An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you think is really needed for a drug rehab center to be successful?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Merricat, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Merricat

Merricat Member

I've been looking into various rehabs and treatment options, and while I figured they would be expensive I was shocked at actually how expensive they are! The insurance that I get through my work is not that great, and so obviously the places where I can ride horses and go to sweat lodge or a spa retreat aren't going to be an option.

What should someone be looking for in a low cost treatment that will really help someone with their addiction? What did your treatment center have available that helped you?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think those low cost rehabs with support of various non government organizations will be a good one. It is because those support groups might be composed of recovered addicts or will love ones who have been into addiction too. Those people will really have genuine care and compassion to those in the rehabs.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think as long as the particular place you eventually choose is run by people who genuinely care and know what they are doing then you should be fine. Most places are run mostly as a business first so they put a lot of bells and whistles on it and while it works for some it is hardly the standard because what's really important at the end of the day is that you get guidance from knowledgable people.
  4. tckc

tckc Member

I've been to three different treatment centers. I think the last one was so successful because it really emphasized getting connected with your local 12-step fellowships. Those groups are free and large cities have upwards of 15+ meetings a day.

Rehab is good for drying out and learning about your disease, but you are surrounded by other unhealthy addicts all day. These aren't exactly the best role models to emulate. It's important to connect with addicts who have some recovery so that you can see what the future holds.
  5. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I agree with this completely. The people who work at the rehab centers should be people who actually care about the patients and their situations.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right. It is because no matter how good or beautiful the facilities are, if the people working there do not have genuine care, there will be less success.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Exactly. I have seen too many people struggle with addictions to let them go to a place where I feel like they will be neglected in the long run. It breaks my heart and angers me whenever I see employees who seemingly do not care one single bit.