advance in every area, it seems there has also been major advancements in drug abuse. Though, there has been measures taken to reduce it, but it just keeps getting worse.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Nowadays, it's getting pretty disturbing and alarming. The legalization of marijuana in some areas also affected me in a bad way. People could easily get access with a pot, and teenagers could be tempted to try it. Instead of improving, I think the substance abuse situation around the world is getting even worse. I am now dreading the future of this issue.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think that in the party scene, it is somewhat glamorized. If you go to a club or you look on something like Tumblr or twitter, it's all over the place.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

But on the flip side, there are so many people who are creating awareness for different substances. There's tons of campaigns against drinking and other drugs out there today