An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you think about those tobacco commercials?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by courtjesraspen, Jun 28, 2015.

1. You know the truth commercials. Where that guy is trying to hire people to work at a tobacco company?

I think they're stupid. It's trying to make it seem like people who can sell cigs knowing that they are harmful are bad people. But the people who buy them should know this too right? I'd have no problem working at a tobacco company. It has the warning right on the box. Whats ur opinion?
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I haven't seen those for a long time. But I think it's a good way to TRY to stop the next generation from smoking. Keyword, TRY. Not sure how effective it is though
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

No, I think they're informative.
    yeah, people should know that they are harmful, but so many people die of cigarette related diseases every year.
    So, it's better to inform people, then just ignore the issue.
    & I wouldn't want to work at a cigarette company.
    it's basically saying that I support tobacco companies and what they do to your body.
    Which I don't :)
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I don't pay any attention to them. The government has it set up so that the public can only hear one side of the issue--their side. Anyone who tries to force-feed me only their side of a topic gets ignored by me. If they are so insecure about their position that they prohibit other views, then their position isn't worth my time.
  5. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

For me personally, I don't need it because I've seen the damage first hand. But I wonder if they are really working. I know what they set out to do.

But have you seen it lately, I think there are more smokers now than there have ever been. I can't walk 1 block without running into a smoker. So for an anti-tobacco campaign, it doesn't seem to be doing a good job.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen those, too. I feel like I rarely see any anti-tobacco commercials anymore. And the ones I remember, I tend to remember for the wrong reasons, like how awkward or unintentionally hilarious they were.

If working at a tobacco company were my only option, sure, I’d do it. But if I had other options, no thanks. I’d have too many misgivings.
  7. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I think they're bad, but not for the reasons you may think. Those commercials were created BY cigarette companies to inform people how bad their product was. But in truth, I think what they were REALLY used for was more publicity. As the above said, it seems like more people smoke now than before. I have the same thought.

And it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. I mean come on, what company is going to try to make people NOT buy a product of theirs without some ulterior purpose?
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

People who smoke usually know the risks, and they don't need any commercials to remind them this. I don't even watch TV, only traveling/nature/history channels which don't have commercials in general. And let's be honest, anti smoking-commercials never had any impact.
  9. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

I think they are quite counter-effective, if anything. You see someone smoking on the TV, and subconsciously you want to do that, too, even if the message of the advertisement is that smoking is harmful.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have seen such commercial and I do not think that is being commercialized here.
    I think it is a good thing that cigarette/tobacco commercials are not being aired here anymore. Also more warnings on the labels should be seen here just like on those other countries with photos.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Problem is a lot smokers are addicts, addicts might know what they are doing is harmful (or not) but they still go ahead and do it, because addictions know NO REASON OR LOGIC. So I see smoking companies as drug dealers, being able to sell their horrible drug to drug addicts all around the world without any kind of legal problem. That is the reality.

That bieng said, no I'd not have any problem working at a tobacco company, since all I need now is a job (so I can save for a surgery to remove this damn cavernoma from my brain!). A job is a job, my fiance is a smoker who seems to be unable to quit. He has taken his decision, he doesn't even try to quit.